• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

All The Stations - project to video every British Railway Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I really am dismayed at the ongoing hatred shown over so many points to Geoff and Vicki. Those having a go never contributed a penny to support their project, they see it on YouTube for free, and then launch into critical comment about all sorts of aspects....
I had a quick look through the last ~30 posts and I could only see one person being negative (and even then they were not displaying hatred), or is the hatred occurring elsewhere?

I can't understand why anyone would show hatred towards Geoff and Vicki; if anyone does not like it they can choose not to watch it, and not to read about it. There are always going to be some haters, but we're talking a tiny number, a very small minority.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
So you did count it if you changed trains at the station ? If so, I agree, my definition is the same as yours. The only grey area is a terminating service, I don`t count that as the same train even though it`s the same rolling stock.

I remember once stepping off and on a Milan - Brussels train at Luxembourg station in order to "do" the country as well as the station. I apply similar rules when travelling by air. So I don't count countries where the plane lands but we aren't allowed off (which cost me Sudan and Barbados) or where we were are allowed off but don't go through passport control (which cost me Curaçao).

Journeyman

Established Member
Can you report what the loading is like for the various parts of the journey (just a very rough idea would be helpful)? I'm planning to travel on this service at some point.

Is it a Voyager or an HST? I did Dundee to Penzance about twenty years ago when that was the longest possible journey, and twelve and a quarter hours in standard on an HST was pretty gruelling. I wouldn't even consider it in a Voyager.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Is it a Voyager or an HST? I did Dundee to Penzance about twenty years ago when that was the longest possible journey, and twelve and a quarter hours in standard on an HST was pretty gruelling. I wouldn't even consider it in a Voyager.

Aberdeen - Penzance is a voyager

RailAleFan

I enjoyed following All The Stations and the documentary and will keep an eye on progress tomorrow!

If all goes to plan they will have an hour and a half of going nowhere - the total dwell time for 1V60 is 93 minutes!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Owwww! They must really hate themselves!

It's tolerable in first class, but standard on one of those is just gruesome.

From what it sounds like they are filming from the cab so probably have been given freebie tickets in First Class from the rail delivery group (based on the graphics).

But agreed, standard class in a voyager* would be quite an experience (*although there are some decent seats with good leg room & a window view which would probably be better than a cramped table seat with a view of plastic.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Just announced that 1V60 is terminating at Plymouth tonight due to no onward traincrew, so that's the ball burst. Very, very annoying.

DuncanS

They are doing it today though and they mentioned when at Aberdeen this morning that last nights one hadn't completed the voyage.

I went as far as Stonehaven on that service last year and I found it quite comfortable - not sure what 13 hours would be like.

Journeyman

Established Member
They are doing it today though and they mentioned when at Aberdeen this morning that last nights one hadn't completed the voyage.

I went as far as Stonehaven on that service last year and I found it quite comfortable - not sure what 13 hours would be like.

It's what the Americans call "cruel and unusual punishment".

Just announced that 1V60 is terminating at Plymouth tonight due to no onward traincrew, so that's the ball burst. Very, very annoying.

Classic XC failure. Longest day, longest train journey, loads of free twitter PR through allthestations, RDG, twitter etc, and they fail to actually run the service end to end. Sooner this shambolic franchise ends the better.

Highlandspring

Established Member
It was me who was messed about yesterday, having to change onto 1C90 at Plymouth, arriving nearly 50 minutes late as a result and rendering the whole trip futile as the whole point was to go all the way on one train. Still the sun's been out in Penzance today.

Harbornite

Established Member
Voyagers aren't that bad. At least they've got better seats than those currently in use in the IETs.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Looks like it went well- they were in 1st, and it was presumably all paid for by Rail Delivery Group and National Rail Enquiries as they were mentioned, had people along for the ride and were "live" streaming from the cab on the NRE Facebook. Which went wrong immediately when the pre-recorded video started at Birmingham. They did after that refer to it as "as live". Cheeky. But certainly a more sensible way to do it

BigCj34

Would like to do this route, probably go First Class as I would almost certainly be doing it for the novelty rather than any practical reason (the only one I could think of is if I was doing the Land's End - John O'Groats and happened to be coming from Aberdeen). However is this route being scrapped, possibly in favour of a route to Guildford instead?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Would like to do this route, probably go First Class as I would almost certainly be doing it for the novelty rather than any practical reason (the only one I could think of is if I was doing the Land's End - John O'Groats and happened to be coming from Aberdeen). However is this route being scrapped, possibly in favour of a route to Guildford instead?

Due to the Derby works the 08:20 from Aberdeen changes to Guildford from the 23rd July

And I can't really imagine many folk doing that journey end to end!

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Due to the Derby works the 08:20 from Aberdeen changes to Guildford from the 23rd July

Will it revert back to Penzance at some point, or is the 22nd of July the last chance to do ABD-PNZ?

mm333

I tried to do it last year, but we were terminated at Exeter as there was a storm and Voyagers aren't allowed through Dawlish if the sea water is coming over in case it gets into the underfloor engines. We decamped onto a GWR HST and made it to Penzance about 90 late. So with Delay Repay of 100% I did the trip for free!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I tried to do it last year, but we were terminated at Exeter as there was a storm and Voyagers aren't allowed through Dawlish if the sea water is coming over in case it gets into the underfloor engines...
I think the problem area is the roof mounted braking resistances...

Status
Not open for further replies.