• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

All The Stations - project to video every British Railway Station

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is basically a railway enthusiast asking people for money to travel around the country on trains and make videos!!!! I am sure we would all like to get given money to ride on trains! I cant believe so many people have given him money! If it was for charity than i would completely understand and support it but what he is doing asking people for money is a complete and utter joke!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanD

Established Member
I like Geoff Marsh as well, and would like to meet him one day, but I wonder if he's outdone himself this time..?

Yes, fine Aussie cricketer. I'll never forget the century he scored against England in the Trent Bridge test back in 1989.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Michael Portillo is paid by TV licence holders and Chris Tarrant by advertisers to travel round on trains and make videos. I respect the decision of those who don't wish to contribute to Geoff's project but struggle to see what is different about it.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Yes, fine Aussie cricketer. I'll never forget the century he scored against England in the Trent Bridge test back in 1989.

Nor will I - I was sitting in a park in Plymouth listening to it on a transistor radio(!) and decided not to move until the Aussies lost a wicket - I would have spent all night there unless Close of Play had not intervened. 'Tubs' Taylor was his partner, iirc.

bicbasher

Established Member
Geoff Marshall is one of the best people who promotes the industry to an audience who wouldn't necessarily be interested in rail.

I really don't understand the hate.

Dhassell

Geoff Marshall is one of the best people who promotes the industry to an audience who wouldn't necessarily be interested in rail.

I don't think theres really any "hate" towards him, I think people are rather confused why he is looking for crowd funding for a trip on the rails most people would normally save to do themselves.

bicbasher

Established Member
I don't think theres really any "hate" towards him, I think people are rather confused why he is looking for crowd funding for a trip on the rails most people would normally save to do themselves.

But do they film interesting vlogs about their trips. Geoff (and Vicki's) videos on YouTube are hardly the usual anorak fare of filming units.

J-2739

Established Member

Sounds impressive, but I've just noticed I forgot to abbreviate it properly!! Sorry guys! :?

I hope he does ok. After all, he did manage to travel across the whole USA in quite a short space of time!

Howardh

Established Member

I agree, it's not hate at all. It's just he's doing something for youtube entertainment - nothing wrong with that - and asking for peeps to chip in - nothing wrong with that - but, why?? I'm sure there are better aspects of the railways and stock that could be looked into rather than simply going through (and nor even necessarily getting our at) all the stations.

Personally I'd like him to get from Penzance to Thurso in one go and give us the passenger's eye view of what a pleasant journey it is...or not...!

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Michael Portillo is paid by TV licence holders and Chris Tarrant by advertisers to travel round on trains and make videos. I respect the decision of those who don't wish to contribute to Geoff's project but struggle to see what is different about it.

Portillo is paid by the production company, not the BBC, therefore not by licence holders. That company sell the programme to other companies as well.

I'm intrigued how he is going to get this video, unless he has permission from NR and from the TOC's to fit cameras to the front of their units.

IanD

Established Member

Accountability I suppose. I doubt whether Portillo or Tarrant just turned up at the respective TV companies and said "Give us the thick end of £30000 and we'll make a TV program for you, honest Guv". Not that I think Geoff M is not going to make his video but is there any comeback if he doesn't or if it turns out to be rubbish or only half finished?

No hate on my part. Just incredulity that people will part with money for this sort of thing.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So what - a guy wants to film a trip on UK railways and has the audacity in some people's eyes to ask for funding. No-one is forcing you - you either fund him or you don't! But I bet you'll all view his YouTube video when its released (for free).

GatwickDepress

Established Member
But do they film interesting vlogs about their trips. Geoff (and Vicki's) videos on YouTube are hardly the usual anorak fare of filming units.
I enjoy their videos too, but this crowdfunding effort honestly confuses me. If it was stopping at every station on the network and maybe talking about the history of that station, interesting factoids and tidbits a la the "Secrets of.." videos, then I'd be on-board. That'd be worth the money they're asking.

Riding each line is something that many thousands of railway enthusiasts have done already. From the sounds of it they wont be filming the units themselves but inside one instead! ;)

Dai Corner

Established Member
Accountability I suppose. I doubt whether Portillo or Tarrant just turned up at the respective TV companies and said "Give us the thick end of £30000 and we'll make a TV program for you, honest Guv". Not that I think Geoff M is not going to make his video but is there any comeback if he doesn't or if it turns out to be rubbish or only half finished?

