• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

All Line Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please dont give me that national rail website its dire

Right

With an online rover what happens if the trains dont run on a certain day or are few of them, does that give me an extra day?

Where do i purchase it?

Can I vary the dates I use it like 24th then 27th or does it have to be 7 days straight?

Are there time restrictions?

If theres any website please send link

Ta

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dan_atki

Established Member
With an online rover what happens if the trains dont run on a certain day or are few of them, does that give me an extra day?

No, it is, in effect, a 7/14 day season ticket valid anywhere (with a few restrictions on which operators you can use it on).

Where do i purchase it?

Any station ticket office, no more than three days in advance of the start date. (Also from telesales not more than 5 days in advance).

Can I vary the dates I use it like 24th then 27th or does it have to be 7 days straight?

Has to be 7/14 days straight as it is not a flexirover (like a 3 in 7 Freedom of South West is).

Are there time restrictions?

No, it is valid on any scheduled service unless that service is operated by one of the restricted operators as shown on the below link.

More information can be found at the top half of page 1 of http://www.atoctravelagents.org/clientfiles/File/Rail Directory/NFM99/NFM99 G.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks alot :)

just one more thing, if i am doing it at Xmas time what happens if the trains dont run on a certain date like 1st january etc. do i loose a day or get another day ?

rail-britain

Established Member
It is very unlikely that all the trains would not be running for one day
However, this may happen as a result of Industrial Action, and so making a claim for the day may be possible

I cannot remember the exact details, but from memory the All Line Rail Rover is valid from 03:00 to 02:59 the following day

me123

Established Member
The ticket claims that you do not get refunded for "non-service days", implying to me Christmas Day, and whatever other day the TOC doesn't run (Usually Boxing Day or 1st January). But, as said above, industrial action is not a "non-service day" as such, rather a day where no services run as a result of staffing disputes.

To answer that question, we'd need an official definition of "non-service day".

Gizmogle

Established Member
I would imagine that Christmas day and such count as non service days and are not refundable, as it's your own stupid fault if you buy a ticket for a day when you know there will be no trains!

I don't think that it would be fair if you didn't get refunded from a strike day or something though.

glynn80

Established Member
All-Line Rail Rover (Standard)
7 days
£375·00 (Adult)
£245·00 (Child)
£245·00* (Railcard)

All-Line Rail Rover (First Class)
7 days
£565·00 (Adult)
£375·00 (Child)
£375·00** (Railcard)

All-Line Rail Rover (Standard)
14 days
£565·00 (Adult)
£375·00 (Child)
£375·00* (Railcard)

All-Line Rail Rover (First Class)
14 days
£860·00 (Adult)
£560·00 (Child)
£560·00** (Railcard)

* Railcard discount available to 16-25, Senior and Disabled Persons Railcard holders only.

** Railcard discount available to Senior and Disabled Persons Railcard holders only.

Not valid on

· Eurostar
· Heathrow Express
· Heathrow Connect between Hayes & Harlington and Heathrow
· London Underground
· Docklands Light Railway
· Croydon Tramlink
· Heritage and private railways (except Ffestiniog Railway)
· Shipping services

mrcheek

Established Member
i doubt you would get a refund for a strike day. when was the last time a strike day took out the entire network? I doubt that will ever happen again. there will always be some trains running, so theres always somewhere you can travel on an ALR!

BTW, if youre doing lots of long journeys, I highly recommend the 1st class option

glynn80

Established Member
It is valid on Wrexham & Shropshire and Grand Central (or even Hull Trains for that matter). The quote on the FRPP (The National Fares Manual) is as follows

Unlimited travel on all scheduled National Rail services at any time.

The list of services above are the only services it is not valid on that operate in the UK as rail operators.

Gizmogle

Established Member
i doubt you would get a refund for a strike day. when was the last time a strike day took out the entire network? I doubt that will ever happen again. there will always be some trains running, so theres always somewhere you can travel on an ALR!

