• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ALR question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pauldubs

If an elderly person (over 60) went to a booking office to buy an ALR is the booking clerk obliged to recommend that they purchase a Senor Railcard first in order to reduce the cost?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Probably not obliged to, and how would they know they're over 60? (unless they were significantly over 60)

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
The obligation to offer the cheapest fare would not apply if the person asked for an ALR as this is a specific request, however, the clerk, imo, should ask if the person has a railcard which may lead to a railcard being sold.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
On a similar vein, but a separate situation. If a passenger boards a train (from an unstaffed station) and asks for a return ticket and there happens to be an age restricted product (e.g. Club 55) that would fulfil their needs should the conductor offer it if the passenger has not specifically requested it?

I was always brought up NOT to ask a lady her age!

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
On a similar vein, but a separate situation. If a passenger boards a train (from an unstaffed station) and asks for a return ticket and there happens to be an age restricted product

Slightly different, but I often hear Duo tickets being suggested when passengers are buying onboard.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
On a similar vein, but a separate situation. If a passenger boards a train (from an unstaffed station) and asks for a return ticket and there happens to be an age restricted product (e.g. Club 55) that would fulfil their needs should the conductor offer it if the passenger has not specifically requested it?

I was always brought up NOT to ask a lady her age!

There is a difference here, club 55 is a fare in it's own right, not a discount or a railcard. If it is the cheapest fare valid for the journey being made, it should be offered (unless a fare has been specifically asked for).

The only way to know if it is the cheapest fare is to ask the passenger their age, ideally explaining, after receiving the answer, that an age specific fare could have been available if they were of the appropriate age.

Established Member
Slightly different, but I often hear Duo tickets being suggested when passengers are buying onboard.

Northern guards are normally very good with this, although I don't think it makes any difference ORCATS-wise.

mirodo

Northern guards are normally very good with this, although I don't think it makes any difference ORCATS-wise.

Slightly off-topic, as it's not National Rail, but everytime I've been on the Sheffield Supertram and someone's asked for a single, the ticket seller points out it's cheaper to buy a day ticket if they're making another journey that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.