• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

All line rover need some ideas & advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about doing a all line rover got some trains i would like good runs on but some need gdvices EMUs would like down south and DMUs would like up north of england and scotland i may have routes for them !56 Glasgow Central -Carlisle, !58 Inverness - Wick, HSTs Edinburgh - London Kings X, Scotrail sleeper Inverness - London Eusten & 185 Alasgow Central - Manchester. looking for good routes for 150, 315 and 317.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
315s, they don't do much apart from all-stations stuff out of Liverpool Street, although I think they have some random workings like the 0400 Southend Victoria to Liverpool Street. Stuff like Liverpool Street to Enfield Town, Liverpool Street to Shenfield, mostly services like those for the 315s from memory. Someone else may be able to advise differently though.

150s, they have a lot of work through the country. Depends what you define 'good routes' to be, but they work all over the Valley Lines in South Wales, as well as the Conwy Valley route from Llandudno Junction to Blaenau Ffestiniog, the Heart of Wales from Swansea to Shrewsbury via Llandrindod also sees 150s work the route as well as 153s. Just three routes I think of that see 150s working, but their work is quite extensive throughout the UK.

317s, there's a 1702 Liverpool Street to Norwich and 1930 return sees up to a trio of 317s on it. Quite the distance each way (105 miles I think each way), no idea what the stopping patterns are like but should involve some fast running.

Any other classes you want to go on during your ALR?

Am liking the 317 plan sounds exiting always love a good bash on the 318s but not the same now when the 380s took over

315s jst like a nive speedy run on them

150s could do whilest doin a return trip fro, glasgow central - Manchester so looking for a nice wee run on the 150

i could do the 319, 321 whiles am in london
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
HSTs i like a good run on them but can git them anywere even thinkin doin 57 sleeper from paddington - plymouth and get the 1223 HST from plymouth - glasgow central but dpnt knw weather to get that or the FGW HST bk to paddington then east coast HST up to edinburgh

Techniquest

Veteran Member
150s cover a massive amount of the Northern network, but one place they seem to go more than any other class is Buxton, so you could easily pick one up on one of those runs after arriving at Manchester (arrive xx27 into Manchester, 25 minutes then until the next Buxton train at xx52), a round trip taking around 2 hours.

sounds good cheers :)
if i get the sleepes do they cover the ALR or is it just a discount

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sleeper travel is included in the cost of an ALR, but reservations are beyond highly recommended on the FGW sleeper and complusory on the Scottish sleepers. I say that for the FGW one as even when there's two seated coaches on it (I think it's usually two now, not 100% sure) it can be full. I was lucky to find a seat when I last used it on a Thursday evening in August, much to my surprise. So I'd definitely make reservations for that.

Berths cost extra, £49 on FGW and £35 on FSR I believe. Check nearer the time for definite prices, but if you can book far enough in advance you may find booking Bargain Berths with FSR to be cheaper.

i did hav a noisy on the scotrail website and because me and my pal are both doing the ALR and we both hav rail cards and i have checked the prices that if we boot the scotrail sleeper the month before it will £30/40 return would you recomend if we do that not checked the FGW sleeper yit but we hav alot of routes in london so we decided to do 2 days in london
sorry if i'm using slang words there can be abit of a habbit

Techniquest

Veteran Member
If you do book it in advance, ensure you can stick to those plans I say. Same applies, but not quite so much so, to making reservations on the sleepers.

If you've got the £40 to book both of you on the sleeper, then that'll be a lot less than paying two berth supplements at £35 each. As for your planned trips around London, don't forget the ALR does not include Underground travel so you'll need a Travelcard for the zones you'll be travelling through, a cash single (£4 for a Zone 1 single at this time) or an Oyster (£1.80 I think for a Zone 1 single at the moment, I've forgotten what it was in August). If you've not got an Oyster, but planning on using the Tube a lot, it could be well worth getting one. Especially since you can link your railcard to your Oyster for railcard discounts around London.

Assuming you're making multiple Underground journeys in one day, then an Off-Peak Zones 1-6 Travelcard (also known as All Zones Travelcard I think on ticket machines at NR stations) with a 16-25 Railcard is currently £5.60. An absolute bargain for London bashes!

EDIT: Nay worries about the slang, so long as the meaning is understood. Not that the Grammar Nazis will agree with me! :lol:

think we got sleepes think we got it coverd. We'll be only using the tube for those stations kings cross, eusten, liverpool street, paddington and st princess so would it not be the travel crd zones 1-2 we need?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Correct, but it's more expensive than the 6-zones travelcard is with a railcard. Not sure on the difference in price, but having the extra flexibility is definitely a handy bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.