• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

All Line Rover, Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have been wanting to do an All Line Rover for many years now, and I am now looking at planning a trip, but as expected I am scratching my head!

Me and my dad plan do do a 7 day First Class All Line Rover, starting from Langley Mill/Alfreton, including a mid trip night at home.

My plan has always been to start on a Wednesday, Saturday night at home, and finish on a Tuesday, taking advantage of 4 nights on the sleeper (preferably one each of the Caledonian Sleepers and one on the Night Riviera) and one night in a hotel. The hotel stay would be sandwiched between a north and south trip on Arriva Wales North South Premier (The breakfast and evening meal reviews make this a must to do in both directions) and then taking advantage of some of the mainline routes around the UK, and of course the First Class service on each of those, trying to squeeze a full WCML run with Virgin and ECML run with East Coast in somewhere along the way.

We are not interested in 'Bashing' different classes of trains, or covering random branch lines, just an enjoyable weeks travel taking advantage of the first class ticket and the 'freebies' you get.

So far I have had countless attempts at various routes, so what would peoples advice be who have done All Line Rovers in the past, what must travel routes, or must visit stations do you recommend?

We both enjoy photography so the Highland sleepers are top of my list (although I have done them many times), I would also like to photograph the Forth Bridge from the banks of the river.

I have never used the Chiltern loco hauled service (although was lucky enough to do the Wrexham & Shropshire), and would like to do the ECML behind a 91 and the northern half of the WCML on a Pendolino.

The Saturday night at home is essential to see my wife and son, and to save me carrying a weeks worth of clothes round!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, page after page of proposed routes is giving me a headache!

Cheers CSK

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CallySleeper

Established Member
Big CallySleeper here!

Have you thought about which specific Highland sleeper(s) of the three you would like to do, and the direction of travel? Knowing this might help to some extent.

CS

Big CallySleeper here!

Have you thought about which specific Highland sleeper(s) of the three you would like to do, and the direction of travel? Knowing this might help to some extent.

CS

Hi Big Cally,

I will need to spend 4 nights on the sleeper, I am guessing north to Fort Bill and north to Inverness, best two journeys to wake up to, perhaps south from Aberdeen. Could couple Inverness north, meet friends in Inverness and then hop over to Aberdeen to head south on the sleeper.

I really am open to other suggestions though, realistically a north and south on the Ness sleeper could be worth doing, Aberdeen leg nothing to write home about. Aberdeen could be cut for a south trip on the Lowland sleeper?

As you can tell I am extremely undecided!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
So I have been wanting to do an All Line Rover for many years now, and I am now looking at planning a trip, but as expected I am scratching my head!

There's shampoos for that ;)

Seriously though, we'll welcome you to the All Liner Club once you've successfully completed one! I don't blame you doing one, I love the freedom one gives you. I really need to make the effort to get another one in, although quite frankly I'm a long way off the amount of ching I need for the one I want to do, the Golden Ticket that is a 14 day ALR!

Me and my dad plan do do a 7 day First Class All Line Rover, starting from Langley Mill/Alfreton, including a mid trip night at home.

My plan has always been to start on a Wednesday, Saturday night at home, and finish on a Tuesday, taking advantage of 4 nights on the sleeper (preferably one each of the Caledonian Sleepers and one on the Night Riviera) and one night in a hotel. The hotel stay would be sandwiched between a north and south trip on Arriva Wales North South Premier (The breakfast and evening meal reviews make this a must to do in both directions) and then taking advantage of some of the mainline routes around the UK, and of course the First Class service on each of those, trying to squeeze a full WCML run with Virgin and ECML run with East Coast in somewhere along the way.

Not a bad idea having that break at home in the middle, a chance to de-rancify and sleep in your own bed will no doubt come in handy. A home cooked meal will keep you going nicely too, you'll be surprised how quickly fast food gets boring!

Quite frankly it's not an ALR if you don't do the Cally Insomny at least once, all part of the adventure, especially if you do it on the cushions!

If you like 'posh' food you'll be fine on the ATW run, but I have yet to see anything I like the look of or could stomach! I would recommend looking at their menus before committing to it. DarloRich on here will know much more about the East Coast First Class experience, having done it multiple times on his ALR last year. He's got a trip report from it on here in this sector of the forum.

