• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

All line Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halsebee

If I buy a standard class ALR and want to upgrade some journeys to 1st class what supplement do I need to pay? And can I just sit in 1st class and wait till the guard comes along to pay the extra?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

crehld

Established Member
See this page from the RailUK Fares and Ticketing Guide: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1185793&postcount=4

Basically you pay the difference between the appropriate standard and first class fares for your journey. You should do this before you board to the train (where facilities exist), otherwise you are liable to pay either a penalty fare or the full cost of a new first class ticket.

greatkingrat

Established Member
Plus remember that at weekends you may be able to get a cheaper Weekend First upgade instead.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As well as all of that I would also check to make sure there aren't any 1st APs which are cheaper than the excess you'd have to pay.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I've had a look at the page that crehld linked to for a journey I'm planning to do in the summer, so as to avoid starting a new thread on something similar.

I have a student railcard, which will be used for travel between Barnhill/Glasgow Central - York or Doncaster. I am thinking of the possibility of either BNL/GLC - DON 1st Advance (33% discount), or BNL/GLC - Alnmouth for Alnwick 1st Advance plus the Freedom of the North East Rover for the remaining leg to YRK or DON.

Regarding the upgrade from Standard to 1st with the rover, would it be the difference between the railcard discounted Standard Anytime Day Single and the 1st Anytime Day Single (the student railcard does not have discounts for the flexible 1st Class fares remember), or the undiscounted Standard Anytime Day Single and the 1st Anytime Day Single?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
As your Rover is discounted, I would imagine from the discounted Anytime fare, or even the Off-Peak Single should one exist as a Rover is time-restricted.

Haywain

Veteran Member
It would be the difference between the discounted standard class fare and the undiscounted 1st class fare.

miami

Established Member
If a delay occurs on an ALR, does Delay Repay kick in, and if so at what value?

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
As your Rover is discounted, I would imagine from the discounted Anytime fare, or even the Off-Peak Single should one exist as a Rover is time-restricted.

It would be the difference between the discounted standard class fare and the undiscounted 1st class fare.

Many thanks to you both for clarifying that for me.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes, it does, but not sure how the value is calculated.

I believe it varies from TOC to TOC! Some seem to make up a figure out of thin air whilst others might divide by seven (or fourteen) and pay out for one days worth. Others I think pay compensation on the basis of an appropriate walk up ticket for the journey.

Certainly I don't think there is a hard and fast rule!

Rover

That must be open to abuse.

Buy an ALR, get back, find trains that were delayed, say you were on them and get some money back!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Yes they rely on honesty to a certain degree.

Caught one the other day, who of course was not aware that we laid on buses instead. Hope he gets what he deserves.

higthomas

That must be open to abuse.

Buy an ALR, get back, find trains that were delayed, say you were on them and get some money back!

You can do the same with all sorts of tickets. For example these people who did it with their season tickets. I'm sure you could try the same to get any train journey for free. Just by a very long distance ticket e.g Penzance-Kyle of Lochalsh anytime 1st single at £356 and find just a single train delayed pretty much anywhere in the country. It would be fraud though!

gray1404

Established Member
Yes they rely on honesty to a certain degree.

Caught one the other day, who of course was not aware that we laid on buses instead. Hope he gets what he deserves.

Are you working for a TOC now? In delay repay processing or fraud prevention?

Status
Not open for further replies.