• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

All The Stations - project to video every British Railway Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esker-pades

Established Member
Exactly: The same rules Geoff set for his All The Stations project, as he's a holder of some of the top times for The Tube Challenge. He was completely open about this from the start, so well played for emphasising my point!

More seriously, well played on your own travelling achievements. Will you be making videos along the way (along with editing said videos) like the ATS team?
Click the link in my signature. That is how I report my trips.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

marks87

Established Member
That is what makes it a challenge.

Some stations have bus links between them. Others are fairly walkable. If one plans it correctly (which I have done for the HoW but in day trips from London), it is possible to spend 1-2 hours at stations.

If they got a bus to a station no doubt people would be on here complaining that they didn't catch a train to every station.

And even if they did get out everywhere, you can guarantee people would still find something to moan about.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
If they got a bus to a station no doubt people would be on here complaining that they didn't catch a train to every station.

And even if they did get out everywhere, you can guarantee people would still find something to moan about.

One plus of that is that we wouldn't hear those moans for another 18 months at least!

Esker-pades

Established Member

Take my example of Ludlow to Hopton Heath by bus. I get a train to Ludlow, but from there to Hopton Heath, and get a train from Hopton Heath onwards. As long as one gets a train either to or from the destination, it is fine.

How can you travel to a station if you don't actually alight at it? Surely if you are not actually getting off the train and walking around the station then you have not travelled to the station?

Just like you haven't travelled to a country if you only fly over its airspace or sail through its territorial waters. Or you haven't travelled to the supermarket if you just go past it in a bus. Or you haven't travelled to a shop if you just walk past it. This is how i see it.

The way i see it as that you have only visited a station or travelled to a station if you have actually alighted from the train and walked around the station. Or if you have travelled to and from the station another way such as on foot or by road (and don't use the train at all) then i would count that as well as long as you walk around the station and are actually on station property.

I really don't think that just staying onboard a train that stops there (but not actually alighting) really counts as visiting a station or travelling to a station. At least that is how i view it.

Altnabreac

Established Member
How can you travel to a station if you don't actually alight at it? Surely if you are not actually getting off the train and walking around the station then you have not travelled to the station?

Just like you haven't travelled to a country if you only fly over its airspace or sail through its territorial waters. Or you haven't travelled to the supermarket if you just go past it in a bus. Or you haven't travelled to a shop if you just walk past it. This is how i see it.

The way i see it as that you have only visited a station or travelled to a station if you have actually alighted from the train and walked around the station. Or if you have travelled to and from the station another way such as on foot or by road (and don't use the train at all) then i would count that as well as long as you walk around the station and are actually on station property.

I really don't think that just staying onboard a train that stops there (but not actually alighting) really counts as visiting a station or travelling to a station. At least that is how i view it.

It's a shame that All the Stations forced you to contribute money after telling you exactly what they'd do and then forced you to watch their videos against your will. I'd definitely ask for a refund...

marks87

Established Member
Take my example of Ludlow to Hopton Heath by bus. I get a train to Ludlow, but from there to Hopton Heath, and get a train from Hopton Heath onwards. As long as one gets a train either to or from the destination, it is fine.

Yes, but that's you who thinks that's fine. Alice Jones or Bob Smith might disagree, setting their own criteria of "alight and board" at every station.

The point is that no matter what they did, someone would find some way of complaining about it.

berneyarms

Established Member

For goodness sakes.

These people decided to do something.

They set out clearly beforehand how they interpreted this task and set out clearly how they were going to do it.

They then proceeded to do what they said they would do.

That’s the end of it.

No amount of repeated moaning on and on is going to change this.

No one is forcing you to watch their videos either.

But clearly many people did enjoy it (including myself).

If you want to do a project then fire away but stop going on about two people who did precisely what they said at the outset that they were going to do.

I don’t think that you seem to have grasped that it was *their* project and that they were free to call it whatever they liked, and and to set their own parameters.

Surprisingly enough - a democracy allows us to do things like this as we wish and not be defined by someone else’s perceptions.

I think you need to move on to be honest.

PR1Berske

Established Member
31 pages and still the same complaints! How are people not getting it?!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I don't think there is much more to discuss on this project. The project has achieved its original objectives and were fun to watch for many people, I am sure. Keeping this thread open is just going to attract more arguments about the legitimacy of the rules used which is frankly boring, to put it mildly, only for things to go round and round in circles.

As I said before, if some people have a problem with the rules, then so be it. No one is forced to contribute. Anyone feeling really that strongly about the "illegitimacy" of Geoff and Vicki's rules are welcome to start their own projects. The world is everyone's oyster.

If anyone wishes to discuss other similar projects in the pipeline, feel free to start dedicated threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.