My experience of First Class service in Virgin is less than positive from the Holyhead trip in April 2008, and not much better from the Pretendalino trip in November 2011. Although if they still do it on-board, I would highly recommend the Cusquena (apologies if not quite the right spelling), it's most rateable and was the best bit about the Pretendalino First Class experience!

Are you not going to be sampling the delights of FGW HST First Class during your week then? Extreme tutting if that's the case! You simply must have a go on it, and if time's tight in your plans then a run from Paddington to Cheltenham Spa will take you through the Golden Valley, a rather nice run in the autumn and I'd imagine it's not bad during the rest of the year either.

We are not interested in 'Bashing' different classes of trains, or covering random branch lines, just an enjoyable weeks travel taking advantage of the first class ticket and the 'freebies' you get.

Can't comment on the freebies you get with any of them these days, it's been more than 3 years since my last First Class trip with any of the major operators.

So far I have had countless attempts at various routes, so what would peoples advice be who have done All Line Rovers in the past, what must travel routes, or must visit stations do you recommend?

Please don't tell me you're one of those people who goes around with a fixed itinerary on an ALR. If so you're missing out on one of the big advantages such a ticket gives you, the freedom to just go with the flow and enjoy the adventure as it unfolds. I liken it to getting a brand new book you've been looking forward to for ages, but instead of reading it cover to cover to reveal the story, you instead prefer to read the highlights of the book in an online review.

I know everyone has different methods of enjoyment in the hobby, but I just cannot see the point of doing an ALR by strict times. Even when I had a ton of coverage to get in 2011 when I did my 7 day ALR, I didn't make any firm plans whatsoever, except for getting to/from mandatory reservations on sleeper trains. Aside from those, I pretty much just went with the flow. I will always say that's the best way to do an ALR!

Routes worthy of travelling:

Paddington to Penzance
West Highland Line (especially beyond Fort William)
Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh
Highland Main Line
Ayr to Stranraer
Heart of Wales
North Wales Coast
Hope Valley
Newport to Shrewsbury
Liskeard to Looe
Par to Newquay
Lancaster to Carstairs
Newcastle to Edinburgh
Blackburn to Halifax

Without a doubt I'm missing a few lines but I'm sure other forum members will have some to add. The above are listed for scenic reasons principally.

Stations worthy of visiting:

Worcester Shrub Hill (for the semaphores gantry)
London St Pancras (obviously not the low level!)
London Kings Cross (for the new public area at the front, much better than what was there previously!)
London Paddington (I just love it, somehow it has that feel no other London terminus has)
Shrewsbury (for Severn Bridge Junction signal box, phot-able from the south end of the platforms)
Carlisle (for the station building)
Leeds (I like it, much better for photography than a lot of places)
Huddersfield (for the station building)
Newport South Wales
Cardiff Central
Swansea
Bristol Temple Meads
York
Newcastle
Edinburgh (for the maze that is Waverley!)
Glasgow Central
Paiseley Gilmour Street
Birmingham Moor Street

If you were bashers, or even spotters, I'd have a very different list of stations! :lol: Even so, I daresay I've missed off quite a few and will remember them eventually :lol:

We both enjoy photography so the Highland sleepers are top of my list (although I have done them many times), I would also like to photograph the Forth Bridge from the banks of the river.

I've seen photos of the bridge from the banks of the river recently, very nice shots so definitely worth doing (I think the shots I saw were from the north end, so North Queensferry would be best to get off at. Dalmeny for the south end)

I have never used the Chiltern loco hauled service (although was lucky enough to do the Wrexham & Shropshire), and would like to do the ECML behind a 91 and the northern half of the WCML on a Pendolino.

The Chiltern loco-hauled services are better than they were under WSMR, Birmingham Moor Street's a much nicer station than places like Tame Bridge Parkway! There's also more of them, and more stations to be able to get on/off at now too. Of course, in WSMR days we had droplights which will be missed now the Chiltern Cats are almost out in use on passenger trains in the Midlands (that noise is pretty awesome, and I've yet to hear it in the flesh so I have a feeling I'm going to be wearing beaming smiles once I finally hear them properly!), but it's a change we must deal with!

