• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

All Line Rover help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueFox

I'm thinking of getting an All Line Rover, starting on 23rd or 24th June.

I enjoy travelling by train and want to use the seven days to visit places I've not been to before. I'm not bothered about travelling on every last inch of track, or what kind of trains I'll be travelling on, I'm more interested in scenic journeys, and somewhere interesting at the end of them - even if it is for just half an hour before I get on another train.

I plan to spend a day doing the heart of Wales line (and some of South Wales), a day in Devon / Cornwall, a day in the south east (Kent, Sussex), and a day in Norfolk.

Can you recommend the best journeys in those areas?
And which should be avoided?

I'm also looking for some decent places to stay in Norfolk and the South East, just one night in each. As cheap as possible, near a station, and preferably not having to share a bathroom. I'm not bothered about meals etc, just somewhere to sleep.
Any recommendations?

I might do the sleeper from Paddington to Penzance on the Sunday night. Is it likely to be busy/fully booked?
How late can I leave it before booking a berth?

Is a seven day ALR valid on the Welsh Highland Railway?
The National Rail website mentions the Ffestiniog Railway on the details page for the 7 day ALR, but on the 14 day version it also says it's valid on WHR.
It would be odd if it was valid on the 14 day but not the 7 day, but can someone confirm it.

I have a hotel booked in Birmingham, not far from New Street, and am thinking of getting up early and getting the 05:00 Cross country service from Birmingham New Street to Cardiff. But The ALR isn't valid on XC trains from New Street before 10AM. The first stop after BHM is Cheltenham Spa.
Will I have any problems using a 19c split on this train, and what is the appropriate station to buy a ticket to?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
I plan to spend a day doing the heart of Wales line (and some of South Wales), a day in Devon / Cornwall, a day in the south east (Kent, Sussex), and a day in Norfolk.

Can you recommend the best journeys in those areas?
And which should be avoided?

For South Wales I would head West from Llanelli and do Pembroke Dock, bus (unless there's a ferry these days, which I doubt) across the estuary, and come back from Milford Haven or Haverfordwest. Of the Valleys, I rate Rhymney the most interesting scenically, and using a bus again would allow you to do Ebbw Vale or Merthyr without doubling back.
Newport to Hereford has some fine scenery too.

Devon and Cornwall - spoilt for choice, I would go for St Ives, Looe and Gunnislake first and put Paignton bottom for scenery.

Kent and Sussex - the Arun Valley line (via Dorking), the Medway Valley, Swanley to Ashford, Tonbridge-Hastings-Ashford. Least scenic perhaps Faversham-Ramsgate?

Norfolk - Ipswich (Suffolk!)-Lowestoft-Norwich-Sheringham (but Cromer is more interesting if you're not into preserved lines). Yarmouth if you can do both routes. Norwich-Ely rather than the main line.

Don't want to start arguments - it's all fairly subjective!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The Railway Hotel in Faversham is, as you'd expect, opposite the station and I liked it that much I've had twocmulti-night stays there and will no doubt use it again on my next Kent Rover! Average of £36 a night without breakfast, but it's so conveniently placed it's worth it. En-suite rooms too so you're safe as houses there.

Cornerhouse B&B in Ashford also gets my vote, I will be staying again when I'm down that way. I forget the ching and it's a 10 minute walk from the station but I had a great stay.

Without checking my TripAdvisor logs I can't remember the exact name of the ones I recommend in Hove, within a 10 minute walk of Hove and Albrighton stations. Brilliant stays at both, I will have to find the names for you.

Can't help with Norfolk, only ever used a Travelodge in Norwich over there.

James Wake

I'm thinking of getting an All Line Rover, starting on 23rd or 24th June.

I'm also looking for some decent places to stay in Norfolk and the South East, just one night in each. As cheap as possible, near a station, and preferably not having to share a bathroom. I'm not bothered about meals etc, just somewhere to sleep.
Any recommendations?

I recommend if it is still available the Kilbrannan Guest House in Great Yarmouth, great breakfast, the owners are fantastic and they will pick you up and return you to the station (as long as the times are reasonable). I stayed there a few months ago and in the morning they dropped me back at the station for the 0917 loco-hauled train to Norwich.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
They still have a room for £62 on the 26th, 27th, 28th, 29th and 30th June, but be quick as it is the best guest house in Great Yarmouth according to TripAdvisor, it has got over 300 5 star reviews.

higthomas

One thing to bear in mind is that given your proposed usage of the ALR; I.e. Spending time in specific areas, most of which have local rovers available. It might be cheaper to just buy a few local rovers and rangers and use normal tickets between them. I know it's a lit less free and fun, but depending on your money situation it might be cheaper. :)

anti-pacer

Established Member
To be honest when I did mine a lot of train managers/conductors (call them what you will) commented that they hadn't seen an ALR for ages. I wonder what the likeliness is that your XC conductor will know the 10am rule.

I get why it's there at Birmingham New Street but a train LEAVING at 5am is hardly a rush hour train.

BlueFox

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I've booked a night in the Ibis hotel a minute's walk from Brighton station, for £25. Cheaper than any of the B&Bs in the area. Part of their happy Mondays offer - http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/promotions-offers/week-end-offers/owm001333-happy-mondays.shtml

One thing to bear in mind is that given your proposed usage of the ALR; I.e. Spending time in specific areas, most of which have local rovers available. It might be cheaper to just buy a few local rovers and rangers and use normal tickets between them. I know it's a lit less free and fun, but depending on your money situation it might be cheaper. :)

That's something I've considered, but I don't think I could save much without using Advance tickets, which I don't really want to do. I'll have another look at it when I've worked out a full itinerary.

