• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alliance Blackpool service to be run by Grand Central and start in 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southern Dvr

I would suggest that Grand Central would struggle to maintain route knowledge via the various diversionary routes mentioned above so unless a conductor driver is available they’ll likely just cancel services when the main WCML is unavailable.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Muenchener

Had confirmation via email today that GC are not aware of any agreements for GC passengers, with a 1st class ticket, to use the Avanti West Coast 1st class lounge at Euston once the service commences.

Which, given the impending HS2 work at Euston, is going to limit the places to catch some pre-train refreshment and workspace for those with a need.

Established Member
Who dispatches the Watford DC services at Euston as they’re operated by Arriva on behalf of TfL if I remember correctly.
Pretty sure the agreed walking time between platforms means there isn’t time between DC departures to get between, let alone using TOC resource for open access and all the complications that brings.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Had confirmation via email today that GC are not aware of any agreements for GC passengers, with a 1st class ticket, to use the Avanti West Coast 1st class lounge at Euston once the service commences.

Which, given the impending HS2 work at Euston, is going to limit the places to catch some pre-train refreshment and workspace for those with a need.

The HS2 work at Euston involves building an entirely new station on a completely different site before anything of note is done to the 1960s concourse, so there's plenty of places to sit (plus there's both the Taps in the gatehouses and the pub outside, not to mention the popular option of a cheeky Nando's). I've been in that lounge and it isn't really up to that much anyway. Given that the fares will be so much cheaper than Avanti's I doubt there will be anyone too bothered about this.

And why would Avanti let their competitor use their lounge? (I know CS passengers can, but CS isn't really in competition - indeed, up to a point in time I forget the Sleepers were actually operated by ScotRail under contract to ICWC!)

pt_mad

Established Member
Pretty sure the agreed walking time between platforms means there isn’t time between DC departures to get between, let alone using TOC resource for open access and all the complications that brings.
Could you clarify what this means please?
Not permitted at Euston, has to be CD/RA, ie from the platform, AIUI.
What is the AIUI?

Aictos

Established Member
I think it means that the LO staff won't have time to dispatch GC trains.

Can always roster agency staff to assist with the rostering of platform dispatchers.

It happens already with a number of TOCs so not a issue at Euston.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Do Grand Central have a lounge at Sunderland, York, Wakey, Halifax or Hartlepool?

Posters here are obsessed with lounges> Get a brew form the concourse. As @Bletchleyite says Euston is nowt special

VT 390

Established Member
Do Grand Central have a lounge at Sunderland, York, Wakey, Halifax or Hartlepool?

Posters here are obsessed with lounges> Get a brew form the concourse. As @Bletchleyite says Euston is nowt special
I think the only Grand Central lounge is at Wakefield Kirkgate.

GC have lounges at Wakefield and Hartlepool, think they are in the process of trying to get one at Eaglescliffe as well.

The lounge at Kings Cross is for LNER passengers only so not sure it's surprising that Euston is the same for AWC. Likewise I think Edinburgh Waverley's is LNER only despite XC and AWC also offering a 1st Class option from there?

A Challenge

Established Member
The lounge at Kings Cross is for LNER passengers only so not sure it's surprising that Euston is the same for AWC. Likewise I think Edinburgh Waverley's is LNER only despite XC and AWC also offering a 1st Class option from there?
Edinburgh Waverley allows use to sleeper passengers with certain types of ticket (though they don't have first class)

Aictos

Established Member
GC have lounges at Wakefield and Hartlepool, think they are in the process of trying to get one at Eaglescliffe as well.

Actually you’re wrong in saying that the LNER lounges are for their passengers only.

They are open to all who hold a Fully inter-available First Class Season Ticket (i.e. tickets not specific to one train company) meaning that if I held a Any Permitted Kings Cross to Peterborough 1st Season I could use it even if I chose to only travel on TL.

Tickets Accepted in LNER First Class Lounge:
  • Fully inter-available First Class Season Ticket (i.e. tickets not specific to one train company)
  • Any First Class Anytime ticket valid for travel on the LNER route
  • Any LNER First Class packages
  • First Advance (routed LNER & connections)
  • LNER First Class Reader Offer (routed LNER & connections)
  • LNER First Class Flat Fare (routed LNER & connections)
  • LNER Rewards First Class Leisure Single (routed LNER & connections)
  • LNER Self-Print First Class Upgrade voucher (routed LNER & connections)
  • Inclusive Tour Tickets (eg. Superbreak)
  • Weekend First

DarloRich

Veteran Member

8stewartt

For the diversions, northampton/weedon is compulsary. Routes at Rugby/Hanslope can't be queried. The rest I would guess would be west midlands via stechford, bescot, bushbury to Stafford, Colwich to Crewe via Stoke/Kidsgrove and maybe via man picc, however, doubt they will ever get diverted via picc as it's full.

Also as they will have so few drivers, and the diversionary routes will be very rarely used, keeping competency up will be a big challenge. personally i'd say Stafford to Rugby via west midlands would be the most accessible and beneficial during times of disruption. They would be better putting an agreement in place with an FOC for a route conductor provision during times of engineering or disruption.

wensley

Established Member
After yesterday's issues with the landslip at Dutton Viaduct, 90019 is out light engine today between Crewe and Wigan.
Full set expected to make a foray to Blackpool tomorrow morning!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I saw a man in full GC garb at Milton Keynes this week. He was reading a paper. Not sure if that is significant ;) It is good to see staff on the ground. Trains cant be far away.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Is there any indication yet of what their fares will be like? And of whether they'll be able to carry cycles?

Status
Not open for further replies.