• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alternative Steam Locomotive Fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcmal

Thanks Edwin and WAO..... but I did say Battery hybrid and so the solar panels are not providing all the power required continuously, so that would alter the economics. Also a lot of the heat energy from the firebox is "lost" up the chimney on conventional steam locomotives so again there is an efficiency gain using electrical immersion heating....It may be "green wash" but it may be a route forward if the eco-zealots get more powerful....

I doubt that even if you covered the whole train with solar panels you would get more than 5% of the energy needed to power the motors in the UK. The only thing that helps a bit is that on preserved lines rolling stock often sits around during the week which gives more time to charge. Charging the batteries from a shore supply whenever possible is more likely to be a workable option as is done with some tram routes. I was in Seville recently and saw how the trams there raise the pantograph in the stations to meet the 10 metres of OHL.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Edders23

By immediately scrapping nearly new steam locos and building scores of unreliable diesels.

but of course many of the "unreliable diesels" somehow managed to achieve much higher annual mileages than the kettles they replaced maybe because they weren't as unreliable as many would have us believe

Alternative fuels

petroleum Coke possible a bit more expensive and contains high sulphur

Torrefied biomass - don't produce it in the Uk so might be an expensive import

Biomass briquettes.........quite low energy density so might cause problems raising steam

waste paper/cardboard.....again can be produced as bricks by volunteers in their kitchens potentially not sure if sufficient energy density

hexagon789

Veteran Member
but of course many of the "unreliable diesels" somehow managed to achieve much higher annual mileages than the kettles they replaced maybe because they weren't as unreliable as many would have us believe

I was a bit broad with that, certainly a number of classes proved reliable enough or indeed as reliable as what they replaced and survived in service for many decades.

Some were very underpowered though, Class 40s first instance could be out performed by LNER and LMS pacifics, the ER decided to hold out with steam until the received the Deltics for that very reason, while the LMR introduced the new diesels because the acceleration was better than with steam and that was more important to their services than sustained high-speed running at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.