• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Am I a train snob?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
I only go on certain trains, for example I wont travel on a Southern 455 but get a 377 even if I have to wait longer.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
You might have a bit of a wait for a 337 though, bearing in mind no class of that TOPS number was ever built, or will ever likely be built ;)

As for the question in hand, I agree with SS4.

hluraven

The only time I ever did something like that was in the last months of the CEPs, and even then only on work time!

Established Member
If I have to make a journey on XC (that is unless I can do it using EC and Northern, even if it means a longer journey time), I'll specifically look for the services that are the HST.

On the contrast, I've also been known to wait a while for a 142, in preference over anything else.

Skymonster

Established Member
I'm not familiar with the merits (or otherwise) of a 455 vs a 377, but I pass on 222s (Meridians) and wait for HSTs on the MML when I can - mind you these days I know the timetable well enough to only turn up for HSTs (and occasionally get a nasty surprise when a 222 shows up!)

Andy

Retorus

I generally time my journeys so that I can be reasonably sure I'll get a 365 and not a 317/321...

GodAtum

On Moderation
Sometimes at East Croydon a fast 455 to Victoria comes in so I skip that and get the next 377. I also prefer the FCC 377s over anything else. Shame they are rare!

tsr

Established Member
I'm not familiar with the merits (or otherwise) of a 455 vs a 377, but I pass on 222s (Meridians) and wait for HSTs on the MML when I can - mind you these days I know the timetable well enough to only turn up for HSTs (and occasionally get a nasty surprise when a 222 shows up!)

Andy

Basically, you might not want to get a 455 because on balance the 377 normally has better seating in parts, generally better HVAC (debatable, admittedly), a marginally better ride depending on preference, and a nicer interior ambience (in my opinion). I too don't get 455s by preference but that's for a different reason - I recently cut a large part of one of my fingers, very nearly severing it, in a 455's door, so I have quite bad memories of them!

I'm not overly fussed about Voyagers, although I will always aim for a HST. If I know a TOC is operating similar classes of train but one is a bit more comfortable, I will do my utmost to time my journey to get the maximum comfort (e.g. I will always try to get a 166 over a 165).

Some train classes are too unreliable for them to be a sensible option. I will avoid 442s like the plague if I can use a 460 (supposedly soon to be a 458/5 and no longer on the Southern network at all :( despite their much-needed reliability) or a 377.

As for "snobbery" on other fronts, I am a bit of a "TOC snob" - I will avoid FCC if I have a reasonable alternative. I also avoid the inner reaches of the Central Line on the Tube because I find it is unnecessarily crowded and uncomfortable for many journeys I make.

CC 72100

Established Member
I suppose there perhaps is a bit of 'train snobbery' in all of us. For example, I too will time my journey so that I end up on a HST as opposed to a voyager if using XC to travel home from uni.

But if I turned up at the station with a certain time to travel in mind and not like the look of my train so wait for the next one? No chance!

On reflection then, I'm more of a 'planned train snob'

What does 'HVAC' stand for by the way?

class156

I do things like this regularly, until they were both taken off the Clyde Coast lines if I was coming home from Glasgow I would usually get the 15:45 Glasgow Central - Largs service to Kilwinning (which was almost always a 318) instead of the 16:00 to Ayr (which was almost always a 334). I don't mind 334s too much but 318s are much better in my opinion. Nowadays I don't have much option but to get a 380, good job that I like them!

PR1Berske

Established Member
I suppose this is fine if you have the freedom to wait for X minutes (or hours).

For most folk going about daily commutes, there's no choice but to board the train waiting at the platform.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I suppose there perhaps is a bit of 'train snobbery' in all of us. For example, I too will time my journey so that I end up on a HST as opposed to a voyager if using XC to travel home from uni.

But if I turned up at the station with a certain time to travel in mind and not like the look of my train so wait for the next one? No chance!

On reflection then, I'm more of a 'planned train snob'

I'm similar - if I have the luxury of being able to plan my journey in advance with time to spare then I'd try to coincide with an HST rather than a Voyager on an XC service (though that's mainly because there are more seats) for example.

But I can't remember the last time I've arrived at a station and not taken the next train because it was the wrong type - though most Yorkshire services are so infrequent (e.g. hourly) that it really would be a sacrifice (compared to the short wait you may have on some key corridors in/around London). Plus there's no guarantee that (if you don't want the Pacer to your destination) the next service won't be a Pacer either!

I've certainly stood aside to let buses past because I can see the next one a hundred yards down the road and prefer that type of vehicle (but then that's only slowing my journey down by an extra minute or two, so less hardship).

