• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alliance Blackpool service to be run by Grand Central and start in 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

krus_aragon

Established Member
Out of interest... That advert specifies only qualified train drivers. That presumably means, drivers who are likely to have been trained by a TOC. Is that standard practice amongst open access operators - to only employ drivers who have been trained by other companies? And if so, wouldn't that amount to an indirect way that the open access operators are being subsidised if it's always the franchised operators who have to pay to train them?
Perhaps it's unreasonable to expect a start-up open-access operator to train all their drivers. They'd need to hire at least one driving instructor, then spend a lot of their start-up capital on training them all. I would expect them to be able to train subsequent recruits (for expansion, or to replace natural wastage).

How comparable is it to start-ups and venture capitalists headhunting staff for key roles in their workforce?

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I don't know if there's an answer, other than forcing staff to pay for their own training (like some airlines) or introducing a transfer market (like football clubs)... neither of which are entirely serious suggestions. Interesting question though.

I do not think that is a good idea -there has to be some way of writing it into contracts - something that would have to be agreed with the unions too I would think.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
How comparable is it to start-ups and venture capitalists headhunting staff for key roles in their workforce?

Not very comparable. I don't think there are many industries in which a business would spend a lot of time and money training someone, with no expectation that they could contribute to the business in any way until after their training. In the the area I'm familiar with - IT - the usual system is that someone who has minimal skills would be employed on a low-ish salary carrying out tasks that don't require high skill levels, and in effect learning and boosting their skills on the job.

driver_m

Established Member
The way it’s going now with driver retention is to write it into the contract that if you leave the company within a period, you may be liable to pay back some of the training costs. Mainly to deal with poaching by better paying TOCs. Thankfully not like airlines where you have to stump up the cost of training to be a pilot yourself.

dk1

Veteran Member
The way it’s going now with driver retention is to write it into the contract that if you leave the company within a period, you may be liable to pay back some of the training costs. Mainly to deal with poaching by better paying TOCs. Thankfully not like airlines where you have to stump up the cost of training to be a pilot yourself.
The more I hear about pilot training the more I'm shocked. Even heard that some budget airlines don't even supply trainees with pens. Crikey on t'railway we'd be shocked if we didn't get lunch & constant tea/coffee whilst in the classroom then a phone &/or tablet & a half decent wage whilst training with many getting overtime/Sunday pay too if their instructor does. The sky is certainly not always the limit :lol:

Established Member
The more I hear about pilot training the more I'm shocked. Even heard that some budget airlines don't even supply trainees with pens. Crikey on t'railway we'd be shocked if we didn't get lunch & constant tea/coffee whilst in the classroom then a phone &/or tablet & a half decent wage whilst training with many getting overtime/Sunday pay too if their instructor does. The sky is certainly not always the limit :lol:
I would change that to the sky tests your limits! ;):lol:

Definitely interesting to see the recruitment process has kicked off and seeing effectively a new company (or division) start up again, the first we have had in a few years.

Bezza49

Over on WNXX, the news page suggests Class 90's hired from DB are lined up for this, rather than 91's.

I'm happy either way, loco-hauled - and Class 90's return to WCML. Although a pity the novelty won't happen with the 91's, I think logically 90's are a better choice.

sprunt

I don't know if there's an answer, other than forcing staff to pay for their own training (like some airlines) or introducing a transfer market (like football clubs)... neither of which are entirely serious suggestions. Interesting question though.

Isn't there/wasn't there a plan to centralise training? I'm sure I've seen mention of that on here.

pt_mad

Established Member
Over on WNXX, the news page suggests Class 90's hired from DB are lined up for this, rather than 91's.

I'm happy either way, loco-hauled - and Class 90's return to WCML. Although a pity the novelty won't happen with the 91's, I think logically 90's are a better choice.
Is it a rumour or is there a source over there?
So could be 90s and mk4s and a MK4 DVT? That is kind of novel. Perhaps that would be faster to introduce because 90s are already cleared?

pt_mad

Established Member
Would they be likely to brand class 90s as Grand Central or would they remain in their freight livery? Could imagine they'd look nice all black.

Entertexthere

Would they be likely to brand class 90s as Grand Central or would they remain in their freight livery? Could imagine they'd look nice all black.
I would like to hope so- if they're off lease from Greater Anglia (Which will probably be most likely) then it probably will be so. Unless they hire them out from DB cargo or Freightliner

pt_mad

Established Member

xotGD

Established Member
91s for the scrap yard then.