Pendolino is the best way to do the northern WCML, as you've got the extra tilt compared to a Voyager. Never done the full run from London to Edinburgh with a 91, but I would still recommend enjoying the delights of an HST on the ECML if possible as well as behind a 91. The experience between the two is surprising.

The Saturday night at home is essential to see my wife and son, and to save me carrying a weeks worth of clothes round!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, page after page of proposed routes is giving me a headache!

Cheers CSK

Meh, I carried around two weeks of stuff (with difficulty after a while admittedly!) with me when I did my 14 day ALR. I had considered a flying visit home for a night in the middle of it all, but I was having WAY too much to do that!

I think some general advice wouldn't hurt a bit, since you've never done an ALR. Others will no doubt have a few bits to add too, but the following will be a good start:

- I know you're going to have free tea/coffee/water/whatever on your First Class trip (I don't think I've mentioned it yet, but I am immensely jealous!), but I cannot recommend highly enough having some of your own supplies with you just in case. It doesn't have to be much, even if it's just a couple of bars of chocolate and a bottle of pop or water, as you just don't know when it's going to come in handy. Believe me, I've had more trips than I care to count where I've needed food and drink on a long journey, and when I really need it there's usually no on-board catering available. That was a long way from London to Nottingham when already pretty dehydrated (thank Goodness for those black cherries in my bag!), Hereford to Paddington via Evesham is also a long way when you only have about 300ml or less of water with you (having to ration that was not fun!), I could go on about other such journeys but I think I've made my point!

- Leading on from that point, never under-estimate how hungry you WILL get on a long journey!

- Have plans if you must, but for Goodness sake make sure you've got a plan B just in case it all goes belly up. I came incredibly close to having that happen to me last year on a Merseyrail Saveaway, to this day I'm still grateful Northern were running late on that Manchester Airport to Liverpool Lime Street service!

- Do not under-estimate how much money you will need for stuff along the way. Since you'll have basic drinks available on your trip, you won't have quite the hit to your wallet for food/drink purchases, but it will build up quickly!

- If you're doing fast food meals, don't do what I did last time I did my trip to Glasgow and eat at the same place multiple times, or at the least have something different. As much as I LOVE a Bacon Double Cheeseburger XL meal from Burger King, having it for 3 meals in a row over 2 days made it less enjoyable! Mix it up a bit I say, which is what I'm doing on my next adventure.

- Finally for now, to make it that bit more special, don't go travelling for leisure on the rails less than a week beforehand (preferably two weeks), believe it or not the trip will feel more enjoyable that way!

I'm sure there's something obvious I'm missing here, but the above should start you off!

Bevan Price

Established Member
I would suggest doing the rover in May to July for maximum daylight suitable for photography. There are endless possible combinations, so this is just one suggestion - I have not checked the timetable, and there may be changes anyway before your trip. Be prepared to be flexible, and adjust the schedule in the event of engineering work, late running, etc. Be prepared to carry "emergency rations" if necessary.

Day 1. (Wednesday) Home to ECML at Peterborough or Doncaster; Class 91 to Edinburgh; train to Dalmeny and/or North Queensferry. Then make your way towards Inverness, breaking journey for photography if time permits. Join sleeper at Inverness (or any stop between there & Perth.)

Day 2 (Friday). Leave Inverness sleeper at Crewe. Travel along North Wales Coast to intercept Holyhead - Cardiff loco hauled service. Then, Cardiff to Penzance, with intermediate stops for photography (e.g. Dawlish / Teignmouth area). Friday night - Sleeper, Penzance to Paddington.

Saturday. WCML Euston to Carlisle or Glasgow; return home via Kilmarnock / Carlisle / Leeds - or any other route that might interest you.

Sunday - assume you will want a late start. Maybe a short trip in afternoon / early evening, finishing in London. Then sleeper, Euston - Fort William.

Monday - You could do Fort William - Mallaig & back, then return back to Euston on the Monday night sleeper. Alternatively, you could go straight back to Glasgow, and have a trip to somewhere on the Ayrshire Coast, maybe with an overnight hotel stay somewhere in that area.

