• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

All The Stations - project to video every British Railway Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marklund

no - I am insinuating they got a better service than those of us who use and rely on the line everyday AND pay a lot more than them for the service.

For the real experience of the line they should have arrived at Bletchley on a late running LM mainline train to see the little train disappear round the corner or have the guard shut the door in their face tapping their watch having run form a late London train. They should then have spent an hour cooling their heels at a dull Bletchley before finding that the next Marston Vale line train was cancelled and then waited another hour for a mini bus to show up. They should have experianced the random staff absences or train failures that seem to crop up out of no where.

If the train did run they should have experienced the way the 153 can loose time to such an extent that an easy connection is missed for no real reason. They should have tried to drag a buggy or bike up the steps from P6 at Blethcley. They should have ground to halt in the middle of no where with a train or equipment failure.

They should have sat at a station in the middle of no where and waited for a train. and waited. and waited. and waited and then worked out the train was cancelled. They should have turned up on bikes and been refused carriage because "there are 3 on already mate".

But yeah they got tea and cakes on the train.

Why don't you produce a vlog of it then?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trash80

Established Member
They often have trouble, if you watch the videos a few times they've mentioned how they only just caught (and sometimes missed) a connection due to late running trains.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Why don't you produce a vlog of it then?

what is a vlog?

My twitter account accurately "micro blogs" the reality of the line.

Can somebody not critique the series without having to commit to improving on it?

quite! I simply complain that nice PR shots of media types getting tea and bums gives a bogus view of what the line can be like a lot of the time. it certainly doesn't show the frustrations felt by many regular users of the line.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
quite! I simply complain that nice PR shots of media types getting tea and bums gives a bogus view of what the line can be like a lot of the time. it certainly doesn't show the frustrations felt by many regular users of the line.

Oh come on. Are you seriously suggestion people will watch that video and assume getting tea given to them at a station is a realistic view of what the service is actually like? No chance. It was just a fun stunt, nothing more.

berneyarms

Established Member
what is a vlog?

As I posted above - it was a bit of fun, that's all. You are really taking it too seriously. A little bit of humour goes a long way.

As for problems - their day on the Thames Valley yesterday was beset with cancellations, so they're not having it all their own way by any means. They had to give up eventually in fact.

nlogax

Established Member
Some people seem to be expecting Panorama or Despatches

Quite. If people who didn't contribute to this project are so irked that the project doesn't feature x, y or z then go ahead and start your own project covering whatever you want to cover, or tweet to your heart's content. And seriously..nobody is actually going to assume tea and cake is a staple of LM services. Fgs.

Meanwhile I'm sure many of us will keep enjoying Vicki and Geoff's travels and updates. Today's video about the Stourbridge PPM was especially good.

Last edited:

Seacook

...and unlike Panorama you have a choice as to whether or not you contribute to it's production.

If you don't watch any TV programmes, you don't have to buy a TV licence. (I assume this is what you mean.) You do have a choice, though you may not find it palatable.

Where you have no choice is for programmes funded by advertising unless you never never never buy any goods or services from companies that pay for TV advertising.

trash80

Established Member
And currently they are on a rail replacement bus as their train to Hereford was cancelled, what was that about a rosy view? :p

Marklund

what is a vlog?

Use Google. Or Bing.

Try and promote it better then. If it meant that much to you pay for social media advertising.

:roll:

CheesyChips

A vlog is essentially 'video blog'. I think this is called a portmanteau where two words are squeezed into one.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Some people seem to be expecting Panorama or Despatches

and many of you seem unwilling to consider criticism of any sort in relation to this uber spotter wibble fest.

Try and promote it better then. If it meant that much to you pay for social media advertising.

Unlike many of you I am not a cheerleading TOC fan boy. I simply tell the truth as shown by my experiences in using the line and paying for my season ticket.

In any event the users group do a very good job in promoting the line. That is after all their job. I merely pay for the privilege of using the trains and if I don't get what I consider to be a decent service i will let people know. I will also happily let LM know when they or their staff offer a great service.

Oh come on. Are you seriously suggestion people will watch that video and assume getting tea given to them at a station is a realistic view of what the service is actually like? No chance. It was just a fun stunt, nothing more.

Perhaps not, however people ( like many of the commentators here) who never use the line will get a false idea of what it can be like a lot of the time.

PS when will us mere paying saps who keep the line going get a free brew and bun?

Last edited:

DuncanS

So much anger and hate over such trivial things.

Maybe stop reading the thread, it'll do your blood pressure no end of good.

Marklund

Unlike many of you I am not a cheerleading TOC fan boy. I simply tell the truth as shown by my experiences in using the line and paying for my season ticket.

Cheerleading TOC fan boy. That's a good one.:lol:

The only TOC I cheer for is one that finished in 1997.

PS when will us mere paying saps who keep the line going get a free brew and bun?

Oh, so bitter. :roll:

bbrez

Unlike Darlington's version of Victor Meldrew I have thoroughly enjoyed this series. I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't an episode a day but I know the work which goes into video editing, it's just impossible.

A nice way to spend 10 mins at work skiving and I certainly will be visiting Matlock and a few other places they have been thanks to this.

marks87

Established Member
Perhaps not, however people ( like many of the commentators here) who never use the line will get a false idea of what it can be like a lot of the time.

Surely even without the "tea and cakes" there was a strong chance of them happening to turn up on a day when the line was running smoothly? Wouldn't that equally be giving "a false idea of what the line can be like a lot of the time"?

Do you propose they should hang around until there's disruption?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Surely even without the "tea and cakes" there was a strong chance of them happening to turn up on a day when the line was running smoothly? Wouldn't that equally be giving "a false idea of what the line can be like a lot of the time"?

Do you propose they should hang around until there's disruption?

indeed they could have turned up on decent day. The last one was 1967 ;)

trash80

Established Member
and many of you seem unwilling to consider criticism of any sort in relation to this uber spotter wibble fest.

Well some of us have criticised aspects of the project though i think your criticism of a TOC offering them tea and buns for some free PR is a bit pointless thats all.

Lrd

Established Member
Well some of us have criticised aspects of the project though i think your criticism of a TOC offering them tea and buns for some free PR is a bit pointless thats all.
I'm with DarloRich on this, the tea and cake was a bit petty of London Midland especially so when they were using the Marston Vale line.

And that manager they interviewed at Bletchley didn't exactly inspire confidence in the LM management team for me...

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Was something very heart warming about seeing that they are around my old neck of the woods today (the South Wales Valleys). Kind of strange since I am back around there fairly frequently anyway!

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
I'm with DarloRich on this, the tea and cake was a bit petty of London Midland especially so when they were using the Marston Vale line.

And that manager they interviewed at Bletchley didn't exactly inspire confidence in the LM management team for me...

... it is a bit ironic PR from a company that stopped providing on train catering

Status
Not open for further replies.