I live in Carlisle, and will be making at least one trip home during the course of the week, and several other long north/south trips with Virgin EC and WC, so I'll be getting good value from the ALR.

Kite159

Veteran Member
To be honest when I did mine a lot of train managers/conductors (call them what you will) commented that they hadn't seen an ALR for ages. I wonder what the likeliness is that your XC conductor will know the 10am rule.

I get why it's there at Birmingham New Street but a train LEAVING at 5am is hardly a rush hour train.

Depending which route that XC takes you could probably get away with a single to Five Ways or Kings Norton and use rule 9C ;)

anti-pacer

Established Member
Depending which route that XC takes you could probably get away with a single to Five Ways or Kings Norton and use rule 9C ;)

This train goes out via Smethwick onto the Kidderminster line, and through there and Worcester to the main line heading south west.

What is rule 9C just out of interest?

Last edited:

BlueFox

What is rule 9C just out of interest?

A typo?

Probably means 19c:

19. Using a combination of tickets
You may use two or more tickets for one journey as long as together they cover the entire journey and one of the following applies:
(a) they are both Zonal Tickets unless special conditions prohibit their use in this way. The Ticket Seller will, if you ask, advise you whether you can use a Zonal Ticket in combination with another ticket.
(b) the train you are in calls at a station where you change from one ticket to another;
or
(c) one of the tickets is a Season Ticket (which for this purpose does not include Season Tickets or travel passes issued on behalf of a passenger transport executive or local authority) or a leisure travel pass, and the other ticket(s) is/are not

anti-pacer

Established Member
A typo?

Probably means 19c:

19. Using a combination of tickets
You may use two or more tickets for one journey as long as together they cover the entire journey and one of the following applies:
(a) they are both Zonal Tickets unless special conditions prohibit their use in this way. The Ticket Seller will, if you ask, advise you whether you can use a Zonal Ticket in combination with another ticket.
(b) the train you are in calls at a station where you change from one ticket to another;
or
(c) one of the tickets is a Season Ticket (which for this purpose does not include Season Tickets or travel passes issued on behalf of a passenger transport executive or local authority) or a leisure travel pass, and the other ticket(s) is/are not

So none of that would enable you to get a ticket to anywhere close to Birmingham New Street.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Smethwick West, using the season ticket rule

Yes I did mean 19C, must have missed the 1 of last night when at beeston

There isn't a station called Smethwick West, but let's suppose there was, would the train not need to stop there?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
There isn't a station called Smethwick West, but let's suppose there was, would the train not need to stop there?
It would not, a All Line Rover for the purposes of 19c is a Leisure Travel Pass. It would be completely valid for an enthusiast to travel out of New Street at a restricted time with an ALR as long as they also hold a valid single ticket to the first station which the train passes through, although need not stop at that station.

Leisure Travel Pass is defined within Condition 19:
For the purposes of this Condition, a “leisure travel pass” means any multi-journey ticket (excluding Season Tickets) valid for:
(i) at least 7 consecutive days; or
(ii) at least 3 days in a period of at least 7 consecutive days
and includes rover tickets, travel passes, exipass tickets and BritRail passes.

See above, posting by Blue Fox, for the extract from Condition 19c.

Last edited:

anti-pacer

Established Member
It would not, a All Line Rover for the purposes of 19c is a Leisure Travel Pass. It would be completely valid for an enthusiast to travel out of New Street at a restricted time with an ALR as long as they also hold a valid single ticket to the first station which the train passes through, although need not stop at that station.

Leisure Travel Pass is defined within Condition 19:

See above, posting by Blue Fox, for the extract from Condition 19c.

Well I never!

When I did mine I passed through New Street before 10am on a XC train from Derby to Winchester. I believe the restriction only applies if you board of alight at New Street before 10am, so I'm guessing I was well within my rights to pass through?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Passing through is fine, boarding and alighting is restricted.

LeylandLen

So what about changing trains at BNS ? I plan to get an ALR in July starting prob on a Monday , using the 0717 Virgin Preston to Euston via BNS , arrive 0905 , changing onto 0917 York to Plymouth . Obviously I am aware of the restrictions as it arrives at BNS before 1000 am. I know I can change at Wolverhampton onto a following LM or ATW to change at BNS but it will mean a later dep for me for Plymouth by about an hour ; Id rather spend the hour travelling than waiting for the later train at BNS . ! ( I know BNS has been imroved my many £££ spent but even so ..) !!!!

Last edited:

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
So what about changing trains at BNS ? I plan to get an ALR in July starting prob on a Monday , using the 0717 Virgin Preston to Euston via BNS , arrive 0905 , changing onto 0917 York to Plymouth . Obviously I am aware of the restrictions as it arrives at BNS before 1000 am. I know I can change at Wolverhampton onto a following LM or ATW to change at BNS but it will mean a later dep for me for Plymouth by about an hour ; Id rather spend the hour travelling than waiting for the later train at BNS . ! ( I know BNS has been imroved my many £££ spent but even so ..) !!!!
If you were to combine your ALR with a single between Smethwick Rolfe Street and either Five Ways, you'd be able to remain onto your Virgin Trains service into New Street and then join the 09:17 southwards from there. This would cost you £2.20 and would be completely valid.

LeylandLen

If you were to combine your ALR with a single between Smethwick Rolfe Street and either Five Ways, you'd be able to remain onto your Virgin Trains service into New Street and then join the 09:17 southwards from there. This would cost you £2.20 and would be completely valid.

OK thanks. I have a senior railcard so will be a mere £1.45 :D:D:D

Never did fancy a full price ALR ( 7 or 14 days)knowing my retirement was iminent and has arrived ! Yes I do have a buspass which of course helps out of peak hours !!

Status
Not open for further replies.