Tuesday - last day. Make your way home by some indirect route that you have not used recently (e.g. Cumbrian Coast line via Barrow, or on East Coast, a diversion via Scarborough / Hull, or via Doncaster / Lincoln/ Peterborough. ) Some nice photo locations on Cumbrian Coast line.

Veteran Member
My experience is 30 years ago but I'd agree that two successive nights on sleepers is enough and no point doing the Riviera both ways.
I'd also avoid alighting at dawn (Crewe or Padd), but then I'm not a lark....
This means doing the Riviera westbound and (alternative to a N Wales hotel) the Inverness or Ft W northbound after dinner on Gerald.
My one ATW breakfast was a little disappointing, but dinner is a must.

Thank you so much for the replies, certainly plenty to be thinking about! I think I am going to have to make some rough plan, but leave myself plenty of scope for change. As mentioned you really need to make sure you make your sleeper connections, don't fancy hunting down a hotel in London at some late hour!

I do take the point about doing the ECML on a HST, and the Highland Chieftain has always been a trip I have wanted to do, sitting in first class on an East Coast HST along the Highland Mainline must be superb.

Must start to draw up some loose plans with options to change..... Cheers.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Doing the Highland Chieftain in full is a badge of honour, one which I have proudly have. Done it both ways too, but only in Standard.

It's a more civilised way of doing the HML than on a 170 at least!

Doing the Highland Chieftain in full is a badge of honour, one which I have proudly have. Done it both ways too, but only in Standard.

It's a more civilised way of doing the HML than on a 170 at least!

We were supposed to do it 4 years ago, but a snow storm made bail on the sleeper south the night before, my wife was pregnant at the time and couldn't risk waiting until the following day to see what happened. As it happens the Chieftain was stopped at Perth on the run north and never went back south the following day!

I would like to do the run south but would mean bailing off the sleeper at somewhere like Aviemore and missing a visit to Inverness.

Kristofferson

Sounds like a fantastic trip - for me, this is what train travel is all about. Awesome machines hauling you across the country in comfort, taking in the scenery as you go.

Looking forward to the trip report!

Colour me envious :)

breadfan

I did a two week ALR in both 2012 and 2013. I was going to do another this year but figured much of the area I want to cover doesn't have any 1st class or the 1st class which is there, isn't worth the bother. So I have opted for two separate week rover tickets for two different areas, saving nearly £900.

But, the ultimate tip for an ALR is take your own loo roll.

If going 1st, don't bother with the scenic Scottish routes. But do fill your boots on the sleepers.

Make full use of 1st class lounges. Better loos, and they're not 30p a pop.

I enjoyed Chiltern runs but the 1st class doesn't offer much more than standard.

Beware some of the peak time departures can be busy even in 1st.

I did a two week ALR in both 2012 and 2013. I was going to do another this year but figured much of the area I want to cover doesn't have any 1st class or the 1st class which is there, isn't worth the bother. So I have opted for two separate week rover tickets for two different areas, saving nearly £900.

But, the ultimate tip for an ALR is take your own loo roll.

If going 1st, don't bother with the scenic Scottish routes. But do fill your boots on the sleepers.

Make full use of 1st class lounges. Better loos, and they're not 30p a pop.

I enjoyed Chiltern runs but the 1st class doesn't offer much more than standard.

Beware some of the peak time departures can be busy even in 1st.

I have done all the scenic Scottish Highland routes several times, Fort Bill - Mallaig, Inverness to Kyle and Thurso, so as much as I love them, they are not really on the radar this time, although beautiful runs, its a waste of a day and a first class ticket to sit on a 156/158 for several hours.

I mainly want to do the Chilterns just to bring back the memories of the Wrex & Shrop trips I was lucky enough to do, plus I have never been on a train in/out of Moor Street.

Although getting photographs was always going to be a main part of this trip, I am now looking at some of the stations suggested in the posts, making it all the more difficult to fit in, although some I have already visited a number of times, St Pancras, Edinburgh, Paddington and York have all been done. Dawlish is one I must try and fit in, especially with being an admin on railcam.org.uk I have had quite a bit of involvement with Dawlish and would love to actually get on the sea wall (If its open then!)

