• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alterations through Leicester 16/5

Status
Not open for further replies.

howittpie

Plenty of time table changes through Leicester this evening with additional trains and stops due to the Leicester City parade.
These are the EMT ones
1615 London St Pancras International to Nottingham (arrives Leicester 1724)
This train will call additionally at Kettering at 1703.
1626 London St Pancras International to Sheffield (arrives Leicester 1729)
This train will call additionally at Market Harborough at 1719.
1720 Loughborough to Leicester
This train is an additional service, and will call at Barrow upon Soar, Sileby and Syston.
1822 Loughborough to Leicester
This train is an additional service, and will call at Barrow upon Soar, Sileby and Syston.
1915 London St Pancras International to Nottingham (departs Leicester 2023)
This train will call additionally at Loughborough at 2034.
1929 Sheffield to London St Pancras International (departs Leicester 2024)
This train will call additionally at Kettering at 2044.
1932 Nottingham to London St Pancras International (departs Leicester 2000)
This train will call additionally at Kettering at 2025.
1955 London St Pancras International to Leeds (departs Leicester 2102)
This train will call additionally at Loughborough at 2114 and East Midlands Parkway at 2122.
2049 Sheffield to London St Pancras International (departs Leicester 2152)
This train will call additionally at Market Harborough at 2206 and Kettering at 2216.
2050 Leicester to Loughborough
This train is an additional service, and will also call at Syston, Sileby and Barrow upon Soar.
2055 London St Pancras International to Sheffield (departs Leicester 2201)
This train will call additionally at Loughborough at 2211 and East Midlands Parkway at 2217.
2121 Leicester to Kettering
This train is an additional service, and will call at Market Harborough at 2137 and Kettering at 2151.
2147 Leicester to Loughborough
This train is an additional service, and will also call at Syston, Sileby and Barrow upon Soar.
2225 Leicester to Loughborough
2239 Leicester to Derby
This train is an additional service, and will call at Loughborough at 2249, East Midlands Parkway at 2256 and Derby at 2309.
2254 Leicester to Nottingham
This train is an additional service, and will also call at Syston, Sileby, Barrow upon Soar, Loughborough and East MidlandsParkway.

I also believe Cross Country are running some extra services to Nuneaton and Birmingham. There is also going to be a queueing system in place. Well done to the TOC'S for doing this at quite short notice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Plenty of time table changes through Leicester this evening with additional trains and stops due to the Leicester City parade.
These are the EMT ones
1615 London St Pancras International to Nottingham (arrives Leicester 1724)
This train will call additionally at Kettering at 1703.
1626 London St Pancras International to Sheffield (arrives Leicester 1729)
This train will call additionally at Market Harborough at 1719.
1720 Loughborough to Leicester
1822 Loughborough to Leicester
1915 London St Pancras International to Nottingham (departs Leicester 2023)
This train will call additionally at Loughborough at 2034.
1929 Sheffield to London St Pancras International (departs Leicester 2024)
This train will call additionally at Kettering at 2044.
1932 Nottingham to London St Pancras International (departs Leicester 2000)
This train will call additionally at Kettering at 2025.
1955 London St Pancras International to Leeds (departs Leicester 2102)
This train will call additionally at Loughborough at 2114 and East Midlands Parkway at 2122.
2049 Sheffield to London St Pancras International (departs Leicester 2152)
This train will call additionally at Market Harborough at 2206 and Kettering at 2216.
2050 Leicester to Loughborough
2055 London St Pancras International to Sheffield (departs Leicester 2201)
This train will call additionally at Loughborough at 2211 and East Midlands Parkway at 2217.
2121 Leicester to Kettering
This train is an additional service, and will call at Market Harborough at 2137 and Kettering at 2151.
2147 Leicester to Loughborough
2225 Leicester to Loughborough
2239 Leicester to Derby
This train is an additional service, and will call at Loughborough at 2249, East Midlands Parkway at 2256 and Derby at 2309.
2254 Leicester to Nottingham
This train is an additional service, and will also call at Syston, Sileby, Barrow upon Soar, Loughborough and East MidlandsParkway.

I also believe Cross Country are running some extra services to Nuneaton and Birmingham. There is also going to be a queueing system in place. Well done to the TOC'S for doing this at quite short notice.

Yes. Good show. Many other TOCs wouldn't have done anything for such an event.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes. Good show. Many other TOCs wouldn't have done anything for such an event.

Agreed - some TOC's would just trot out excuses about alterations needing to be planned "months in advance" etc. Goes to show however that it can be done.

38Cto15E

I'm impressed, I just hope that EMT etc do not get flamed on social media if demand exceeds capacity, just remember this is the first time in 132 years this has happened. :)

LowLevel

Established Member
Just about all class 222 departures from St Pancras between the 1915 and 2130 also now calling additionally at Syston, Sileby and Barrow on Soar - 7 trains in all.

howittpie

Just got of the 19.15 St Pancras to Nottingham was cosy from Leicester. Think the whole of Syston was on it from the amount that got off.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Excellent work by the train operators - Stagecoach and Arriva (both of whom also operate buses in the Leicester area).

Class 170101

Established Member
I doubt the buses went anyway given the number of people in th roads etc judging by the TV pictures.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I doubt the buses went anyway given the number of people in th roads etc judging by the TV pictures.

As far as I'm aware, all of the buses ran normally, albeit some were delayed by the crowds and some road closures. Extra buses were also operated.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Interesting to see that most didn't call at Coleshill. Under a standard timetable, every train calls at Coleshill Parkway which is a bit overkill.
Thanks,
Ross

David Goddard

Established Member
HOWEVER- what also happened was that the 1636 Derby to St Pancras (1P69 via Melton Mowbray and Corby) was commandeered two minutes before departure to be diverted via Leicester, calling additionally at Barrow upon Soar, Sileby and Syston.

