• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alternate Routes to the Norm Involving one TOC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
But those are using multiple operators, surely? This thread is about using one operator
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Yes, that was the general idea with the possibility of train companies coming up with a cheaper fare to use their services as per London -Stoke EMT only. As it stands I have got some reasonable Longton to London fares but making it Stoke instead kind of kills them off. If there were a Stoke-London EMT only fare then it may increase competition and negate the need for Stoke to London via EMT (and maybe a few others) requiring a split (as per Stoke-Longton and Longton-St.Pancras).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
But those are using multiple operators, surely? This thread is about using one operator

Sorry; for the Bletchley - Bedford idea I was getting ahead of myself and thinking how it will be when SN & TL routes are run by the same TOC (having read a fair few things about it recently)... but for the Hayes & Harlington - Reading idea, I just thought it would be interesting to consider.

You may say I am making excuses, as some would say I hadn't read the thread title properly! :P

Ivo

Established Member
St Pancras to London Bridge with SE <D

(And before anyone suggests SE services via the Snow Hill Tunnel, remember those are officially FCC services until they hit City Thameslink!)

Eagle

Established Member
(And before anyone suggests SE services via the Snow Hill Tunnel, remember those are officially FCC services until they hit City Thameslink!)

Also that there are no SE services between Blackfriars and London Bridge anyway; you'd have to go at least as far as Lewisham to get between those two.

Lrd

Established Member
Southampton to Guildford with XC.
Ashford International to Tonbridge with Southern.

Welshman

Established Member
It's not quicker than via Frodsham by the time you need to change at Crewe, unless you're referring to the fact via Frodsham is only hourly, so if you've missed a train then it's quicker via Crewe than waiting for the next direct service.

And if you ensure you use Virgin Trains from North-Wales/Chester-Crewe to Manchester, it's a way to travel 1st Class, should you wish to[and also perhaps get free refreshments]

LE Greys

Established Member
Peterborough-London with GA
Southampton-Basingstoke with FGW
Carlisle-Carstairs with Scotrail (unless I'm very much mistaken)
Mallaig-Kyle of Lochalsh with Scotrail - gets an Honourable Mention because the usual ferry or bus routes are one quarter of the duration

causton

Established Member
Apologies if any of these are repeats!

Peterborough - Cambridge with FCC
West Croydon - Clapham Junction with London Overground (slightly more feasible in December, but definitely not now!)
Along the same lines, Richmond - Clapham Junction

Stratford - Barking with London Overground (assuming DLR counts!)
Kensington (Olympia) - Victoria with Southern (assume LU counts - or rather, LO/LU via West Brompton these days)
Walthamstow Central - Tottenham Hale / Tottenham Hale - Seven Sisters / Walthamstow Central - Seven Sisters via Greater Anglia

And on a slightly different tangent:
Euston - Watford Junction with London Overground ;)

Ivo

Established Member
The idea is to do it with only one TOC (and suggesting you have only one TOC because SNCF/SNCB/P&O don't count isn't really fair) ;)

Another one for people to ponder over (which is admittedly shorter than the average): Coventry to Nuneaton with XC.

Or how about Birmingham New Street to Birmingham Moor Street with LM (as opposed to walking :lol:)?

tbtc

Veteran Member
Another one for people to ponder over (which is admittedly shorter than the average): Coventry to Nuneaton with XC.

Also Tamworth - Nuneaton and Nottingham - Leicester.

How about historic TOCs?

Under Central Trains you could have done Doncaster - Sheffield (via Lincoln, Newark, Nottingham and Chesterfield).

SS4

Established Member
Or how about Birmingham New Street to Birmingham Moor Street with LM (as opposed to walking :lol:)?

You'd probably cover more distance walking between platforms at Smethwick GB than you would walking from BHM-BMO :lol:

LE Greys

Established Member
Also Tamworth - Nuneaton and Nottingham - Leicester.

How about historic TOCs?

Under Central Trains you could have done Doncaster - Sheffield (via Lincoln, Newark, Nottingham and Chesterfield).

Equally, Manchester-Piccadilly-Nuneaton (or Birmingham) via Sheffield and Leicester

Eagle

Established Member
Equally, Manchester-Piccadilly-Nuneaton (or Birmingham) via Sheffield and Leicester

Manchester to Birmingham with Wales and West (via Newport is the shortest possible).

Southampton to Portsmouth with VXC (via Reading). Or indeed Euston to Paddington (via Coventry).

Bidston to Liverpool with FNW (via Shotton and Earlestown).

Liverpool to Blackpool with ATN (via Hebden Bridge), or Preston to Lancaster (via Bradford).

LE Greys

Established Member
The singularly curious Manchester-London via Bristol service from Wales & West
Equally, you might have York-Waterloo via a tour round the NLL and WLL, but that was under BR, so only gets an Honourable Mention.

Eagle

Established Member
Equally, you might have York-Waterloo via a tour round the NLL and WLL, but that was under BR, so only gets an Honourable Mention.

Although Virgin also trialled a few services from northern England and Scotland to Waterloo (mainly by diverting Paddington services, via Richmond I believe).

Ivo

Established Member
Which they made into a through service, that survived until 2010 (when it was realized that using 2-car 170s on GEML services was a bit of a waste).

Under NXEA I believe? I'm sure the one time I saw this it was 3-car :lol: (Unless that was a Lowestoft service, of course.)

But yes, it most certainly was a waste. At least the Lowestoft route had potential, even if the stock was wholly inadequate south of Ipswich.

Status
Not open for further replies.