• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Am I standing to close to the track?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
On another forum I have apparently been standing too close to the line at stations when I have been filming. Specifically this video http://rail.mjspencer.com/videos/hatton12thjuly.wmv Apparently when the chiltern units hooted at me it was a warning that I was too close. What do others think?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tramboy

You look far enough away from the edge of the platform to me as that 168 goes through. I'm assuming the camera is on a tripod, and you behind it....in which case you should be fine.

IMO You seem to be far enough away from the edge to me.

Cheers

Dave

jonb

Established Member
After looking at that vid only two drivers hooted at you. For some reason there is no yellow line at that station, there should be but if there is make sure you stand behind it and make sure all your tripod legs are behind it as well.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Tripods are not allowed full stop, they take up too much room, now a Monopod is a different case, no idea about a Duopod or a Quadpod.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Jamie C. Steel said:
Tripods are not allowed full stop, they take up too much room, now a Monopod is a different case, no idea about a Duopod or a Quadpod.

This was at Hatton Station which is un-manned. I used a tripod at Nuneaton a few weeks a go with no problem.

Jim

Established Member
I don't see anything wrong. The 168 sounded ill.
I think the 168 (second 1) hooted for fun

jd

I thought you could use tripods, but if you were getting in the way or the station was busy, staff were perfectly within their rights to ask you to put it away.

I don't have much experience, but it looks to me as though you are at least a metre from the edge of the platform!

Met Driver

Established Member
You are allowed to use tripods. The ATOC guidelines clearly state this.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
matt said:
Jamie C. Steel said:

This was at Hatton Station which is un-manned. I used a tripod at Nuneaton a few weeks a go with no problem.

Having seen the video, the fact that both Trains hooted specifically at somebody (in this case yourself) warning you to the fact that you were breaking Railway Byelaws, whilst not standing too close to the Edge of the Platform, this was probably them telling you that you shouldnt be using a Tripod at ANY Railway Station.

jd

Right. From NR website:

"Taking photographs on stations is permitted providing it is for personal use. For any commercial photography, prior permission must be sought from the appropriate train operator or, from Network Rail at their 17 major stations. On busy stations the use of a tripod may cause a dangerous obstruction to passengers and you may be asked not to use one. In addition, tripod legs must also be kept away from platform edges and behind the yellow lines. Flash photography on platforms is not allowed as it may distract the attention of train drivers and train despatch staff and is therefore a potential safety hazard. You are also not allowed to take photographs of security related equipment such as CCTV cameras."

You may want to read the whole of the page actually: Guidelines for Rail Enthusiasts

Met Driver

Established Member
Jamie C. Steel said:
matt said:
Jamie C. Steel said:

Having seen the video, the fact that both Trains hooted specifically at somebody (in this case yourself) warning you to the fact that you were breaking Railway Byelaws, whilst not standing too close to the Edge of the Platform, this was probably them telling you that you shouldnt be using a Tripod at ANY Railway Station.

Jamie, kindly read the ATOC guidelines, which are available HERE & HERE. They clearly state that the use of tripods is permitted, but the owner may be asked not to use one under certain circumstances.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
The Association of Train Operating Companies, who dont set Railway Bylaws, and the Railway Byelaws state two things, Railway Byelaws states that use of articles which obstruct platform space is prohibited, a Tripod is rather wide, and it obstructs Platform Space.

And he was specifically requested, although non-verbally to either a) Stand back, or b) Put his Tripod away.

Met Driver

Established Member
I don't feel that he was specifically requested to do either of those things. The driver's actions ('hooting') could have been interpreted in a number of different ways. Indeed, it could have meant a number of different things. Perhaps it was a 'friendly hello', or perhaps it was a warning that the train wasn't stopping? It could have meant any number of things.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
A friendly hoot is not allowed.

A warning that the train is not stopping must be sounded when the train is approximately 250 yards from the start of the Station Platform, and may be repeated if people are standing across the Yellow Line/too close to the platform edge.

Met Driver

Established Member
Jamie C. Steel said:
A friendly hoot is not allowed.

A warning that the train is not stopping must be sounded when the train is approximately 250 yards from the start of the Station Platform, and may be repeated if people are standing across the Yellow Line/too close to the platform edge.

Whether or not a 'friendly hoot' is allowed, drivers still use their horns for such purposes as this.

I do not doubt that what you have said is true, but I would like to know the source of those rules.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Drivers are not allowed to sound the horn upon entering or exiting a Tunnel either, although one MML Driver (he was about 55, getting ready to drive 222012 to London from Derby) said that he would do it because he didnt like not doing it, as he felt safer sounding it to warn people on the other side a train was approaching.

jd

I've seen, or rather heard, loads of trains sound the horn as they enter a platform at which they aren't stopping. Some even sound their horns as they pass through the platform. The fact that he sounded the horn doesn't automatically mean he was doing something wrong. The fact is that he was well behind where the yellow line would have been, and although he was using a tripod, it wasn't getting in anybody's way, there were hardly any people on the station at all!

Tom B

Established Member
Loads of room there!!

Yellow lines - these are only on stations where high speed trains pass, aren't they? Most stations don't have them.

AFAIK they're allowed to horn when going into or out of a tunnel - just at certain locations, fools have bought houses right next to the tunnel and then whinge about the noise :roll: and some beancounter agrees with them, so they can't sound the horn...

T

Tom

The ATOC guidelines clearly state that if it is photography, tripods are permitted and obviously, the station was not busy and was not causing a problem.

If you read the latest copy of the bylaws, they state this too.

Stop arguing, ta.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Firstly drivers do hoot. They have many times. I wasnt obstructing anyone. I was there several hours and about 2 trains stopped (mainly due to the tunnel collaspe i believe)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No problem with it at all.

Nice to see some of the drivers gave you a friendly hoot too :)

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I film without a tripod and well behind the platform edge, and trains still toot at me as hello, sometimes even the driver tooting and waving as well!

The driver was within atleast 3 metres of Matt on the first horn. IMO he would of blown it much earlier if he was warning him.

Status
Not open for further replies.