• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

All The Stations - project to video every British Railway Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I'll stick with my private collection of photo's of every BR station open at the time of Privatisation in 1994. Every station actually visited and set foot on, with a freight or pax service passing through, and self funded. Bit more historical me thinks.

Wow - now that is impressive.

--- this seems more to me like "look at me I've been to every station" which isn't particularly useful. Maybe I'm getting uncharitable in my advancing years, however I'm seeing this as not much more than attention-seeking self publicity.

I think you might just need to accept that there are occasionally things that you do not understand. I could look at your entire life and I doubt you could come up with an answer that satisfied me if I asked "What is the point?". However, I am not trying to pull you up on this point, am I?

Exactly - slightly OT but --- on July 25th 1976 I officially cleared my locos for the first time - every locomotive, heating unit etc in capital stock. It was on number 1 target point Swansea East dock by the way - 08663 allocated to Landore. I cleared them for the second time in 1978 - 08684 at Northampton for the record and the 3rd time 37043 at Scunthorpe. I got sick and tired of certain people not believing me and so I set out to photograph every single one. I came up 250 short before I said "Screw it - I know I have done it and that is all that matters" . People do what they want with their lives and hobbies.

So I say - "Well done and good luck to them and screw anyone else that does not understand". end of

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dhassell

I'll stick with my private collection of photo's of every BR station open at the time of Privatisation in 1994. Every station actually visited and set foot on, with a freight or pax service passing through, and self funded. Bit more historical me thinks.

Yes but in 25 years what they collect would also be historical :roll:

Master29

Established Member
There's nothing forcing you to donate. Indeed, I didn't donate myself, because I'm not *that* bothered.

If you don't want to donate, why would you want to blow raspberries at the project? Good luck to them. Some of us are canny enough to make our hobbies self-funding, but it does involve a healthy dose of get off your backside and hard work. Geoff isn't just some dude off the street, he's built a considerable profile over ten years working on a great site and running two YouTube channels.

The point is, he asked for money from people who wanted to see the content, he managed to secure it - he's vindicated by that alone.

That last statement alone means nothing. People donate to various projects and end up conned. Although this may not be in that league the precedent is the same. Canny enough? what is that supposed to mean? Not everyone can afford hobbies that cost a fortune. It doesn`t always have anything to do with hard work. Not the politics of envy either. I could easily afford to do what they are doing but wouldn`t ask anyone on this forum for money would I. He may well have a good profile and I`m not disputing that but the fact still remains. It`s a jolly.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Not everyone can afford hobbies that cost a fortune. ---- It`s a jolly.

It is known on Frequent Flier forums OPM -Other People's Money. If you can travel on company business, it is nice. I remember in the 1980s doing Preston -Euston return in First Class paid for by the company I worked for - very nice indeed.

So these people attempting to do what they are doing on OPM is rather canny IMHO. :D

Trainfan344

Established Member
Remember, Geoff and Vicky won't be working for other people throughout this, so part of the funds raised has to cover their wages along with the people they're going to employ to edit the videos!

Master29

Established Member
It is known on Frequent Flier forums OPM -Other People's Money. If you can travel on company business, it is nice. I remember in the 1980s doing Preston -Euston return in First Class paid for by the company I worked for - very nice indeed.

So these people attempting to do what they are doing on OPM is rather canny IMHO. :D

Precisely. I don`t fault them in any way personally. If people give to it that`s their lookout.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Precisely. I don't fault them in any way personally. If people give to it that's their lookout.

Exactly my view -Good luck to them. I hope it works out but i don't share the interest. I am a tight northern bloke so don't easily part with cash for fripperies. Lived in Yorkshire too long..............

( I also admire the chutzpah in asking people to pay for what looks like (but obviously isnt) a jolly! )

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
That last statement alone means nothing. People donate to various projects and end up conned. Although this may not be in that league the precedent is the same. Canny enough? what is that supposed to mean? Not everyone can afford hobbies that cost a fortune. It doesn't always have anything to do with hard work. Not the politics of envy either. I could easily afford to do what they are doing but wouldn't ask anyone on this forum for money would I. He may well have a good profile and I'm not disputing that but the fact still remains. It's a jolly.

Don't donate to anything then, if you're worried about being conned.

This clearly is not a con but a serious project undertaken by two people with well-established profiles who would risk rubbishing their names if it really was a con. So what if they enjoy it? My hobby is also (almost) self-funding too thanks to viewers on YouTube being displayed adverts. I enjoy what I do. I also put in lots of time to make sure that what I do is watchable - though it's nowhere near as good quality as Geoff's stuff.

Lots of people ask for money, via Patreon, or other crowdfunding sources. Some people who do similar things to what I do actually ask airlines for free tickets - I don't have that profile - yet - but good luck to them. You don't ask, you don't get.

Incidentally, lots of things you enjoy watching on telly will have been funded by investors. Just because in this case the funding is coming in very small from ordinary people rather than large venture capital firms doesn't make a difference.

