• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alton Towers incident

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Y

Do you think it's an overreaction to have passing nausea about someone my age being potentially crippled for life through no fault of his own?

If you don't know them, then I'd say yes. You do seem to be rather overreacting.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Antman

Established Member
I must admit to being very surprised the whole park (rather than one ride) is closed, but their other parks (which must surely be built and run to the same kinds of specification and procedures) are not.

On an aside there are perhaps design lessons there for the "crashworthiness" of rides, i.e. to avoid leg injuries as happened here?

I think it might be seen as a bit disrespectful to those who have sustained life changing injuries to just carry on as normal?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think it might be seen as a bit disrespectful to those who have sustained life changing injuries to just carry on as normal?

Rather than, say, to those nearby (e.g. hotels) whose businesses and livelihoods are suffering? Or the zero-hours staff who are losing out by not being paid?

I have never believed in doing things like that "out of respect", as it doesn't actually "respect" anything. It would be more respectful to open the park and put some or all of the profits into a disability charity, say.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Do you think it's an overreaction to have passing nausea about someone my age being potentially crippled for life through no fault of his own?

Unless you think the same every single time you travel by car, yes, it probably is. This, like rail and air crashes, received a huge amount of publicity because it is so unusual. On the same day worldwide, thousands will have died while using road transport.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
And of course, there's absolutely nothing that affects you that other people might not be affected by? :roll:

If I felt nauseous every time someone my age died doing something I'd be permanently nauseous.

Yes, there are things that have affected me that the majority of people on here won't have been affected by, but I wouldn't ask everyone else's opinions about it on a rail forum.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If I felt nauseous every time someone my age died doing something I'd be permanently nauseous.

Yes, there are things that have affected me that the majority of people on here won't have been affected by, but I wouldn't ask everyone else's opinions about it on a rail forum.
Will you give it a rest already? :lol:

I don't "feel nauseous every time someone my age dies". Nor did I "ask everyone else's opinions about it".

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Will you give it a rest already? :lol:
You asked me a question, I felt it would have been rude to ignore you.
I don't "feel nauseous every time someone my age dies". Nor did I "ask everyone else's opinions about it".

My mistake - you post looked like both a question (it was the question mark that confused me), and a statement that you had passing nausea every time someone your age was crippled for life through no fault of their own. Must have misunderstood.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'm with JakeF on this. Why did some people react so strongly to a fairly innocuous remark?
I'm not sure. Perhaps a desire to make other people feel negative about themselves? I couldn't tell you.

Last edited:

Antman

Established Member
Rather than, say, to those nearby (e.g. hotels) whose businesses and livelihoods are suffering? Or the zero-hours staff who are losing out by not being paid?

I have never believed in doing things like that "out of respect", as it doesn't actually "respect" anything. It would be more respectful to open the park and put some or all of the profits into a disability charity, say.

Yes that wouldn't be a bad idea but the idea of the usual jollity and laugher so soon after what's happened probably wouldn't sit very easy with a lot of people

Tommy1581

Surely, if a fault had been found with normal running - then the ride should have been suspended until the fault was rectified?

Also, that the ride has had problems before, and someone mentioned parked cars, something should have been done to have clear emergency access to the roller coasters, if there isn't any space for visitors to park, turn them away.

Anyway, I hope all involved are ok and get better soon.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If you don't want your views and opinions challenged then I'd suggest it's not a good idea to be on a discussion forum.
There's a difference between constructively challenging views and deciding somebody is automatically wrong for a particular event hitting home harder than normal.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
There's a difference between constructively challenging views and deciding somebody is automatically wrong for a particular event hitting home harder than normal.

I'm not sure what you expected when you asked the forum whether they thought it was an overreaction? Yes, I think it is an overreaction, but I don't think I ever said you were wrong. If you don't want the answer, don't ask the question.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm with JakeF on this. Why did some people react so strongly to a fairly innocuous remark?

