• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Altercation on Hucknall train

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
I'm not suggesting that its right that people swear but its not hard to see why people do it in certain situations.

Which is why the passenger believed that the guard was a "Hero" Sadly there is the negative repercussions from such incidents and they are far more reaching than the guards job.

It is certainly understandable but is in no way acceptable.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Think about how you would feel as a police officer if you told someone to go home for their own well being and safety after night of heavy drinking and their reply was "don't tell me what to do you stupid Paki bitch".

That's a bit of an extreme and somewhat irrelevant example, and seems to be written to suggest that anyone sworn at by a police officer is definitely in the wrong, or being extremely abusive themselves.

But I assume from what you've written that in some circumstances you deem it okay for police officers to be rude and abusive towards people. So that gives some clarification at least.

On that basis, to keep on topic, that presumably means it's hardly a big deal if members of the public do it.

In all fairness you should have made a complaint and given that you appear to have some knowledge of the police and their procedures I'm surprised that you didn't.

I should have, yes. However, I was intimidated and decided not to. Said officer had said he'd arrest me and was right up in my face to 'go away'. I know he wouldn't have been able to arrest me for offering to help witness an accident, but if he did, and his colleague played along then who knows what grief I'd have had?

I wouldn't walk away now, for what it's worth.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Were you 'jumping the queue'? On the western side of Northern's network, the general attitude is that you wait for the guard to come to you if you've boarded at an unstaffed station.

Nope, on the East side its slightly different. If the guard hasn't come to you, you go to them.

Antman

Established Member
That's a bit of an extreme and somewhat irrelevant example, and seems to be written to suggest that anyone sworn at by a police officer is definitely in the wrong, or being extremely abusive themselves.

But I assume from what you've written that in some circumstances you deem it okay for police officers to be rude and abusive towards people. So that gives some clarification at least.

On that basis, to keep on topic, that presumably means it's hardly a big deal if members of the public do it.

I should have, yes. However, I was intimidated and decided not to. Said officer had said he'd arrest me and was right up in my face to 'go away'. I know he wouldn't have been able to arrest me for offering to help witness an accident, but if he did, and his colleague played along then who knows what grief I'd have had?

I wouldn't walk away now, for what it's worth.

I have family and friends in various positions within the police and I cannot imagine any force would tolerate the sort of behaviour that you have described. Obviously if you report it to the relevant force they will investigate it and take disciplinary action if appropriate.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I despise the people who film events like this just as much as the guy not buying a ticket. The guard's going to have potentially the end of his career over something the understandably most people would get angry at, all because somebody wanted to upload it to youtube and have their 5 minutes of fame.

Lets get real, nearly everybody has a phone with a camera nowadays.

RichmondCommu

Established Member

Do you consider it to be irrelevant and extreme because you would prefer to bury your head in the sand and ignore the fact that police officers are racially abused and are expected to take it on the chin? Are you suggesting that racial abuse is irrelevant if its directed towards a police officer?

If people are leaving licensed premises and the police are in attendance, under what circumstances are you suggesting that the police would swear at members of the public unless they were under extreme provocation.

Despite being the ripe old age of 48 (49 later this year) I still visit pubs and gig venues and yet I cannot recall a time when police officers have randomly sworn at passes by for no obvious reason. However I have witnessed many examples of the police breaking up fights and telling people to go home / step away from certain situations for their own good. Would you rather that they didn't do that?

Whilst I consider the use of swear words to be vulgar I'm not so sanctimonious to understand that in the case of extreme provocation they might be used. On the basis of what you've typed I assume that you think it’s perfectly fine for members of public to act in a highly provocative manner to the police and not to expect an angry response.

Given that it was yourself that brought up the subject of the police swearing whilst on duty, I would suggest that it was yourself that strayed off topic.

Last edited:

tony6499

So easy to lose it with someone like that especially if you've been having a bad day or if you have had strife with them before.

Trouble is now that everything is filmed and on Twitter, Facebook or Youtube in a blink of the eye.

It's a shame that his colleague didn't intervene and pull him out of the way but I'm sure he will be in a spot of bother for his behaviour as he would be taught not to get in the way of conflict as well as losing his cool and the unprofessional behaviour.

The days of sorting things out by yourself are long gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.