BTW, if youre doing lots of long journeys, I highly recommend the 1st class option

Still though, a strike in the wrong area can completely trash your entire day's plans!

Especially if it's somewhere with only one local operator. Wales, Cornwall/Devon, parts of the South West, etc.

First class

Established Member

Unless you have a PRIV or a lot of money, 1st class is probably a bit too expensive for 2 weeks! You can probably get cheaper tickets by buying local rangers/rovers, these 4 in 8 things etc... but I suppose you start getting restricted.

You could probably time it so you could get breakfast, dinner, tea and then a light evening snack each day... (bit less on weekends).

I'm not sure, but I think staff with STD privs can purchase 1st class rovers.

Does anyone know how to find the ALR on Avantix?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
good point - on NRES it does NOT list wrexham trains as one of the operators.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/promotions/rangers_and_rovers.html

is this just an oversight by NRES ?

It does list them! Wrexham & Shropshire near the bottom of the list.

Gizmogle

Established Member
You cannot purchase a 1st class ALR with a STD PRIV. Nor can you purchase any 1st class ticket with one.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A 14-day FC ALR, adult rate, works out at only £61 per day. Ta TC for that. Now if that's not good value then I don't know what is. Since it's valid all day too, you could go FC at peak times and make even more value out of it. Imagine doing the 0705 MAN - EUS (RA Stockport to Euston and is Primo) on the day in FC, it would cost a mega-fortune just for a single, more than £61 for sure!

mrcheek

Established Member
frnakly, the difference in price betwen a regular ALR and a first class one isnt all that much when you work it out on a per day basis. It depends where youre going. If hyoure doing lots of local routes, without first class, then its obviously not worth it. but i spent most of my two weeks on long distance London and XC services. and on that many long journeys, its nice to be able to have a few seats to yourself instead of being cramped up with everyone else for 14 days.

and frankly , there are times when the only way to get a seat is to be in first class!

First class

Established Member
Im sure I read an easement in an NFM section about staff getting discounts on 1st class even if they have std privs... not that it matters for me.

There are some exceptions where staff can get 1st class tickets with a standard priv- but I can't think of them of the top of my head.

I don't get my RST priv until a few weeks, but I received a booklet from Merseyrail entitled 'Your benefits- What you need to know 2008-09', and it says:

'OTHER' TICKETS

"Rail ranger and rover tickets may attract a staff discount, in most cases of 75%. Some of these tickets permit you to receive a discount above your designated privellege class. Refer to the ATOC booklet or contact a pricing manager to determine validility of tickets you may not be familar with. You should always ensure your ticket is valid for the journey you wish to take. It is a criminal offence to travel without a valid ticket in some circumstances." (pg8).

paul1609

Established Member
i'm pretty lucky having a HMF railcard which gives me a first class discount and also allows peak travel on Virgin on an off peak ticket but I think you've got to be a pretty hardcore basher to get value for money from an ALR. The average rail enthusiast could with a little planning get the same travel using a combination of advance tickets and regional rovers for a whole lot less and still have money for a meal on NXEC.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Could you feasibly cover all track used on daily services in a week using an ALR?

glynn80

Established Member
Could you feasibly cover all track used on daily services in a week using an ALR?

No way, not even if you had two weeks and stayed out all day every day. There are too many branches like down in Cornwall/Devon and in Wales and too many extensive commuter networks like down in London/South East, thats before you've tried to tackle parliamentry services or low frequency routes. You then have the highlands of Scotland which can take all day to get one line done and back somewhere where anohter line can be covered. I'd say you'd need about a month if you were serious as I doubt anyone could stay out all day everyday covering these lines but in a month you could do it with relative comfort I'd suggest.

theblackwatch

Established Member
I'd say you'd need about a month if you were serious as I doubt anyone could stay out all day everyday covering these lines but in a month you could do it with relative comfort I'd suggest.