He asked a question (even if it may have been rhetorical, but I didn't think it was) - some of us felt it appropriate to answer it. He asked was it an overreaction; two of us, it seems, felt that it was.

Last edited:

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'm not sure what you expected when you asked the forum whether they thought it was an overreaction? Yes, I think it is an overreaction, but I don't think I ever said you were wrong.
Well as you can see, opinion is divided. I did perceive your posts as being somewhat more judgemental than necessary.

Antman

Established Member
Surely, if a fault had been found with normal running - then the ride should have been suspended until the fault was rectified?

Also, that the ride has had problems before, and someone mentioned parked cars, something should have been done to have clear emergency access to the roller coasters, if there isn't any space for visitors to park, turn them away.

Anyway, I hope all involved are ok and get better soon.

These rides do develop faults, when I was last at Chessington a ride there was suspended for a while because of a fault but engineers soon rectified it.

It would appear that the accident was caused by human error rather than any fault with the equipment.

Last edited:

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
He asked a question (even if it may have been rhetorical, but I didn't think it was) - some of us felt it appropriate to answer it. He asked was it an overreaction; two of us, it seems, felt that it was.
It was intended as rhetorical but obviously it must have been misinterpreted as a serious question asking for a qualified medical opinion :lol: (It wasn't). I do appreciate that other people have different points of view and there's nothing wrong with that. :)

Darandio

Established Member
It also appears that the 999 call was not made for 11 minutes..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33011347

Emergency services were not called until 11 minutes after the Alton Towers rollercoaster crash, it has emerged.

Theme park bosses were informed of the accident on Tuesday at 13:57 BST but ambulance crews said the 999 call was not made until 14:08.

Alton Towers said one of its first responders was soon on the scene and security staff would have called 999 as soon as an assessment had been made.

Sixteen people were hurt, four seriously, when the Smiler crashed.

Crews from the West Midlands Ambulance Service arrived on the scene at 14:35 and they called the fire service at 14:41.

Fire crews were not initially requested by Alton Towers but the park's staff did put their own call in requesting their assistance at 14:45, the fire service said.

In a statement, Alton Towers said: "Our community first responders, based on site at Alton Towers, are trained by West Midlands Ambulance Service and form part of our security and medical teams.

"Once the incident occurred, a member of the ride staff would have called our first responders who arrived at the scene within minutes.

"After instant assessment they call our security department who then call 999 straight away."

Antman

Established Member
It has been confirmed that Alton Towers will be closed again tomorrow

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Would be interested to know what they feel is wrong that isn't wrong at Chessington or Thorpe Park.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It was intended as rhetorical but obviously it must have been misinterpreted as a serious question asking for a qualified medical opinion [emoji38] (It wasn't). I do appreciate that other people have different points of view and there's nothing wrong with that. :)
Indeed.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Non-story. The last three paragraphs of your quote explain why.

Pretty poor from the BBC, to be honest.

Disagree, as soon as the ride staff report a crash like that, a call should be made to the emergency services. There shouldn't be a wait for a few advanced first aiders to "assess" the scene.

WestCoast

Established Member
Totally anecdotecal and without justification but the branding and music around the Smiler I found to be overly creepy, indeed that was most likely the aim but it did indeed put me off. It wasn't tasteful. I've been on many rides (I used to live a short drive away from Blackpool Pleasure Beach and went fairly regularly when I was at school). Valhalla, the water ride at the PB, has the best ride branding to build anticipation and excitement, that I've ever seen.

My thoughts with those who are suffering because of it.

Last edited:

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Metro are running a poll in which 53% of people who have responded have said the ride should be dismantled

jon0844

Veteran Member
BBC stating it was a while before the emergency services were called (over ten minutes). They're arguing it wasn't a problem as they have their own trained responders.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Metro are running a poll in which 53% of people who have responded have said the ride should be dismantled

I wonder how they would react if the same question was posed about car accidents, or the considerably less frequent plane or train accidents etc... there would be a lot of dismantling doing on if the Metro and its chocolate teapot polls had anything to do with it

Status
Not open for further replies.