• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alterations to Oyster auto Top-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Received an email from TfL this moring stating that as from 17th November, those using auto top-up will be automatically topped up if their balance goes below £20 (up from the present £10).

There is a link in the email inviting people to click on it for the updated T&Cs, but I clicked on it and it doesn't actually appear that they've updated their T&Cs....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikey C

Established Member
Received an email from TfL this moring stating that as from 17th November, those using auto top-up will be automatically topped up if their balance goes below £20 (up from the present £10).

There is a link in the email inviting people to click on it for the updated T&Cs, but I clicked on it and it doesn't actually appear that they've updated their T&Cs....

A sneaky trick to improve TfL's cash flow! Or do they have to keep Oyster balances separate?

rebmcr

Established Member
A sneaky trick to improve TfL's cash flow! Or do they have to keep Oyster balances separate?

As far as I'm aware, the liability of all the potential Oyster deposit refunds 'out there' are worse for TfL's accounting than the bonus of holding the balances. I'm not sure this additional balance increase would make much difference.

Last edited:

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The link is embarassing, even to me as I missed it when clicking through to it. :oops:

The current threshold causes problems at gatelines where the entry threshold is higher than £10. This is currently Hex at Paddington, Gatex at Victoria and Gatwick in the peaks. The new threshold resolves the Gatwick ones.

I think the main reasons for the changes are to reduce fraud and the costs associated with claiming failed collections. The topup happens at the gate and can be used as soon as the previous balance is used up. This makes it much harder to use the £15/£35 above the card deposit before the card is stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.