• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

All trains on slow lines from Watford Jnc - Hanslope Jnc - why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenW390Fan

Hi, I noticed that all trains from watford to Hanslope Jnc through the night seem to run on the slow lines instead of the usual fast lines, this includes 390's and the Caledonian Sleeper. I've noticed this from riding on a 390 myself from Euston and it did run on the slow lines and this was a couple years ago and I've also noticed it in SimSig timetables and general observation. Is there any particular reason for this? As far as I know there wasn't any TCF's or any line closures in place at the time so it seemed strange to not utilise the FL

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Hi, I noticed that all trains from watford to Hanslope Jnc through the night seem to run on the slow lines instead of the usual fast lines, this includes 390's and the Caledonian Sleeper. I've noticed this from riding on a 390 myself from Euston and it did run on the slow lines and this was a couple years ago and I've also noticed it in SimSig timetables and general observation. Is there any particular reason for this? As far as I know there wasn't any TCF's or any line closures in place at the time so it seemed strange to not utilise the FL.
Maybe they had a signalling issue. On the other hand, sometimes I've seen AWC trains on the slows for no apparent reason, although in the cases I've seen it I think it was to clear a backlog of delayed trains perhaps. Other than that I'm not sure what it could be.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Late night trains from Euston are usually timed to use the slow lines to allow for engineering work. Depending on what work is/isn't taking place then the fast lines may be used.

BenW390Fan

Maybe they had a signalling issue. On the other hand, sometimes I've seen AWC trains on the slows for no apparent reason, although in the cases I've seen it I think it was to clear a backlog of delayed trains perhaps. Other than that I'm not sure what it could be.
Not sure what it is either, I've just had a quick look at RTT for last nights services passing Bourne End Jnc and even then all trains are on the SL, here's one for example: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P03688/2020-10-04/detailed

EDIT: Just read the above post, must've got posted before mine haha. Thanks

Late night trains from Euston are usually timed to use the slow lines to allow for engineering work. Depending on what work is/isn't taking place then the fast lines may be used.
Interesting, would they switch it over if engineering work was on the SL?

jfollows

Established Member
It looks like planned work, if you look at a sample train such as 1F10 05:27 London-Liverpool today (https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P03735/2020-10-05/detailed) you'll see that it ran slow line and was still five minutes early by Milton Keynes.

Later trains such as 1H05 06:16 London-Manchester (https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P03800/2020-10-05/detailed) ran fast line.

The timetable allows for the fast lines to be taken out of use overnight and into the early morning. Or the slow lines.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hi, I noticed that all trains from watford to Hanslope Jnc through the night seem to run on the slow lines instead of the usual fast lines, this includes 390's and the Caledonian Sleeper. I've noticed this from riding on a 390 myself from Euston and it did run on the slow lines and this was a couple years ago and I've also noticed it in SimSig timetables and general observation. Is there any particular reason for this? As far as I know there wasn't any TCF's or any line closures in place at the time so it seemed strange to not utilise the FL

There are scheduled blocks of either the fast or slow lines on a rotating basis to allow for scheduled maintenance works -it is referred to as a "two track railway" in the industry.

BenW390Fan

It looks like planned work, if you look at a sample train such as 1F10 05:27 London-Liverpool today (https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P03735/2020-10-05/detailed) you'll see that it ran slow line and was still five minutes early by Milton Keynes.

Later trains such as 1H05 London-Manchester (https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P03800/2020-10-05/detailed) ran fast line.

The timetable allows for the fast lines to be taken out of use overnight and into the early morning. Or vice-versa.
Oh, so the timetables allow for it. Thanks! :)

There are scheduled blocks of either the fast or slow lines on a rotating basis to allow for scheduled maintenance works -it is referred to as a "two track railway" in the industry.
Are there works most nights then? I'm not too good with sayings in railway terms lol :D

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Are there works most nights then? I'm not too good with sayings in railway terms lol :D

There will be inspections or works most nights. But, importantly, the block of one pair of lines each night also allows for the repair of any infrastructure which is found to be defective during the day.

It’s not just the WCML that has this; Most 4 track railways that are paired by use have similar arrangements.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
The GWML has 2-track Railway most nights, various sections are taken depending what work is required. The timetable allows for slower running times and Each week the plan is modified to show trains running over whichever pair of lines is open, often with weaves at somewhere like Dolphin or Ruscombe.

BenW390Fan

There will be inspections or works most nights. But, importantly, the block of one pair of lines each night also allows for the repair of any infrastructure which is found to be defective during the day.

It’s not just the WCML that has this; Most 4 track railways that are paired by use have similar arrangements.
The GWML has 2-track Railway most nights, various sections are taken depending what work is required. The timetable allows for slower running times and Each week the plan is modified to show trains running over whichever pair of lines is open, often with weaves at somewhere like Dolphin or Ruscombe.
Thanks for the replies, interesting to hear it's not just the wcml

SteveHFC

As has been indicated elsewhere, most sections of 4-track have similar arrangements. Essentially the timetable is planned as a 2-track railway, thus meaning that trains can either run slow line or fast line depending on which lines are blocked. Only disruption this causes is access to junctions, loops and yards - for example, if the slow lines are out on the WCML between Milton Keynes and Watford, then the sidings at Bletchley can't be accessed.

On some lines the trains are moved week to week to be timed on the line they will actually run on, this happens on the GWML for example (the team I work with at Network Rail do this), whilst on others, such as the WCML they are timed on the slows, but just run on the fasts if the slows are blocked by works.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
On some lines the trains are moved week to week to be timed on the line they will actually run on, this happens on the GWML for example (the team I work with at Network Rail do this), whilst on others, such as the WCML they are timed on the slows, but just run on the fasts if the slows are blocked by works.

The difference in technique is usually down to whether trains are routed by ARS or not. If all 4 lines are open but trains are timed over Slow/Reliefs, then while a human signaller will use common sense and route via the most appropriate lines, ARS will religiously follow the plan (which causes particular problems if stopping trains are timed over the Mains but the gates to platforms are normally locked etc if all lines are officially open.)

Class 170101

Established Member
The GEML between Liverpool Street and Shenfield with all trains between 00:30 and 05:15 timed over the Electric Lines. Sometimes you will see them all on the Main Lines instead. Like the WCML certain facilities will be closed.

For example when the WCML runs on the Fast Lines overnight access to Bletchley Carriage Sidings may be restricted to either north or south exit or not available all.

Status
Not open for further replies.