• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alton Towers incident

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExRes

Established Member
I'm told this evening that, in what seems to be an internal enquiry, that this accident was caused solely by human error, while an official H&SE enquiry has not yet reached a conclusion

I would guess that Merlin and their insurers are going to pay heavily for this incident, I would also assume that Merlin and the employee(s) concerned will be facing the courts in due course

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Zoidberg

Established Member
I'm told this evening that, in what seems to be an internal enquiry, that this accident was caused solely by human error ...

The story has been carried by most news outlets this afternoon. The BBC's report is at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34911943

Extract

Human error caused the Alton Towers rollercoaster crash in June that seriously injured five people, the Staffordshire theme park has said.

Two women - Victoria Balch and Leah Washington - had legs amputated after the Smiler ride hit an empty carriage on 2 June.

Staff misunderstood a shutdown message and wrongly restarted the ride, an investigation by the park confirmed.

No technical or mechanical issues were found with the ride itself.

The ride, which has been closed since the crash, will reopen next year with improved safety measures.

Trainfan344

Established Member
I'm told this evening that, in what seems to be an internal enquiry, that this accident was caused solely by human error, while an official H&SE enquiry has not yet reached a conclusion

I would guess that Merlin and their insurers are going to pay heavily for this incident, I would also assume that Merlin and the employee(s) concerned will be facing the courts in due course

From what I understand from a theme park forum, the person involved with the incident is no longer with Merlin.

I'm just waiting for 2016 season to start in March so I can get back on the Rollercoaster!

ExRes

Established Member
A long awaited update on this incident in the Daily Telegraph, I quote :

"The operators of Alton Towers faces a record fine running into millions after it admitted health and safety failings over a rollercoaster crash in which two women lost legs. A court heard that a manual operator "overrode" the ride's governing computer system, leading a carriage full of visitors to smash into a stationary car on the Smiler ride."

"Merlin's £250 million annual turnover means it is likely to face the largest health and safety fine ever given to a UK leisure firm"

No comment, as yet, on any action to be taken against the operator

If Merlin have any relief at all it will be that the computer system was not at fault in any way

Status
Not open for further replies.