• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Always a problem with these late evening TPE trains from Leeds to Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugby

Established Member
Saturday 20th April and I made one of my occasional late night journeys between Leeds and Manchester. I have the choice of the 2325 to Manchester or the 2334 to Man. Airport. Not for the first time, things went wrong.

The 2325 is formed of a portion from Middlesbrough and a portion from Hull. It was booked onto Platform 12 but 12 wasn't available because an EMT HST had terminated there and wasn't going anywhere. The two portions were both about 10 mins late at Marsh Lane but lost a further 6-8 mins between there and Leeds.
The passengers waiting on 12 began to realise that the 2334 would arrive first and began to troop over to Platform 16, actually the 2325 arrived first and came in on 15. Some passengers, seeing 'Manchester' on the front began to run back from 16 to 15 but there was confusion because some didn't realise that the 2325 was only going to Piccadilly, not the Airport.
I decided to get on the 2325 which departed at 2347 but in the meantime the 2334 arrived and departed first at 2345.
Perhaps I made the wrong choice, I thought, but apparently not because, according to RTT, the 2334 arrived in Huddersfield at 0005 and stood there for 26 mins before continuing to Manchester.

A couple of questions for those who may know; the 2325 is shown as two portions which join together at Leeds but this wasn't the case on Saturday, it was a single 185. Do they actually join or are the pax from Hull told to get off and board the portion from Middlesbrough?
Also, does anyone know why the 2334 stood for 26 mins at HUD on Saturday?

Something always seems to go wrong with these two trains, I keep hearing that TPE's problems are being ironed out and that services should run much more smoothly from the May timetable change. Will they really?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PennineSuperb

This is an interesting question.
The portions from Hull & Middlesbrough couple and run infront of the Manchester Airport service at 2325, it calls at Dewsbury and Huddersfield where it is booked to reverse and run via Bradley Wood, Hebden Bridge and the Chord for Manchester Piccadilly terminating on P13/14. This adds a good 40+ mins onto the journey time.
The service runs in the headcode of the portion from Middlesbrough. And is booked a 6 car.
The 2334 is also booked to call at Dewsbury and Huddersfield but then is routed via Diggle, Ashton Moss & the Chord. It also should overtake the 2325 at Huddersfield in its reversal time.
Generally if train crew on the 2325 are the ball they should be telling people that when the train arrives at Huddersfield to transfer to the other service as that is quicker. (Unless you want the track or something.)
I am not sure of the reasons that train stood at Huddersfield for 26 minutes as it is now too late to check the system. However, it is possible that the train was booked via Guide Bridge instead of Ashton Moss & the Chord?

Mugby

Established Member
It appears that the 2325 (2329 M-F) from Leeds to Manchester is routed via Hebden Bridge and Todmorden on Mon - Fri. but not on Saturdays.

Just looking at a couple of sample dates on RTT:
Wed. 24th April. 2329 departed Leeds 11 mins late, 2334 departed Leeds 17 mins late.
Sat. 27th. April, 2325 departed Leeds 13 mins late, 2334 departed Leeds on time but again stood at Huddesrfield for 25 mins. 24 late at Man.

I'm convinced these two trains are jinxed!

Ih8earlies

Where are you getting these times from?

Monday to Friday there are the following.

There's a 23:34 departure from Leeds to Manchester Airport. (Runs via Stalybridge and Ordsall Chord)

There is a 23:40 departure from Leeds to Manchester Picc via Huddersfield and a reversal to head out via Elland. (The 23:40 is formed from the arrival from Middlesbrough and attached to the arrival from Hull.)

The 23:40 arrives into Leeds first. And all going well two units attach and then sits at Leeds (normally platform 16) for a while.

The 23:34 then arrives into 15A.

We normally advise everyone changes at Leeds onto the 23:34.

Status
Not open for further replies.