I'm still hoping for 90048/9 to put in an appearance.

apinnard

91s for the scrap yard then.

I'm still hoping for 90048/9 to put in an appearance.

90's have far superior acceleration to 91's, albeit a lower top speed. When I used to work for the ROSCO that owns the IC225 sets, it was well known that they had fallen out of love with the 91's and only really thought there was use for the MK4 coaches post-ECML use. They pretty much accepted as long ago as 2013 that the MK4s would outlive the 91's.

I sat in a company briefing with the then almost retired Head of Engineering, who's opening comment was, amongst other things: "They had design flaws. Such as; ejecting cardan shafts at speed."

Ianno87

Veteran Member
90's have far superior acceleration to 91's, albeit a lower top speed. When I used to work for the ROSCO that owns the IC225 sets, it was well known that they had fallen out of love with the 91's and only really thought there was use for the MK4 coaches post-ECML use. They pretty much accepted as long ago as 2013 that the MK4s would outlive the 91's.

I sat in a company briefing with the then almost retired Head of Engineering, who's opening comment was, amongst other things: "They had design flaws. Such as; ejecting cardan shafts at speed."

Worth noting that the higher top speed of 91s will be of little use on the WCML, with few non-EPS speeds exceeding 110mph or so. 90s would make more sense.

driver_m

Established Member
Worth noting that the higher top speed of 91s will be of little use on the WCML, with few non-EPS speeds exceeding 110mph or so. 90s would make more sense.

What’s the build quality like on a 91 though? 90’s deservedly had a bad reputation in their early days, and I remember one of my first solo trips in a 90 getting a good soaking from the leaky roof.

Polarbear

Established Member
I also think 90’s would be a better choice for this service. The top speed will be limited to 110mph so the speed differential of a 91 will be wasted. Also, 90’s accelerate faster than 91’s.

Added to that is that there are more 90’s than 91’s, albeit some haven’t worked for a while-but more spares parts available (they ain’t as youthful as they used to be).

pt_mad

Established Member
Came across this on youtube.
Not my video.

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Only the Mk4s really, the WCML was very much the 90s stamping ground.

Afaik there are no non-EPS speeds exceeding 110mph on the WCML.

Odd ones do exist - between Wolverhampton and Stafford I recall (if you count that as "WCML")

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Odd ones do exist - between Wolverhampton and Stafford I recall (if you count that as "WCML")

I suppose in a sense, I mean it would be like counting the lines out to Birmingham/Liverpool/Manchester as WCML, arguably they are a branch of that bit still...

In any case, what is the limit between Wolverhampton and Stafford then - 125?

On Moderation
The 125 Group hope to get her operational again at some point.........
Well she could provide cover for 91s and the like......

I admit it, I just really like her and want to see her back in service
Why would 125 Group have anything to do with 89001?!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Never mind, I've found out its 90/MU 125/EPS 125. So anything from a Voyager to a Pendolino, to an HST can do 125 on that section.

As I read it, that limits LHCS to 90mph.
HST would allow 91+Mk4 (but apparently not 90+Mk4).
The 125 section is actually 10 miles of almost dead straight track (slight curve round Penkridge).
90 was the PSR before any of the WCRM upgrades.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Why would 125 Group have anything to do with 89001?!
Apologies, I got mixed up between the 125 group and the AC Group.

Probably because it is one of the only two classes of 125mph AC locomotives!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
As I read it, that limits LHCS to 90mph.
HST would allow 91+Mk4 (but apparently not 90+Mk4).
The 125 section is actually 10 miles of almost dead straight track (slight curve round Penkridge).
90 was the PSR before any of the WCRM upgrades.

Yes, I don't fully understand why am HST can run at MU and HST speeds but an InterCity 225 only at the latter.

As for 90+Mk4s not being allowed to use HST speeds could it be because 90s are rheostatic and tread brakes while 91s I believe have discs?

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Yes, I don't fully understand why am HST can run at MU and HST speeds but an InterCity 225 only at the latter.

As for 90+Mk4s not being allowed to use HST speeds could it be because 90s are rheostatic and tread brakes while 91s I believe have discs?
If memory serves me correctly, 91s have lighter axle leadings so when bolted onto 225 stock will not hammer the track as much as a 90 would when screaming along on the back...

Status
Not open for further replies.