Cheers again guys.

Oh yes, Dawlish is one I forgot, definitely worth a visit!

I too look forward to the trip report ;)

I have just had a look at the FGW Pullman page, it looks a must! 12:06 off Paddington, couple that in with a stop at Dawlish and then the Night Riviera north (Would have preferred south but this will fit better, possibly, and give me time down in the west country)

Id like to try and do a blog/report and get some photos uploaded on the move, perhaps with some sort of tracker to show where I am going/been. It means lumping the laptop round but I don't mind that.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So I have been having ANOTHER go this morning, incorporating a few bits and pieces from the posts here, not looked into times yet, so the wheels could fall off very quickly.......

WED - Langley Mill - Chesterfield - York - Aberdeen - London Euston (Sleeper)
THU - London Euston - London Paddington - Exeter (FGW Pullman) - Dawlish - Penzance - London Paddington (Sleeper)
FRI - London Paddington - Bristol/Swansea - Cardiff Central - Holyhead (North South Premier)
SAT - Holyhead - London (Paddington via Cardiff or Euston via Crewe) - London Marylebone - Birmingham Moor Street - Birmingham New Street - Nottingham - Langley Mill

Break at home

SUN - Langley Mill - Nottingham - Peterborough - Ipswich - London Liverpool Street - London Euston - Edinburgh/Glasgow (Sleeper)
MON - Edinburgh/Glasgow - Photo day (Forth Bridge) - Inverness - London Euston (Sleeper)
TUE - London Euston - Langley Mill (Route to be decided)

I have (possibly) managed to get in the photo time I want in Dawlish area, Forth Bridge and potential photos on Tuesday. Only thing I am missing is a north WCML Pendolino run.

James Wake

How about on Tuesday doing 1030 Euston to Carlisle on a Pendolino, then when I did it there was a 1404 to Leeds. Then you can do some photos around Leeds then work out a way home from there. If you do it in the summer, you should have a few hours of daylight at least after 5pm at Leeds.

How about on Tuesday doing 1030 Euston to Carlisle on a Pendolino, then when I did it there was a 1404 to Leeds. Then you can do some photos around Leeds then work out a way home from there. If you do it in the summer, you should have a few hours of daylight at least after 5pm at Leeds.

Thats certainly a possibility James. There is a direct East Midlands Trains HST from London St Pancras to Langley Mill, 19:30 ish I think, which I would like to finish the trip on, would give me a day based around London, or to go out from London and return back in time for the 19:30.

I was looking at timings for the planned journey I posted, and I have come unstuck on day 3 already, well not so much unstuck, just left with time to kill in places.......

James Wake

Ok, I would personally recommend a trip down the Arun Valley line on a Southern service, very scenic, if you perhaps get a train to Portsmouth Harbour from London Victoria then you could perhaps go over to the Isle of Wight to ride the old 1938 London Underground stock. Or I can recommend a run from London Waterloo all the way to Weymouth on a 444, then FGW to Castle Cary/Bristol, then HST back to Paddington. A lot of Southern EMUs are due to be withdrawn soon from the south, such as 319s, 313s and 442s so you could ride them?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Some wise recommendations there! Forgot the Arun Valley somehow, nice run that.

As for the blog, if you've got a smartphone you could always use Twitter like I do, post updates and the occasional photo too on the move. Of course a full trip report always follows on my trips, but it's nice to have the action live on Twitter too

Some wise recommendations there! Forgot the Arun Valley somehow, nice run that.

As for the blog, if you've got a smartphone you could always use Twitter like I do, post updates and the occasional photo too on the move. Of course a full trip report always follows on my trips, but it's nice to have the action live on Twitter too

I have been reading your report with interest, superb read, not sure I could manage something of that quality, but we have to start somewhere.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I have been reading your report with interest, superb read, not sure I could manage something of that quality, but we have to start somewhere.

Oh my first handful were nothing remotely as good as the ones I tend to produce these days! A bit more than 10 years since my first ever one, October half term 2004 I do believe, where has the time gone?! :shock:

So I think I have come up with a possible working plan, with gaps to fill time in various places, so can do a bit of hoping on and off, or just abuse the First Class lounges for refreshments and shower etc.... I get photo time in Dawlish and the Forth Bridge, only things I am missing is north WCML on a Pendolino, and sleeper to Fort William.

