• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alleged Fare Evasion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jscho84233

these are not fair comparisons. if i knew of any of the above crimes happening i'd happily phone the police. but you are talking about getting some poor kid a criminal record for trying to save a few quid on a rail ticket. your moral compass has gone haywire.

Are you serious?

No, we are talking about getting some idiot kid a criminal record for trying to steal from the Train Operating Companies.

As I see it, he is stealing a journey from the TOCs, just as he would be stealing a DVD from tescos. That is a perfectly fair comparison, and I suspect the vast majority of the population would agree. Just because a product is not tangible, that does not make it OK to steal it. If that was the case, then it would also be perfectly OK to download films and music from illegal websites. We all know that is not the case. Good on the OP for reporting the little scrote, and shame on you, TheWugzy for condoning the theft.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
these are not fair comparisons. if i knew of any of the above crimes happening i'd happily phone the police. but you are talking about getting some poor kid a criminal record for trying to save a few quid on a rail ticket. your moral compass has gone haywire.
Sorry but we cannot allow this to go unchallenged. You are entitled to think the way you do but you simply cannot post that here. If you want to make these views known, do so on your own website.

We have people come here asking for advice, not to be told that it's okay to do something that could lead them to being prosecuted with serious consequences (whatever your moral view may be). Have you seen the threads in the past year or two on here by people asking for our assistance for what you may see as "trying to save a few quid"?

A "poor kid" aged 17 who wants to save money on a train ticket, such as York to Derby departing 0830, or Harrogate to Sunderland departing around a similar time, can actually legitimately "save a few quid" by paying less than the through child fare by purchasing a valid combination of adult tickets. Those methods are legitimate, and require some research. Simply pretending to be aged 15 (it's amazing how many 15 year olds there are on the railways, and puzzling how much older many of them look than the average 15 year old!) in the case of those journeys would not only cost more money but could cost a potential future career.

Please think carefully before posting!

(and to those who have understandably challenged TheWugzy, please consider using the report button
report.gif
next time, thanks! :))

Established Member
Theft is theft.

I'm sure my moral compass fell out the window somewhere near Warrington.

Fare-Cop

Yes, the oldest that my office has recently prosecuted for using a child ticket was a 41 year-old 'Sorry I accidentally pressed the wrong button gov..'

Given that the 'accident' had been made physically impossible many years ago, the Magistrates were suitably unimpressed and a £2.80 avoidance resulted in a conviction and total financial penalty well in excess of £500.

LondonJohn

I have had an email today from a Revenue Control Officer who had been passed me email for investigation. I wont be informed of (and didnt expect to) the results of the investigation but they thank me for my email.

swj99

Sorry but we cannot allow this to go unchallenged.
This topic has got to be a wind up surely ? This is the kind of topic that's virtually guaranteed to get a reaction on here.
Have you ever heard the theory that 95% of the worlds wealth resides under the control of 5% of the population ? If there's any truth in it, then doesn't it follow on that 95% of the population is competing for the other 5% of the wealth ? If so, it goes some way to explaining the arguments I read about train fares (both here and elsewhere).

I have a suggestion which would eliminate fare evasion completely, and at the same time would also reduce traffic on the roads. But it's so simple and sensible the powers that be would never go for it, because it would also put an end to this game of cops and robbers that gets played endlessly on here, on facebook, in comments on newspaper articles and on trains up and down the country.
Oh yes, the suggestion is this. Abolish fares on public transport.

Barclay

Over the weekend, a friend from Reading travelled by train to my house in Twickenham, and we both then cycled back to Reading. When we got to Reading station, my friend offered me his unchecked ticket that he'd used that morning to travel across to Twickenham. Would it have been wrong to accept it?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
By law? Yes, I think it's treated as depriving the railways of revenue (I don't know where that's stated), a very serious issue. Morally of course everyone's different.

Last edited:

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Over the weekend, a friend from Reading travelled by train to my house in Twickenham, and we both then cycled back to Reading. When we got to Reading station, my friend offered me his unchecked ticket that he'd used that morning to travel across to Twickenham. Would it have been wrong to accept it?

Not a wise move anyway as that ticket has probably been through the barriers at Reading and maybe also at Twickenham already so it won't work a second time, the barrier staff can swipe the ticket to read the magstrip and see where it's gone through barriers regardless of it not having been marked on the train!

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Not a wise move anyway as that ticket has probably been through the barriers at Reading and . . . .
What I'm sure you meant to say, is that the reason that it is not a wise move is that it is an Offence in violation of Byelaw 21 and Condition 6 attached to the sale of the ticket.

What you have stated as the reason for not doing this, is the means by which evidence of the Offence might be detected.

You have unintentionally suggested that a wise person commits an offence but avoids being detected.
(Sorry to be critical but we don't want to be encouraging misuse of tickets, whether or not the misuse is likely to be detected).

Established Member
I'm sure a free travel scheme was set up somewhere like the Netherlands and it wasn't a success. Can't remember where it was, so someone else might be able to fill in the gaps.

I sure do know that the England Concessionary pass scheme has been a partial success, but at a much higher cost than first thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.