• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

All Line Rover: Date Matrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Goddard

Established Member
As posted elsewhere, we are a few days into a 14 day All Line Rover.
When we bought the tickets, the system also printed date matrix cards.
I have had these before with a 3in7 day rover (makes sense) but could not understand why we got them with an ALR, which is clearly for consecutive days as marked on the ticket itself.
My question here is- whats the point??

We managed to travel on sixteen trains on Saturday and Sunday until we boarded a train at Exeter when the conductor very abruptly asked to see the date matrix cards. We then had to sit and fill in the dates to keep her quiet.

Got through all of today without needing them either, so clearly can't universally required.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brucey

It appears to be an issue with FGW's ticket issuing equipment at the moment. Not sure whether other TOCs are also affected, but I've heard many reports relating to FGW.

rail-britain

Established Member
We managed to travel on sixteen trains on Saturday and Sunday until we boarded a train at Exeter when the conductor very abruptly asked to see the date matrix cards. We then had to sit and fill in the dates to keep her quiet
Complain to FGW, that is not required with this ticket
What would be the point of filling in the dates?
I suspect FGW have applied this as they don't agree to the way in which the ticket is printed, the dates of validity are not obvious

David Goddard

Established Member
Thanks for the comments both. You rightly worked out that we bought them from FGW - Reading in actual fact.
I will raise this with FGW when we get back.
Was asked to see the dates twice today - this time on ATW - but much more politely too. When we said about it to the second inspector, they realised what we meant and said that they fully agreed. Why the need to mark 14 days when only 14 are available?

I got an All Line Rover on Saturday from East Coast and it didn't have a date card. And I also got a very friendly 'thank you very much, Sir' from the ticket office staff!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
:D At my TOC you might get a big kiss from the guards if you buy an All Line Rover !! LOL :lol:

This would presumably happen with any TOC. It would be a quite hefty commission. ;)

Well, maybe not some EMT guards if my experience is anything to go by.

island

Veteran Member
I understand some TOCs may have informed on-train staff that they are not to sell ALRs because they're afraid they might have been bought with stolen credit cards.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
This would presumably happen with any TOC. It would be a quite hefty commission. ;)

What level of commission would one receive on a 14 day Standard ALR? Hopefully a reasonable amount to have made the young lady's day when she sold me mine recently.

RJ

Established Member

Anything up to a day's wages presumably! Some LM staff are on 5% for the first 100 tickets sold then 10% for everything else.

As for EMT's guards, I don't ever give them any money, even when they tell me I have to to remain on the train :p

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Bloody hell- I did not think you could buy All Line Rovers anymore. OMG they bring back wonderful memories. What do they cost?

Comes in two versions - 14 days or 7 days.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/promotions/pr569241c35ce74100fb0de1b9798124/details.html

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/promotions/pr20780b0a0400020167ed620a7e504e/details.html

Anything up to a day's wages presumably! Some LM staff are on 5% for the first 100 tickets sold then 10% for everything else.

So if you sold 100 local tickets for the day and then someone comes along to buy an ALR, you'll be laughing. :) (OK, I don't literally mean you but one of those in the group you mentioned.)

Brucey

"Err, sorry Sir, could I sell another 6 tickets before I print your All Line Rover?" :D

Polarbear

Established Member
I recall on my last ALR, a date box was provided for unknown reasons (it was issued at Chester but I will stress this was a good few years ago).

I had no issues other than in Scotland. Departing Inverness en route to Aberdeen, the conductor asked me to date the ticket & I explained (or tried to) that I didn't need to do so. He then snatched the ticket off me, dated it himself & threw the ticket back onto the table. :roll: He then preceded to blank me when I asked why he had done this, which was ignorant to say the least.

On my next train, (Aberdeen-Edinburgh), the date box was requested along with the ALR. Again, I asked why I had to date the boxes given the fixed 7 day validity but was told it was mandatory.

This was on day 2 of my ALR. I had no issues after that?

I can only assume the staff presumed the ticket was a Freedom of Scotland pass, but in any case, they weren't doing their job properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.