• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alternative arrangements when a train is cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

racklam

I had an advance on the 19:18 Grand Central from King's Cross to York last Friday, and the train was cancelled. I was told by VTEC staff that my ticket was valid on the 19:33 to Leeds as far as Doncaster, where I had to change onto a Crosscountry service onwards to York.

When I asked why I couldn't simply get the 19:30 VTEC to Edinburgh directly to York, I was told that validity had only been agreed with Grand Central for the 19:30.

It didn't bother me too much, but I'm just curious as to how things work in this situation - presumably Grand Central would have to pay VTEC and Crosscountry (especially as the Crosscountry service additionally stopped at Thirsk)? Would the 19:30 be more 'expensive' than the 19:33?

Finally, I don't think I'm entitled to any refund as the cancellation only delayed me by 28 minutes, but could somebody confirm this is the case?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The 1930 on a Friday is the last train through to Edinburgh, and is very very busy, so I can understand why VTEC would not accept GC tickets on it. GC and XC are both owned by Arriva/DB, so there isn't the issue with ticket acceptance there.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
racklam said:
Finally, I don't think I'm entitled to any refund as the cancellation only delayed me by 28 minutes, but could somebody confirm this is the case?

Thanks
That is correct.

On a side note, a refund would be for if you decided not to travel due to the delay and returned your unused ticket. Compensation would address a delay to your journey.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Agreed. No refund as you did travel. No compensation as 28 minutes is well under the 60 minute threshold for delay compensation to apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.