This meant that the service train did not call at Melton, Oakham or Corby, much to the disappointment of myself and two others who were on the train purposely for the Harringworth route!

The train, four car Meridian 222102, filled up at Barrow and Sileby, with only some of the hoards at Syston managing to board before it pulled away very slowly for the sake of the safety of those left on the platform. After disgorging its load at Leicester, the set continued to Kettering to pick up its scheduled path to London, which was further delayed by the late arrival of 1C67, with which it makes a double connection at Kettering.

Noted that RTT shows that the 1822 additional service (2L94) only operated from Syston, not serving Loughborough, Barrow or Sileby.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Noted that RTT shows that the 1822 additional service (2L94) only operated from Syston, not serving Loughborough, Barrow or Sileby.
The first extra trip (2L92) departed Sileby full and standing, and on arrival at Syston left so many behind that the unit ran straight back ECS to pick up passengers from Syston only.

Established Member
Interesting to see that most didn't call at Coleshill. Under a standard timetable, every train calls at Coleshill Parkway which is a bit overkill.
Thanks,
Ross

Don't see the need for additional services to call at Coleshill anyway, the extra capacity was needed at the Leicester end.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
EMT &XC seem to have moved quickly to respond to this event and shift loads of extra people and in a flexible fashion. Good for them. There was loads of extra information on twitter which was good to see.

HOWEVER- what also happened was that the 1636 Derby to St Pancras (1P69 via Melton Mowbray and Corby) was commandeered two minutes before departure to be diverted via Leicester, calling additionally at Barrow upon Soar, Sileby and Syston.

This meant that the service train did not call at Melton, Oakham or Corby, much to the disappointment of myself and two others who were on the train purposely for the Harringworth route!

The train, four car Meridian 222102, filled up at Barrow and Sileby, with only some of the hoards at Syston managing to board before it pulled away very slowly for the sake of the safety of those left on the platform. After disgorging its load at Leicester, the set continued to Kettering to pick up its scheduled path to London, which was further delayed by the late arrival of 1C67, with which it makes a double connection at Kettering.

Are you suggesting that is a bad thing? Surely the needs of the many must outweigh the desires of the few.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Are you suggesting that is a bad thing? Surely the needs of the many must outweigh the desires of the few.
Indeed - that exemplifies an excellent bit of quick thinking from EMT in response to conditions "on the ground" in my opinion.

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
As a basher that would have been anoying but as a rail user in general good move. At the time that train departed the extras had started and I assume all stations would have had some kind of staff presence, for croud controll if nothing else as well as I assume booking offices and/or roving foalk with handhelds to sell tickets?
These staff were no doubt in touch with controll who will have made the decision based on conditions. All in all good on all concerned. Wonder if they managed to get plenty city fans for the extra duties?

sprinterguy

Established Member
As a basher that would have been anoying but as a rail user in general good move. At the time that train departed the extras had started and I assume all stations would have had some kind of staff presence, for croud controll if nothing else as well as I assume booking offices and/or roving foalk with handhelds to sell tickets?
Stations that were supposed to be unstaffed at that time of day remained unstaffed with no extra staff on the ground as far as I am aware. Intelligence on crowding levels at stations appear to have been gleaned from members of the public using Help Points, tweets to Twitter and reports from traincrew working the trains involved.

It is pleasing to see how both EMT and XC were able to rise to the occasion in providing additional and strengthened stops though. While some of us might hanker after the days where it would be possible to chuck out a couple of lengthy rakes of tatty mark 1s to meet demand, EMT and XC both seem to have achieved as much as could possibly be expected within the tight restrictions of a modern rolling stock fleet with minimal fleet contingency.

Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
To be fair to XC considering their fleet is at best stretched anyway due to the way their franchise was set up they deserve some praise for achieving anything at short notice - I understand they utilised a Voyager etc.

Doing so on a weekday evening is even more challenging for any operator with the normal evening peak on other parts of their network.

Rich McLean

Established Member
To be fair to XC considering their fleet is at best stretched anyway due to the way their franchise was set up they deserve some praise for achieving anything at short notice - I understand they utilised a Voyager etc.

Doing so on a weekday evening is even more challenging for any operator with the normal evening peak on other parts of their network.

The New Street hot spare's were pressed into action I understand, which in practice is rare for strengthening purposes

TheBigD

Established Member
The 1927 Stansted-Birmingahm was strengthened to 6 cars (2 x 3 car 170)... A number of other XC services were strengthened as well (3 car vice 2 car, 4 car vice 2 car etc etc)...

ivanhoe

The railway at its best. Congratulations to EMT and XCountry and of course their staff.

Class 170101

Established Member
I wonder if the four HSTs were in use on XC to release Voyagers for duties around Leicester?

westcoaster

Established Member
Does anyone know what stock was used on the extra to kettering, wondering if it was anything other than a 222 or hst.

TheBigD

Established Member
Does anyone know what stock was used on the extra to kettering, wondering if it was anything other than a 222 or hst.

222/4car + 222/5 car... Utilised the stock off the 1730 St Pancras-Nottingham...

Robertj21a

On Moderation
A truly excellent response at, relatively, short notice by both XC and EMT. Shows others that it can be done if the desire is there.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I wonder if the four HSTs were in use on XC to release Voyagers for duties around Leicester?
No, just the usual two diagrams. The additional Leicester services only required one Voyager (although the 17:39 Birmingham - Derby also operated as a Voyager instead of the usual 170).

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Reported that there will be extra trains put on again tonight around Leicester in connection with a Kasabian concert there, running up to/after midnight I believe.

If nothing else that suggests to me that there must be fairly good staff relations at both EMT and XC if they can achieve this on a Bank Holiday Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.