I guess the question is "if you turned up at the platform and the wrong type of train was there, how long would you consider waiting to get a better one"

Yew

Established Member
I do that too, There are two routes from lincoln to mansfield, via notttingham takes around 2:30 and via worksop takes around 2 hours, but usually is ran by a pacer. I will take a 142 over a EMT 156. But would take a nottingham service operated by a 158. However if a 150 or 153 turns up for the service to worksop, the no matter what, (excepting maybe a meridian) I will take the northern service.

trainophile

Established Member
I would only do Southport-Hereford (or vice versa) via Manchester Piccadilly as a very last resort, even though it is the only route with just one change. Don't know if it's the tracks or the NR pacers but it almost rattles my teeth out!

Coming to something when Merseyrail commuter trains are preferable to ostensibly inter-city Northern Rail ones.

shaun

Fairly normal for anybody who has an interest in railways really, especially those who are more into the travelling side of them. Personally i do it all the time, bar on local lines where there isn't much choice (thankfully my local is a nice LM 172). Anytime i use an IC route, i'll always aim for an HST/Mk3 train or plan my day around one despite the journey or waiting times potentially being much longer. Back when i used to commute on the London Underground, i'd always wait for a Metropolitan Line train over a Circle Line/Hammersmith one despite them both covering the same journey.

Established Member
I try and avoid Class 379s like the plague, I really hate making long journeys on them especially. If end up on one to London I'll usually change at Bishops Stortford onto the Stratford service which is prettymuch a guaranteed 317 (or pair of them), not to mention that's less crowded too.

The 2009 Stock on the Victoria line I also try to avoid, I used the Vic all the time when it had 1967 Stock as they were my favourites, but the new 2009 Stock is awful in my eyes, terrible seats and it's far too hot on them. A mix of the Piccadilly, Bakerloo, Central and Circle lines, and the Lea Valley lines, can usually be used as an alternative route.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I groan when we get a diesel instead of an electric - there's often on my last but one train. It's most annoying as due to the inferior acceleration it struggles to keep to the timetable and often results in me missing a tight connection to my last bus (you could say I should get the one before and I often do - but if I get that I get an even earlier bus).

Whistler40145

Established Member
If I was travelling from Blackpool North to Preston, I prefer to travel on a FTPE 185 than suffer a Northern 142, I would be happy with a Northern 150 or 156, but find the seats rather uncomfortable on 142s & 150s.

In the good old days of InterCity, I would wait at Preston to travel in Mark III stock to Blackpool North instead of a unit. Is that being a snob?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?u4a00v

cjohnson

The 2009 Stock on the Victoria line I also try to avoid, I used the Vic all the time when it had 1967 Stock as they were my favourites, but the new 2009 Stock is awful in my eyes, terrible seats and it's far too hot on them.

Good luck with that, it's been all 09 stock on the Vic for a while. Seats are less comfortable but a) how often do you get seat on the Vic and b) no-one's on the line for that long!

Established Member
Good luck with that, it's been all 09 stock on the Vic for a while. Seats are less comfortable but a) how often do you get seat on the Vic and b) no-one's on the line for that long!

Yeah, it was just over a year ago the last 1967 Stock ran, I was on the last one. I could usually get a seat on the Vic if I went up the other end of the platform to everyone else, although I normally didn't use it in the peaks. The 2009 Stock are fit-for-purpose there's no denying that, but I still don't like them :lol:

londonmidland

Established Member
I actually prefer to get a semi-fast Class 319 to Bedford to a HST or Meridian as I like the thrash from the motors :D

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Slightly different but I will sometimes let a slow train go to wait for a faster one, even if the faster one doesn't overtake. I do hate stopping every few minutes!

Robinson

Not being a fan of the 334s, I always used to do my level best to avoid them. This used to be a lot easier on the North Clyde line to Helensburgh Central than the Argyle line, which I also used frequently. Over time I learned which services were normally 318-operated and made sure I got on them as often as I could.

Now of course, it's all changed; the 318s have been refurbished, the 320s are on the Argyle line and Helensburgh services are nearly all 334s, although hopefully we'll see what refurbishment does for the 334s soon...

Down here in Southampton Central, if I'm travelling to London Waterloo I would normally try to avoid landing a 450 instead of a 444.

Crossover

Established Member
I have been known to let trains pass by to get a following one. Sometimes it is just because an express overtakes the stopper but on the whole, given the choice of TPE or Northern (locally) I will usually aim for TPE.

I did wait at Clapham Junction for 25 mins for a train to London the other week (someone will probably tell me how many hundreds went by in the meantime!) just to get a 458 (which I had never been on before)

Can't really think of any other examples at the moment

rdwarr

This is amazing.
Like most people I have to get to work on time and, when I've finished, I like to get home again ASAP. On a good day it's 365 in and HST home but the comfort of my journey is worth nothing against my job or family. It's under half an hour for me - perhaps that makes a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.