Hornet

Yes but in 25 years what they collect would also be historical :roll:

It would if they had done every station, not just filmed some that they passed through/stopped at but not got off. Their spiel did not match up to what I would of expected. I had less services to play with in the 80's and early 90's, plus social media wasn't around, so no crowd funding (would not have even entered my head to do that anyway, more satisfaction with doing it and financing it yourself). As I had left BR in 1981 there was no free/reduced rate travel. No digital camera (film sent off to Bonusprint, if anyone remembers them), no sat-nav (OS Maps), no electronic timetables (Paper BR All Line Timetables, of which I have quite a collection), etc,etc,etc.

Last edited:

Feathers44

That last statement alone means nothing. People donate to various projects and end up conned. Although this may not be in that league the precedent is the same. Canny enough? what is that supposed to mean? Not everyone can afford hobbies that cost a fortune. It doesn`t always have anything to do with hard work. Not the politics of envy either. I could easily afford to do what they are doing but wouldn`t ask anyone on this forum for money would I. He may well have a good profile and I`m not disputing that but the fact still remains. It`s a jolly.

I love the fact that this is nothing more than a 'my opinion is right' piece that then tries to shoot down any dissenting opinion in exactly the same way as is being complained about. It's lovely. You don't like it, we get it!

I wouldn't pay for it, but I'm interested enough in the output. Keeping up in real time will probably pall a bit after a while, though, depending how long the weekly output actually is.

bramling

Veteran Member
I love the fact that this is nothing more than a 'my opinion is right' piece that then tries to shoot down any dissenting opinion in exactly the same way as is being complained about. It's lovely. You don't like it, we get it!

I wouldn't pay for it, but I'm interested enough in the output. Keeping up in real time will probably pall a bit after a while, though, depending how long the weekly output actually is.

I must admit I would find the output better if Geoff's face wasn't always plastered all over it. This is what makes me find it more about "look at me I'm playing trains".

Master29

Established Member

Everyone`s opinion is right...To them. Naysayers are "shot down" as you put it. What`s the difference?

Scotty

I must admit I would find the output better if Geoff's face wasn't always plastered all over it. This is what makes me find it more about "look at me I'm playing trains".

Geoff is well-known, it helps to 'know' who you're supporting - it's not just some random person asking for funding!

bramling

Veteran Member
Geoff is well-known, it helps to 'know' who you're supporting - it's not just some random person asking for funding!

Yes well, maybe I'm picking up the wrong vibes, however others manage to produce films which don't seem to me to be so in-your-face as the Geofftech ones. I really take his ones as being more about the producer than the content, which is a shame as some of the subject matter is potentially interesting. "Look at me" is the message I take from them.

backontrack

Established Member
That makes it rather pointless then. Can't see what they aim to achieve apart from a paid for soiree around the rail network. I had an immense amount of satisfaction when I completed my Photographic Odyssey on the 31/03/1994. It's an achievement that no-one can take away from me. No sofa surfing, more putting a two man tent up in a howling gale in some remote part of Scotland, after spending 14 hours on a motorcycle getting soaked. Petrol money, food and camera film and development all out of my hard earned. Their project seems a bit soft and anodyne to me.

Respect.

Clip

Established Member
The point? Well, they are making a film which they hope people will enjoy. Its as simple as that is it not? Nobody is forcing you to chip in, you'll still be able to watch the videos for free if you want, you might even enjoy it.

And no doubt said video will get many views and many ads on it to earn them some cash from that too.

Its basically someones holiday fund isnt it?

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
I still find it shocking that he has managed to get over £33000 from people! Do these people even realise that they are paying for a railway enthusiast to travel around the country riding on trains and making videos!

I find it far more shocking that I have to give money from my taxes to one of the world's wealthiest landowning families - and I have no choice in the matter. I wish the royal family was funded by the people who really wanted them (maybe they'd be even richer !) I'd rather spend the money on something else - at least with the videos you have a choice.

455refurb

Of course it's a jolly, but then you could argue so is any job where you absolutely love your work. He's managed to get his followers to fund a project he's going to love every second of, so good luck to him.

I didn't contribute, but I hope those who did enjoy the finished product.

Scotty

I find it far more shocking that I have to give money from my taxes to one of the world's wealthiest landowning families - and I have no choice in the matter. I wish the royal family was funded by the people who really wanted them (maybe they'd be even richer !) I'd rather spend the money on something else - at least with the videos you have a choice.

What would you spend your 60p on instead?

MadCommuter

It's a shame the map doesn't update more frequently and their Tweets aren't all that often either. Some tweets about the day's tally of stations, signing off, plan for the next day, etc would be interesting. I can't imagine they're too busy on trains all day long?

trash80

Established Member
The tweeting has picked up, it'll take them a few days to get into their stride.

First video is great, look forward to the rest!

PR1Berske

Established Member
That first video is very good, and I suspect each subsequent one will have something for everyone, even the doubters!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
And no doubt said video will get many views and many ads on it to earn them some cash from that too.

Its basically someones holiday fund isnt it?

I don't think they've monetised the videos on youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.