• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

All The Stations - project to video every British Railway Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEdge

Established Member
I was really enjoying this then Norfolk happened and I fell out of interest. Yes, we saw Shippea Hill for the umpteenth time but nothing of any of the other interesting stations. The swing bridges on the broads, movable platforms at Halesworth, Berney Arms. Rather disappointed, but it's okay, we saw Shippea Hill again (which is probably not the least used station anymore thanks to them...)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

berneyarms

Established Member
They're going to feature Berney Arms in a bonus video per their twitter account (I'm happy about that!).

To be fair Vicki had a personal connection with Shippea Hill - I'm not surprised it featured prominently.

They've had some very good videos since.

Last edited:

DuncanS

The issue for me is they appear far more interested in the places they have never been or don't know very well - the first week in Cornwall and Devon was a lovely series of videos but for me when it became London and the South East then I think the sense of wonder and enjoyment was missing for a while as they were over familiar with the area they were in.

Which sounds a bit over critical, I'm enjoying what they are doing and think that as they get into Wales and Scotland things will be very interesting.

Plus I'm learning new things, I'd never even heard of the Heights of Abraham before the ATS video, looked a very scenic place to go and with added caves and mines its certainly peaked my interest in going there and I do love a cable car.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
..are you insinuating that they dodged the fare ?

no - I am insinuating they got a better service than those of us who use and rely on the line everyday AND pay a lot more than them for the service.

For the real experience of the line they should have arrived at Bletchley on a late running LM mainline train to see the little train disappear round the corner or have the guard shut the door in their face tapping their watch having run form a late London train. They should then have spent an hour cooling their heels at a dull Bletchley before finding that the next Marston Vale line train was cancelled and then waited another hour for a mini bus to show up. They should have experianced the random staff absences or train failures that seem to crop up out of no where.

If the train did run they should have experienced the way the 153 can loose time to such an extent that an easy connection is missed for no real reason. They should have tried to drag a buggy or bike up the steps from P6 at Blethcley. They should have ground to halt in the middle of no where with a train or equipment failure.

They should have sat at a station in the middle of no where and waited for a train. and waited. and waited. and waited and then worked out the train was cancelled. They should have turned up on bikes and been refused carriage because "there are 3 on already mate".

But yeah they got tea and cakes on the train.

Last edited:

trash80

Established Member
I was really enjoying this then Norfolk happened and I fell out of interest. Yes, we saw Shippea Hill for the umpteenth time but nothing of any of the other interesting stations. The swing bridges on the broads, movable platforms at Halesworth, Berney Arms. Rather disappointed, but it's okay, we saw Shippea Hill again (which is probably not the least used station anymore thanks to them...)

I do think there is a little too emphasis on "awkward" stations

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
no - I am insinuating they got a better service than those of us who use and rely on the line everyday AND pay a lot more than them for the service.

For the real experience of the line they should have arrived at Bletchley on a late running LM mainline train to see the little train disappear round the corner or have the guard shut the door in their face tapping their watch having run form a late London train. They should then have spent an hour cooling their heels at a dull Bletchley before finding that the next Marston Vale line train was cancelled and then waited another hour for a mini bus to show up. They should have experianced the random staff absences or train failures that seem to crop up out of no where.

If the train did run they should have experienced the way the 153 can loose time to such an extent that an easy connection is missed for no real reason. They should have tried to drag a buggy or bike up the steps from P6 at Blethcley. They should have ground to halt in the middle of no where with a train or equipment failure.

They should have sat at a station in the middle of no where and waited for a train. and waited. and waited. and waited and then worked out the train was cancelled. They should have turned up on bikes and been refused carriage because "there are 3 on already mate".

But yeah they got tea and cakes on the train.

Well at least you can rest in the knowledge that Thameslink lived up to their expectations the other week and fouled up their day.

trash80

Established Member
Yes but seem some larger stations miss out. Having said that i really enjoyed today's Bordseley video.

Polarbear

Established Member

If the train did run they should have experienced the way the 153 can loose time to such an extent that an easy connection is missed for no real reason. They should have tried to drag a buggy or bike up the steps from P6 at Bletchley. They should have ground to halt in the middle of no where with a train or equipment failure.

So just a normal day on the Marston Vale line......;)

jon0844

Veteran Member
I expect they'll have been messed around from time to time, but the whole idea is meant to be positive. I am sure there are blind eyes turned to some incidents to paint a better picture of what's quite a fascinating journey.

Geoff has done many 'secrets of' videos before and they're always fascinating and stand the test of time. I personally don't want a video that shows they had problems and focussing on trivial things like that.

Maybe that could be the subject of a video of its own, like an outtakes video. Actually, I might suggest that to him!

bramling

Veteran Member
I expect they'll have been messed around from time to time, but the whole idea is meant to be positive. I am sure there are blind eyes turned to some incidents to paint a better picture of what's quite a fascinating journey.

