• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

AMD Processor MAJOR price cut day after Conroe! (51k image)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gareth Hale

According to memos recently obtained by DailyTech, AMD will drastically cut prices on its desktop processors after the July 23rd release of Intel’s Core 2 Duo Conroe processors. The memos that DailyTech has secured are between AMD and Japanese system manufacturers and indicate the following price cuts will become effective July 24th, 2006:
  • AMD Athlon 64 price cuts will receive price cut up to 30%
  • AMD Athlon 64 X2 will receive price cuts up to 50%
  • AMD Sempron processors will receive price cuts up to 15%
The memos only mention the AM2 processors; however the AM2 parts are now priced identically with Socket 939 components. AMD has previously indicated that the aim of the AM2 processors was to be price competitive with its legacy components. Several of the dual-core components do not show a price drop, but it's possible AMD has just not announced the pricing on these processors yet. The Athlon 64 FX model line will not receive any price reduction.

Perhaps the most interesting price reductions are on the Athlon 64 X2 dual core line. The memo claims the Athlon 64 X2 3800+ will fall from a processor-in-box (PIB) of $303 to $169. Single core Athlon 64 3800+ processors will fall from $290 all the way to $139 through special promotions. The AMD Athlon and Sempron Energy Efficient models do not show any price reduction.

Intel already announced that it will also cut prices of its Pentium D and Pentium 4 processors between now and the general availability of Conroe. Conroe benchmarks have recently surfaced with significant performance advantages over Athlon 64, but the largest advantage of the processor until now has been the price advantage. With AMD and Intel in a price war over next generation processors, ultimately consumers will benefit the most.

65nm SOI AMD Athlon 64 Revision G processors are expected to ship this December. The memo also stated that AMD will not publicly announce the price cuts on its processor line until after the Conroe launch to avoid cannibalizing its current sales of AM2 CPUs.

Here is the Price List.

1779_large_full_pricing.png

I am telling you this, because if you are considering buying a new processor (like I am with the 4600+), wait a few weeks (to save quite a lot of money). I am not telling you this for a row, and if a row may start over this, I will leave for good. Deal?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jim

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
I am telling you this, because if you are considering buying a new processor, wait a few weeks. I am not telling you this for a row, and if a row may start over this, I will leave for good. Deal?

Deal!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Do AMD still get up to that trick of pretending CPUs are faster than they really are, e.g. a "2800" CPU is not 2800MHz but is something like 2666MHz, or have they stopped that?

I'll never forgive them for lying about the performance of the K6 CPU :p

Most people's CPUs rarely get to 100% usage anyway these days...

Dave A

When did the $ become the currency of England, where the majority of people on this forum live? disgust :wave: :thebirdm:

T

Tom

I think Gareth thinks this place is a US Computing discussion forum ... or RailUS.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
yorkie said:
Do AMD still get up to that trick of pretending CPUs are faster than they really are, e.g. a "2800" CPU is not 2800MHz but is something like 2666MHz, or have they stopped that?

I'll never forgive them for lying about the performance of the K6 CPU :p

they have never really lied yorkie, AMD processors may have lower clockspeeds than suggested however they have more power, iirc if you buy a "2800" processor it is suggested that it would be equivalent power wise to an intel of that speed, therefore they are not lying just stating the equivalent product.
If I had a choice I would always buy AMD over intel - I'm biased you could say but I've spent to much time pottering around on intel machines - before you argue I am biased to AMD I have more intel machines - I will still contest my AMD Duron 1Ghz is faster than my more recent Intel Celeron 2.5Ghz.

T

Tom

The only way to test differences in speed is to have exactly the same components (you'll need a similar motherboard...) and just have different processors. Exactly the same data, etc.

As it may prove that they are exactly the same speed.

Dave A

Gareth Hale said:
Ive just found out that

AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+ will be £91

Yeah Right! Everyone knows that they will stick the £ sign on the dollar price, then double it! :sad3:

T

Tom

Gareth Hale said:
I am not telling you this for a row, and if a row may start over this, I will leave for good. Deal?

