• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

All Scotrail stock to have CET by 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thelem

Those figures don't make any sense to me. Surely 40% of the ScotRail fleet is new enough to have been fitted with tanks when they were built? Are they really saying they will fit tanks to 60% of the fleet within two years?

najaB

Veteran Member
But then they dont own the rest of it ;)
Okay, forgot this is the natural home of the pedant. :D Correcting my earlier statement: they don't lease the stock so it wouldn't be counted in the figures.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Those figures don't make any sense to me. Surely 40% of the ScotRail fleet is new enough to have been fitted with tanks when they were built? Are they really saying they will fit tanks to 60% of the fleet within two years?

Weren't some of their units retro fitted with tanks a few years back?

Impressive action picture on the article!

Class83

170s, 334s and 380s fitted as built. What else has been retrofitted and what will be retrofitted? New EGIP electrics will be fitted as built.

najaB

Veteran Member
I vaguely remember something about 158's getting them.
I thought the 158s and 156s had been fitted with GPS controls to stop flushing while in the station - perhaps that is what you were remembering?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I thought the 158s and 156s had been fitted with GPS controls to stop flushing while in the station - perhaps that is what you were remembering?

Ah, that could be it. My recollections are vague.

MCR247

Established Member
Okay, forgot this is the natural home of the pedant. :D Correcting my earlier statement: they don't lease the stock so it wouldn't be counted in the figures.

Couldn't resist :D

dave12435

Of course if I remember rightly the 314s don't have los do they?
its surprising really that we still have discharge loos on trains in 2015 anyway

The 314's do not have toilets (hence the obvious reason!)

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The 314's do not have toilets (hence the obvious reason!)

Weren't the 320s also built without toilets, but had them added (relatively) recently at around the same time as the 90mph upgrade*? I assume if that's the case those toilets do have tanks.

*=I do hope that wasn't another "322s become 321/9s"/"Super-60s can do 75mph" myth!

cf111

Established Member

The Inverness based (Porterbrook?) 158s have CETs fitted, this was done at the same time as they were refurbished. They definitely will flush while in stations. I've not heard of the GPS modifications but the last time I used a toilet on a 156 it would have been on the Far North Line!

najaB

Veteran Member
The Inverness based (Porterbrook?) 158s have CETs fitted, this was done at the same time as they were refurbished. They definitely will flush while in stations. I've not heard of the GPS modifications but the last time I used a toilet on a 156 it would have been on the Far North Line!
Just found an article from 2012 that says it's only the West Highland Line trains [156s] that don't have CETs fitted:
The Scotsman said:
The UK-first technology has been successfully trialled on the West Highland lines between Glasgow, Oban and Mallaig to stop toilet waste being emptied onto tracks beside platforms.

Trains on the routes, which have received accolades for their breathtaking scenery, are the only ones in the ScotRail fleet not to have toilet retention tanks because it has proved impractical to fit them.

Last edited:

NotATrainspott

Established Member
Weren't the 320s also built without toilets, but had them added (relatively) recently at around the same time as the 90mph upgrade*? I assume if that's the case those toilets do have tanks.

*=I do hope that wasn't another "322s become 321/9s"/"Super-60s can do 75mph" myth!

The 320s were built without toilets, but had a fully TSI-PRM-compliant retention toilet fitted during the overhaul they had a few years ago which also did include the yaw dampers needed to run at 90mph. Doing so has meant that they are suitable for running on the Argyle Line as it uses the WCML and shares track with the various express services.

Altnabreac

Established Member
First 156 with new CET toilet to come out of Springburn works today:

New train refurbishment to rid Scotland’s railways of effluent

Work on the first of 47 Class 156 ScotRail trains to be fitted with Control Emission Toilet (CET) equipment is due for completion tomorrow (Friday 16 October), with the unit scheduled to be moved back into circulation over the weekend. This signifies the beginning of the end of the practice of trains discharging effluent onto Scotland’s railways.

The £382,000 package of works, funded by Transport Scotland, will see 9 units fitted with CET equipment before Christmas 2015 with the rest due to be reintroduced before December 2017, three years ahead of the previously anticipated programme.

Beyond December 2017 there will be no ScotRail franchise-leased rolling stock discharging toilet effluent on to the track. As part of this commitment any new or refurbished vehicles introduced to the ScotRail fleet will also have CET equipment fitted as standard.

Minister for Transport and Islands, Derek Mackay, said: “The discharge of effluent onto the tracks is unpleasant for both staff and passengers and from day one it has been a priority of mine to end this practice in Scotland.

“I am pleased that the Scottish Government has been able to work together with ScotRail to accelerate the initial timeframe for this, and we are investigating further measures to bring forward the completion date.”

“This is a great example of ScotRail working with industry partners to deliver a project which benefit passengers and rail workers, and I am committed to ongoing discussions with the UK Government to also end this practice on cross-border operators.”

Phil Verster, managing director of the ScotRail Alliance, said: “We’re really pleased to be rolling out the first of our Class 156 fleet with toilet tanks.

“From December 2017, ScotRail trains will no longer discharge effluent onto the tracks. This is a major improvement for Scotland’s railways and, by bringing the completion date forward, we are creating a much more pleasant environment for our employees and customers.”

Installation of CET equipment means that the effluent is held within a hygienic tank on the train until it is emptied at an appropriate location, usually at depots or stations. This move puts Scotland ahead of rail networks around the rest of the UK where the practice still continues.

Work on the c156 units is being carried out at the Knorr Bremse Rail Services plant in Springburn.
http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/news/new-train-refurbishment-rid-scotland’s-railways-effluent

Mulson

So... what about the HSTs they'll be getting once they're no longer needed down this end of the country?

This: -

Beyond December 2017 there will be no ScotRail franchise-leased rolling stock discharging toilet effluent on to the track. As part of this commitment any new or refurbished vehicles introduced to the ScotRail fleet will also have CET equipment fitted as standard.

Last edited:

sng7

So... what about the HSTs they'll be getting once they're no longer needed down this end of the country?

Bearing in mind they are getting plug doors and other updates as well adding the tanks isnt a big thing in its own right as they will get thoroughly refurbished and brought up to modern standards

scotsman

Established Member
Will this include the Scotrail operated Steam services?

ScotRail don't operate them, per se. The drivers and guards are from DB Schenker, with an SRPS tour manager, a ScotRail rep (a conductor), SRPS stewards for standard and ScotRail stewards for first class.

Steam Dreams do the bookings

SRPS provide the coaching stock, book the locos, and generally make sure it all goes

SC318250

156496 went into Springburn on 9th October

Not sure if this was the 2nd unit going in?

Status
Not open for further replies.