I wouldn't even be sure about that. There are trains like the Stockport-Stalybridge and Runcorn East-Runcorn which run only once a week, not forgetting all the other obscure curves used by a couple of trains a day, which as all listed in PSUL.

paul1609

Established Member
I reckon you wouldnt even get close in a month. Of course these days you got trains which originate on the network and traverse private lines (pickering, oakhampton)both of these would take most of a day on there own

glynn80

Established Member
I know there used to be a Guinness World Record to get round the whole network in the fastest time, I'll have to dig it out and that'll probably give an idea.

EDIT

From the 1994 GWR book

Alan M Witton of Chorlton, Manchester visited every open British Rail station (2362) in a continuous tour for charity of 26,703 km (16,593 miles) in 452 hr 26.5min from 13 Jul - 28 Aug 1980.

Colin M Mulvany and Seth N Vafiadis of west London visited every open British Rail station (2378 ) embracing also the Tyne & Wear, Glasgow and London underground systems (333 stations) for charity in 31 days 5hr 8min 58sec. They travelled over 24,989 km (15,528 miles) to average 61.2 km/h (38.1 mph) from 4 Jun - 5 Jul 1984.

Now obviously this is just every station not every line but I'm pretty sure it gives you an idea.

Also worth a look is this guys site who tried to get round 1000 stations in a week (only got round 738 ) to give you an idea how far you could get in one week.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010503213013/http://www.traindash.cwc.net/

Last edited:

mrcheek

Established Member
Also worth a look is this guys site who tried to get round 1000 stations in a week (only got round 738 ) to give you an idea how far you could get in one week.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010503213013/http://www.traindash.cwc.net/

Ive just started reading this, and its a very interesting and fun read! makes my own holiday blog on facebook (17 days combining a Severn and Solent Rover, Freedom of the South West Rover, Thames Rover, plus a day on a London travelcard) look dull by comparison. Thanks for the link!!!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ive just started reading this, and its a very interesting and fun read! makes my own holiday blog on facebook (17 days combining a Severn and Solent Rover, Freedom of the South West Rover, Thames Rover, plus a day on a London travelcard) look dull by comparison. Thanks for the link!!!

Reading through it now myself, a thoroughly interesting read.

It's also a very good account of how things can go pear-shaped whilst on an all-liner.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that the average enthusiast could probably book combinations of advance-purchase fares and so forth that would make a week's rail travel much cheaper. Whilst this has the potential to be true, it also limits your options too much for my personal taste. After all, you could be at Kings Cross waiting for your booked train at 1610 to Leeds (instead of getting the 1600 Aberdeen and changing at York so as to get some proper traction in). You could see the HST off and wish you'd booked a ticket to York on it instead and then put up with a 91 and MK4s instead going direct. Granted, you might prefer that but at least with an all-liner you can say "Stuff it, I'll get that train instead. I got here earlier than planned and the other's a faster run anyway and a HST at that" or something, rather than sticking to a totally inflexible plan.

Then there's the option of following a particular piece of traction around on its passenger runs all day. Again, unlikely to be able to do that easily on most traction, especially long-distance stuff where that HST, 91, Voyager, Meridian etc could be stepped up to do a different service or whatever. Unless you've got an all-liner.

Up to the individual at the end of the day but I know full well I couldn't book cheap tickets for my trains and routes of choice for a week's worth of travel!

P156KWJ

Established Member
was gonna save up for the difference between a std class and first class ALR (I'm getting a STD class one for my 16th), but then I realised... you can't get first class with a YPR :???: so I might be really cheeky and make the last day the day before my 16th so I can get a child one :lol:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Might as well...Make the most of it now I say!

I'm dreading the day my railcard runs out and I'm 26, I'll never be able to afford to travel even half as much as I do currently! Me thinks lots more Megabus trips and regional rovers/rangers will be the order of the day by then!

Status
Not open for further replies.