Noel: Row starts, Gareth leaves. Deal or No Deal?
Me: Hmmmmm......
Noel: Well?
Me: DEAL!

16CSVT2700

Established Member
yorkie said:

B/S!
Try using my laptop on a bad day then! Gets to 100% at least 4 times..

devon_metro

Established Member
Tom said:
Noel: Row starts, Gareth leaves. Deal or No Deal?
Me: Hmmmmm......
Noel: Well?
Me: DEAL!
Ok, now lets play how you would have played.

Which box Tom?

Remember, we want to knock o... ;)

Guinness

Established Member
Tom said:
OK my next three boxes are ...

13 - 10p
22 - £1,000
7 - £250,000

Gareth Leaving? Where have I heard that before?!!? :mrgreen:

Dave A

Chaz said:
Gareth Leaving? Where have I heard that before?!!? :mrgreen:

Wishful thinking...... :mrgreen:

Gareth, just please stop with all this computer nonsense. We don't really care. Surely there must be a PC forum out there which will be interested in it all? :)

Gareth Hale

David V2 said:
Wishful thinking...... :mrgreen:

Gareth, just please stop with all this computer nonsense. We don't really care. Surely there must be a PC forum out there which will be interested in it all? :)
Oh its not nonsence, it will affect everyone.

Gareth Hale

yorkie said:

My Athlon 64 3700 is at 100% a lot, expecially on Spybot, Acronis Backup, Steganos Virus scan. Im hopeing my 4600+ will be better at it.

devon_metro

Established Member
That's appauling Gareth, sure there is enough power with all that air con running? Might need some new parts, 100%, well TBH That's not acceptable. What are your comp specs again ;)

Guinness

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
Oh its not nonsence, it will affect everyone.

What's "Nonsence"?

My PC is now on it's last legs and an upgrade would be pointless as everything needs to be upgraded (Motherboard, CPU, Memory (Mine is PC2100!!), Graphics Card, HD and PSU. All in all will be over £500 anyway.

Have you left permanently yet Gareth? :violent3:

Gareth Hale

Chaz said:
What's "Nonsence"?

My PC is now on it's last legs and an upgrade would be pointless as everything needs to be upgraded (Motherboard, CPU, Memory (Mine is PC2100!!), Graphics Card, HD and PSU. All in all will be over £500 anyway.

Have you left permanently yet Gareth? :violent3:

Last time I said id leave but still post if I felt that I needed too, this time I said, if there are any rows, then I would leave for good. :love6::love6:

£500?! Ha, wishful thinking if you want a really powerful PC!

Guinness

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
£500?! Ha, wishful thinking if you want a really powerful PC!

I don't want a powerful PC. I'm not a power hungry American like yourself. I want a PC that boots up in a reasonable time not 10 minutes like the one I'm using at the moment.

devon_metro

Established Member
Me thinks Gareth would like to see a nice message like TM did, then he would do waht he has said for ages ;)

Gareth Hale

dvn1357 said:
That's appauling Gareth, sure there is enough power with all that air con running? Might need some new parts, 100%, well TBH That's not acceptable. What are your comp specs again ;)

Just because the A/C is running it doesnt effect the load of the CPU, it effects the temperature ;). My specs are

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ @ 2.4GHz
1024MB PC3200 Memory
80GB Hard drive
450W PSU
Windows XP Home, Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000 and Vista (on virtual PC)
21GB C Drive
32GB D Drive
11GB E Drive
16GB Acronis Restore Zone
[EDIT]
Chaz said:
I don't want a powerful PC. I'm not a power hungry American like yourself. I want a PC that boots up in a reasonable time not 10 minutes like the one I'm using at the moment.

For gods sake, im not American, do you understand that or shall I post it in every language Bable fish can do?

Guinness

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
My specs are

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ @ 2.4GHz
1024MB PC3200 Memory
80GB Hard drive
450W PSU
Windows XP Home, Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000 and Vista (on virtual PC)
21GB C Drive
32GB D Drive
11GB E Drive
16GB Acronis Restore Zone

Isn't that like the 8th time in the past 2 months you mentioned your PC Specs and more importantly who cares?

Status
Not open for further replies.