• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alpen-Sylt night trains begin operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adlington

RDC Germany successfully operated the inaugural Sylt – Salzburg Alpen-Sylt overnight train on July 5, carrying 120 passengers.
The train is operating on Thursdays and Saturdays from Westerland/Sylt via Hamburg, Frankfurt/Main and Munich to Salzburg, returning on Fridays and Sundays. The train comprises 10-11 coaches and is offering journeys times of 16-19 hours.
Sylt is an island in northern Germany (Schleswig-Holstein), known for its tourist resorts as well as for its 40-kilometre-long sandy beach.

Back to railway matters: last year (or was it two years ago?) another independent Geman rail operator tried running a (daytime) long-distance service and went out of business pretty soon. I wonder how this one will fare.

Source

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamesrob637

Established Member
An der Nordseeküste, am plattdeutschen Strand
Sind die Fische im Wasser, und selten am Land.

That neck of the woods? Haven't really done Norddeutschland very much if I'm honest.

Veteran Member
Sylt is an island in northern Germany (Schleswig-Holstein), known for its tourist resorts as well as for its 40-kilometre-long sandy beach.

Back to railway matters: last year (or was it two years ago?) another independent Geman rail operator tried running a (daytime) long-distance service and went out of business pretty soon. I wonder how this one will fare.

Source
Rather a clever choice of route, with tourist destinations at both ends (though I don't think Sylt in winter will be quite as overrun).

IIRC there have been at least two open-access operators - the first one (I forget the name) failed, then Flixtrain started up, shut down during Covid, and is about to resume operations. But these were day trains.

Established Member
The other open access service you're thinking of was a joint venture between HKX (Hamburg-Köln-Express) and NOB (Nord-Ostsee-Bahn, the former franchised operator of Hamburg - Westerland regional trains). Saw it at Düsseldorf once and it was very strange, the rake was comprised of both NOB's Bombardier Married Pair coaches and HKX's assorted old hire-ins!

On Moderation
The other open access service you're thinking of was a joint venture between HKX (Hamburg-Köln-Express) and NOB (Nord-Ostsee-Bahn, the former franchised operator of Hamburg - Westerland regional trains). Saw it at Düsseldorf once and it was very strange, the rake was comprised of both NOB's Bombardier Married Pair coaches and HKX's assorted old hire-ins!
That service, and the Locomore one between Berlin and Stuttgart, was taken over by Flix.

EAD

DB used to thin out its sleeper routes in November - the quietest time of the year.
Used to be a good time to travel as you would often get a compartment to yourself if booked e.g. as a Double sleeper.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Used to be a good time to travel as you would often get a compartment to yourself if booked e.g. as a Double sleeper.

It's a long time since I've used a DB night train, but on a couple of occasions by going midweek I got a couchette compartment to myself. Booking a 4 rather than a 6 was said to make this more likely as most people don't want those.

Status
Not open for further replies.