• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alstom enter talks with Siemens over rail merger

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexNL

Established Member
Alstom + Bombardier would run into concerns similar to Siemens + Bombardier, me thinks. While Bombardier's share of the high speed market is smaller than Alstom's or Siemens, they have a big share of the commuter and intercity market and are a major player in the signalling and interlocking market.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TRAX

Established Member
And this would've ended up in a rolling stock monopoly in France.

whhistle

On Moderation
Or was that more fake stuff from the Brexit camp to excuse their jingoism?
It's been said long before Brexit.
Not everything can be linked or traced to Brexit.
Not sure why those who voted remain try and put a dig in where possible, what it brings to the conversation, nor what the person who said it is trying to say.
People who are deeply remain have been stamping their feet for two years. It's boring now.

I'm a bit surprised this sort of thing can happen.
If I have a private company and I want to merge with another, surely that's a private matter - nothing for governments to get involved with? Yes, I get it stops companies becoming too big but with the likes of Apple, Google, Sky and Amazon, I think it's a bit too late for that.

The EU forces Microsoft to split Media Player (?) and Internet Explorer (?) from their OS because "it wasn't fair", but I don't see this happening with companies like Facebook, who can gobble up as many messaging systems as they want.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Other than the Bombardier trains SNCF buy....

I think that's what TRAX meant - if Alstom and Bombardier merged, there would be an effective monopoly in France.
Though SNCF could buy "foreign" (Siemens, CAF, Hitachi etc), they don't.

On Moderation
I think that's what TRAX meant - if Alstom and Bombardier merged, there would be an effective monopoly in France.
Ah right, I see what is meant now. It would help if TRAX had quoted the post about an Almost/Bombardier tie-up, especially in the context of this thread’s main topic.

TRAX

Established Member
Yup, that’s what I meant, sorry about the confusion. I though it would’ve been clear enough as the message I was replying to was just on top of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.