Geoff has done many 'secrets of' videos before and they're always fascinating and stand the test of time. I personally don't want a video that shows they had problems and focussing on trivial things like that.

Maybe that could be the subject of a video of its own, like an outtakes video. Actually, I might suggest that to him!

When they go to Kings Lynn, assuming they travel with Great Northern as opposed to AGA, perhaps they could do a feature on the seating in the 387s. They could interview some other passengers to get a feel for how people feel about the seating, then perhaps they could pay a visit to first class too. ;)

CheesyChips

I am enjoying the videos, to an extent. I think what I was really hoping they would be doing is going into some depth about their choice of route and this enhanced by graphics of said routes.

jon0844

Veteran Member
When they go to Kings Lynn, assuming they travel with Great Northern as opposed to AGA, perhaps they could do a feature on the seating in the 387s. They could interview some other passengers to get a feel for how people feel about the seating, then perhaps they could pay a visit to first class too. ;)

They could film and only realise part way through that they are in first class!

I am enjoying the videos, to an extent. I think what I was really hoping they would be doing is going into some depth about their choice of route and this enhanced by graphics of said routes.

I'm sure the proper editing will come later. It must be quite hard to do the videos as it is, without doing them as professionally as standalone films.

IanD

Established Member
I expect they'll have been messed around from time to time, but the whole idea is meant to be positive.

I thought the idea was that it was meant to be an accurate snapshot of the state of the nations railways - positive or negative. Not sue where all the castles etc... fit in to that either.

Established Member
I thought the idea was that it was meant to be an accurate snapshot of the state of the nations railways - positive or negative. Not sue where all the castles etc... fit in to that either.

Isn't that mainly because Vicki likes Castles etc. and they are making it a bit Portillo ish. I was quite impressed they managed to interview Sir Peter Hendy, and they got Afternoon Tea on the Marston Vale line, but overall I think it could be better.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
They're literally being sponsored corporately by Rail Delivery Group and the likes of Peter Hendy personally backed the Kickstarter.

I literally am not bothered who was a contributor to any crowd funding. All the stations should be warts and all not just pr spin and management. Come down our line without any PR fanfare and see what it is like - record that reality.

IanD

Established Member
Isn't that mainly because Vicki likes Castles etc.

Adding fuel to people's belief that it's just a jolly.

I was quite impressed they managed to interview Sir Peter Hendy, and they got Afternoon Tea on the Marston Vale line, but overall I think it could be better.

Peter Hendy may be relevant but afternoon tea on the Marston Vale line is not recording any true version of the state of the nation's railways.

DuncanS

Its highlighting a specific use that the railways have - tourism.

Now whether or not the series is highlighting other specific areas of the network such as freight traffic and what its like to travel at the peak times is another thing but I've no problem with them highlighting what you can find within walking distance of some stations.

Indeed, as was sort of floated above, I'd like to see less emphasis on awkward stations and more on facilities etc available to the train traveller and more on the quirks of the system - that hand operated barrier the other week was interesting (to me!) and I'd like to see more of that sort of thing.

Every station in the UK will be awkward for someone.

For what its worth - I have no issues with the concept or the content but I would like to see a more reflective of the average day on the network video or two. As they appear to be using Rover tickets which don't start until after the morning peak I feel they are missing out a massive part of what the network actually does.

....mind you we also need a last train home on a Saturday night video :)

Last edited:

w0033944

I thought it was rather a let-down as well.

DuncanS

Not mentioned in the original spec. Sounds like scope creep to me.

Having a pee wasn't mentioned in the original spec but I'm assuming they are doing that during their days on the rail.

If you've seen the videos you'll know when and why they do the castles and it doesn't seem like scope creep to me.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Sounds like they are having the standard GWR Thames Valley experience anyway with a few different issues down that way this afternoon!

berneyarms

Established Member
Not mentioned in the original spec. Sounds like scope creep to me.

You make this sound like a rigid project that must stay within defined parameters - they are doing the basic project of visiting all the stations, but I don't see any issue in showing off the country or towns that they visit as they travel around.

The negativity from some of the posts here is verging on ridiculous - the tea and cake was a bit of fun - people need to lighten up a bit.

One look at today's tweets and you'll see that they've had numerous problems in the Thames Valley. They've missed connections on other days too. It hasn't gone all according to plan.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Well nothing stopping anyone doing their own version and including all the things they think should be included .

trash80

Established Member
You make this sound like a rigid project that must stay within defined parameters - they are doing the basic project of visiting all the stations, but I don't see any issue in showing off the country or towns that they visit as they travel around.

Yes i think it would be rather dull if they just listed all the stations they go through without stopping off now and then for something interesting (not always castles!)

Status
Not open for further replies.