No hate on my part. Just incredulity that people will part with money for this sort of thing.

Geoff's got many great videos on his own YouTube channel and on Londonist and as he has completed the Tube Challenge several times (including in a world record time) I have no doubts as to his determination.

The worst that can happen is that I lose twenty quid. I've spent that much on a railway DVD before now and been disappointed.

Gathursty

Established Member
To be fair, when I became public, I was* secretly hoping that a TOC or NR (or ATOC ;) ) may have given me a bit of a freebee - read that as ALR or two or three... :P

*still am secretly hoping haha. I'll settle for a train or bench named after me however :D

Also i must say i think that it is rather misleading for him to call his project "all the stations" when it should really be "all the lines" instead. On his website he says that he is going to travel to all stations but then says he is not going to get on or off at all the stations. If you are simply passing through the station on a train that stops there but not getting on or off and entering or exiting the station then you can not say you have been to that station. Really what he is doing is trying to travel on all of the railway lines in the UK rather than visiting all of the stations in the UK.

Dhassell

Also i must say i think that it is rather misleading for him to call his project "all the stations" when it should really be "all the lines" instead. On his website he says that he is going to travel to all stations but then says he is not going to get on or off at all the stations. If you are simply passing through the station on a train that stops there but not getting on or off and entering or exiting the station then you can not say you have been to that station. Really what he is doing is trying to travel on all of the railway lines in the UK rather than visiting all of the stations in the UK.

Its bit like that Tube Challenge, He claims he has to go and visit all 270 odd tube stations but basically its travel on all lines in the quickest time.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Being ultra-pedantic, he won't necessarily be covering every section of line with a passenger service only those with stations on.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The point? Well, they are making a film which they hope people will enjoy. Its as simple as that is it not? Nobody is forcing you to chip in, you'll still be able to watch the videos for free if you want, you might even enjoy it.

I don't know the Geoff Marshall from Adam but I can't see anything wrong whatsoever with crowdfunded media, some genuinely great stuff gets funded by kickstarter and patreon and other forms of donation. Something like this does have high overheads, without travel tickets and accommodation then I guess it simply doesn't get made and without an external editing team then the delay between shooting and broadcasting is so great it probably kills the energy of the project because a lot of the fun is probably watching while it's actually happening. So are they getting the public to pay for a junket? I don't think they are, but that doesn't mean they can't enjoy the trip does it?

I wish them a lot of luck.

So this is a jolly paid for by the public with little tangible reward?

Tell you what - I need a new carburetor for my van. If you all give me £20 I will film the garage changing it then I will film my test drive to Tesco and back.

Well, I like him, think it will be interesting and donated. I also enjoy not being a grumpy bloke moaning about how pointless everything is.

I am not grumpy i just don't see the point. Perhaps I lack imagination but i don't see what the project actually delivers beyond a snap shot of a moment in time. That is all fine but what do you do with the albums you create?

No hate from me - just confusion as to the object and result and perhaps a little envy that he has managed to get people to contribute to contribute to his holiday fund ;)

IanD

Established Member

He's not even going to stop at request stops unless the train is stopping anyway, by the sound of it - what's the difference between that and just sitting on a fast train whizzing through?

Its bit like that Tube Challenge, He claims he has to go and visit all 270 odd tube stations but basically its travel on all lines in the quickest time.

Perhaps he'll employ the same dodgy tactics as he did when doing that challenge with people at strategic locations to hold the doors if it looks like he'll miss a connection.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
So this is a jolly paid for by the public with little tangible reward?

Tell you what - I need a new carburetor for my van. If you all give me £20 I will film the garage changing it then I will film my test drive to Tesco and back.

I am not grumpy i just don't see the point. Perhaps I lack imagination but i don't see what the project actually delivers beyond a snap shot of a moment in time. That is all fine but what do you do with the albums you create?

No hate from me - just confusion as to the object and result and perhaps a little envy that he has managed to get people to contribute to contribute to his holiday fund ;)

I think you've kinda answered your own question tbh.