WEDNESDAY
Langley Mill d. 07:57 Nottingham a. 08:22
Nottingham d. 08:36 Grantham a. 09:06
Grantham d. 09:40 York a. 10:39
York d. 11:54 Aberdeen a. 17:06
Aberdeen d. 21:43 London Euston a. 07:47
(ScotRail Caledonian Sleeper)

THURSDAY
London Euston d. WALK London Paddington a. WALK
London Paddington d. 12:06 Exeter St David’s a.14:06
(First Great Western Pullman)
Exeter St David’s d. 15:03 Dawlish a. 15:23
A. Dawlish d. 16:23 Newton Abbot a. 16:36
Newton Abbot d. 16:41 Penzance a. 19:33
B. Dawlish d. 16:23 Newton Abbot a. 16:36
Newton Abbot d. 17:58 Penzance a. 20:42
C. Dawlish d. 17:15 Newton Abbot a. 17:28
Newton Abbot d. 17:58 Penzance a. 20:42
Penzance d. 21:45 London Paddington a. 05:23
(First Great Western Night Riviera)

FRIDAY
-----Time to fill-----
London Paddington d. 10:45 Swansea a. 13:44
(First Great Western Pullman)
-----Fill time between Swansea and Cardiff-----
Cardiff Central d. 17:16 Holyhead a. 21:45
(Arriva Trains Wales North South Premier)

SATURDAY
Holyhead d. 07:55 Crewe a. 09:54
Crewe d. 10:19 Birmingham New Street a. 11:18
Birmingham New Street d. WALK Birmingham Moor Street a. WALK
Birmingham Moor Street d. 12:15 London Marylebone a. 14:17
London Marylebone d. WALK London St Pancras a. WALK
A. London St Pancras d. 15:15 Nottingham a. 16:55
Nottingham d. 17:17 Langley Mill a. 17:36
B. London St Pancras d. 15:29 Nottingham a. 17:18
Nottingham d. 17:44 Langley Mill a. 17:59

SUNDAY
Langley Mill d. 10:36 Chesterfield a. 10:54
Chesterfield d. 11:03 Leeds a. 12:01
(Or direct to Leeds arriving at 12:16, No First Class)
Leeds d. 13:05 London Kings Cross a. 15:32

or (Depending on what to do in London)

Langley Mill d. 11:38 Nottingham a. 11:58
Nottingham d. 12:37 Norwich a. 15:21
Norwich d. 16:00 London Liverpool Street a. 18:02
------Time to fill in London-----
London Euston d. 23:27 Aviemore a. 07:40

MONDAY
Aviemore d. 08:30 Haymarket a. 11:11
Haymarket d. 11:23 Dalmeny a. 11:34
(Forth Bridge photos)
-----Fill time before going to Glasgow-----
Glasgow Queen Street d. 15:07 Inverness a. 18:21
Inverness d. 20:44 London Euston a. 07:47

TUESDAY
London to Langley Mill, via unknown route.

D6975

Established Member
Just a note about Dawlish.
Consider getting off at Dawlish Warren and walking to Dawlish. It doesn't take very long and gives you the opportunity to take phots at various points along the sea wall.

Just a note about Dawlish.
Consider getting off at Dawlish Warren and walking to Dawlish. It doesn't take very long and gives you the opportunity to take phots at various points along the sea wall.

Certainly a thought, as long as the sea wall is open again, not sure when it's due for reopening.

Veteran Member
Friday: a bit of the Southern, ending at Reading in time for the Pullman.

Despite lack of 1st , for the Arun Valley I'd go via Dorking.

Or there's the N Downs line...

James Wake

Friday morning: Alight the sleeper at 4am at Reading (if you're up to it)
0434 FGW to Gatwick arr 0553
0558 SN to Havant arr 0719
0732 SW to Waterloo arr 0853
0920 SW to Reading via Ascot arr 1042 in time to pick up the 1045 ex Paddington.

Status
Not open for further replies.