Hornet

Couldn't we call those who crowdfund for a Railway Project Chuggers?:idea:;)

Liam

Established Member

It's not all the lines either though. They won't necessarily use Dalmeny-Winchburgh, or the New North Mainline (although Geoff has already done a video on that one).

Saw this project asking for help on twitter.

http://www.allthestations.co.uk/

They are asking for help on the above Kickstarter page.

Its being done by Geoff Marshall aka Geoff Tech , who occasionally posts here, and if you know his Youtube Channel, you will know he loves trains !.

I have pledged £10 to hopefully own my favourite station of Southport (SOP).

I hope this interest to the community.

They came to travel on the Brigg Line last Saturday getting on at Gainsborough Central, the 0803 Sheffield to Cleethorpes via Brigg service was packed with Mansfield Town fans heading of to Cleethorpes via Worksop, they managed to get a seat and did some interviews with people on the train, everyone was most interested on what they were doing and wished them all the best.

Last edited:

Feathers44

I love the fact that so many on here seems to think that if something doesn't seem to fit their particular set of values it's automatically worthless. News - not everyone has the same set of values as you!

Someone wants to do something and has persuaded others to fund it. Good luck to him, I wish I had that sort of ability but I'm apparently not as jealous as the majority.

At the end of the day, if it's worthless or rubbish what do you care? You didn't fund it and you don't have to watch it so why all the sour grapes?

Dai Corner

Established Member
Well they've made their target funding. An email went out to supporters this morning

THANK YOU!
We are steaming with excitement and may need a few hours to just Settle down …
What an incredible amount of thanks we need to send to every single one of you have donated, liked, shared and followed us these last ten days. We have reach our first goal and will be travelling to ALL THE STATIONS!!
What’s next?
We still have another 30 days to go with our campaign, which will officially close on 27 March. Between now and then we will continue to work towards our stretch goals.
The more money we raise, the more professionally edited videos we can produce for you throughout the journey. More details to follow, though you can get a good overview in the Vlog we posted last night.
Thank you. To the trains!
https://youtu.be/oeY6NazE05c

bicbasher

Established Member
I love the fact that so many on here seems to think that if something doesn't seem to fit their particular set of values it's automatically worthless. News - not everyone has the same set of values as you!

Someone wants to do something and has persuaded others to fund it. Good luck to him, I wish I had that sort of ability but I'm apparently not as jealous as the majority.

At the end of the day, if it's worthless or rubbish what do you care? You didn't fund it and you don't have to watch it so why all the sour grapes?

My thoughts exactly. The fact that they raised that amazing amount in a short amount of time shows that the majority of people who watch their channel are happy to fund the project.

TrainfanBen

I like Geoff and Viki, I enjoy their video's.

The crowdfunding is only so they can afford to edit the footage professionally, they're seemingly planning long form video's over a shorter period of time than the likes of the BBC would with Portillo*, which I suppose is quite a feat, plus livestreams from their own 'amateur' phone's etc to interact on social media.

Geoff and Viki are focussing on the stations and I think that going there, and seeing it and starting a discourse about our railways on a much more realistic level is fantastic;

We see the news headlines constantly criticizing the likes of unreliable TOC's, strikes, delays due to weather, and ticket prices, but rarely does anybody outside the railway industry/enthusiast community/this forum see anything else.

I think its an excellent idea to think about the railways more widely than perhaps the one commuter route Joe Bloggs uses each morning to work any project that does that is certainly worth supporting.

I'm looking forward to the Preston-Blackpool North leg, just to see how Northern deal with them trying to record at B'pool North <D But generally overall think its a worthwhile cause.

Mods, split this to a new thread if I'm too far off topic. :p
In terms of railway media;
The BBC and others try time and time again to cater to the railway enthusiast and without covering the same stuff over and over again its impossible to not be stuffy and patronising.
If anybody remembers 'Mark Williams 'On the rails' ' it was in essence a very similar programme to one of Fred Dibnah's series (Age of steam?);
Trainspotting* was probably the closest any conventional tv series have come to what Geoff et al do;
Light entertainment, informational and engaging content looking at different parts of the railway without feeling contrived, stuffy or patronising.

*It had the guy with the round glasses who, for a different television series, built a model railway in his back garden.

Status
Not open for further replies.