• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Amended timetable for Govia Thameslink Railway services on Brighton mainline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gareth4949

Do you know what happens to the carriages that are detached at Eastbourne from the 17:27 Victoria to Ore Service

RichardKing

Do you know what happens to the carriages that are detached at Eastbourne from the 17:27 Victoria to Ore Service

They form 5F42 into the carriage sidings, where they spend the night. The following morning, they shunt back into Eastbourne (under the headcode of 5D03) to form a service to Hastings (2D03).

I was quite amazed when I saw the full list of movements to/from Eastbourne Carriage Sidings; there's quite a lot!

Last edited:

387star

On Moderation
Yes, they will.

can't the brighton no longer express trains that will stop at horley replace those south coast trains? always seems an odd stop to me might as well be gatwick airport it is that near
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What is interesting is the change from the draft timetable in the consultation. In that timetable evrything stopped at Gatwick. Now it seems the Horley stop has been removed from the Southampton service as well as Redhill, and the Brighton semi-fast takes up the Horley call for Victoria trains in place of calling at Gatwick.

)

oh just seen this
stupid question but do the littlehampton/ore trains go via redhill

JonathanH

Veteran Member
can't the brighton no longer express trains that will stop at horley replace those south coast trains? always seems an odd stop to me might as well be gatwick airport it is that near

oh just seen this
stupid question but do the littlehampton/ore trains go via redhill

Much of the development in Reigate and Banstead borough is taking place in Horley so it will increase in importance over time and the stop there in the Brighton semi-fast replaces the current stop in one of the Arun Valley services.

It stops at Horley instead of Gatwick.

Littlehampton / Ore services do not go via Redhill.

387star

On Moderation
thanks is there info on the improved thameslink services through redhill?

won't these go direct to brighton?

RichardKing

As far as I can see, the vast majority of Thameslink services serving Redhill will run only between Bedford and Gatwick Airport/Three Bridges. However, there will be the odd peak-time service that runs right down to Brighton.

JonathanH

Veteran Member

It isn't really an improvement. Since December last year there have been 6tph of "Thameslink" services south of East Croydon. 4tph from Bedford of which 2tph go to Brighton and 2tph go only as far as Three Bridges. The other service has been 2tph London Bridge to Brighton.

The 2tph for Three Bridges has been running non-stop via Redhill crossing to the fast at Norwood Junction and then back to the slow at Stoats Nest Junction. What will happen from December is that it runs on the slow all the way from Crystal Palace to Three Bridges and picks up the stops of the current London Bridge to Reigate / Tonbridge service north of Redhill. South of Redhill they only stop at Gatwick Airport and Three Bridges.

This is the Thameslink service at Redhill on 15 December in the new timetable which you will see is off-peak only.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...5/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=TL

This is it on the first Saturday of the new timetable, 19 December

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...9/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=TL

The current Bedford to Brighton and London Bridge to Brighton services maintain the 4tph off-peak "Thameslink" to Brighton. By the time the Bedford to Three Bridges train reaches Three Bridges the Bedford to Brighton service has caught up with it (and northbound the need to shoehorn in the Reigate / Tonbridge to London Victoria train means that the Three Bridges to Bedford train leaves Three Bridges before the Brighton to Bedford train that leaves East Croydon 15 minutes earlier).

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...9/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=TL

The fact that it goes to Three Bridges at all seems to be for operational convenience (ie the availability of platform 1 there to turn it round in)

Last edited:

mr_jrt

Established Member
The loss of South Coast services will be missed but the genuine need from Redhill is a service to Brighton which is a major employer from the area. Those services were taken away in 2006/7 when Thameslink was diverted down the quarry line.

Redhill has become vastly reduced version of its previous self with low quality routes replacing good services and lack of imagination by the timetable planners.

Random thought.

It would be hugely expensive, but the lines are very, very close south of Merstham. Could it be worthwhile widening ~2km of railway so the fast lines could serve Redhill? You'd obviously have to combine this with a rebuild of the station to ensure you had sufficient platform capacity, but it would enable vastly more services to call, because I don't see platforms appearing on the Quarry lines any time soon...

Minstral25

Established Member
It isn't really an improvement. Since December last year there have been 6tph of "Thameslink" services south of East Croydon. 4tph from Bedford of which 2tph go to Brighton and 2tph go only as far as Three Bridges. The other service has been 2tph London Bridge to Brighton.

The 2tph for Three Bridges has been running non-stop via Redhill crossing to the fast at Norwood Junction and then back to the slow at Stoats Nest Junction. What will happen from December is that it runs on the slow all the way from Crystal Palace to Three Bridges and picks up the stops of the current London Bridge to Reigate / Tonbridge service north of Redhill. South of Redhill they only stop at Gatwick Airport and Three Bridges.

The current Bedford to Brighton and London Bridge to Brighton services maintain the 4tph off-peak "Thameslink" to Brighton. By the time the Bedford to Three Bridges train reaches Three Bridges the Bedford to Brighton service has caught up with it (and northbound the need to shoehorn in the Reigate / Tonbridge to London Victoria train means that the Three Bridges to Bedford train leaves Three Bridges before the Brighton to Bedford train that leaves East Croydon 15 minutes earlier).

The fact that it goes to Three Bridges at all seems to be for operational convenience (ie the availability of platform 1 there to turn it round in)

It only originally went to Gatwick but pressure off the Redhill Route from users very unhappy at changing trains at Gatwick meant it has been extended to Three Bridges (Which also slightly helps the loss of Redhill to Crawley services)

As a service North from Redhill as I said before it is virtually useless as the later Victoria train gets you to Blackfriars and St Pancras via the tube 10 minutes faster

els

Whilst on the face of it these changes are great for Brighton folk, GTR have been very sneaky/clever here - the popular Brighton-Victoria route will now have 2 instead of 3 services per hour where Super Off Peak and Advance singles are valid to Victoria, and these will have additional stops too.

The extended Gatwick Expresses meanwhile will cost a lot more (especially for tourists who tend not to have railcard discounts).

I'm sure we can expect a lot of confusion and unfair penalty fares..

Phil.

Established Member
Random thought.

It would be hugely expensive, but the lines are very, very close south of Merstham. Could it be worthwhile widening ~2km of railway so the fast lines could serve Redhill? You'd obviously have to combine this with a rebuild of the station to ensure you had sufficient platform capacity, but it would enable vastly more services to call, because I don't see platforms appearing on the Quarry lines any time soon...

They may be very very close in your eyes/imagination/estimation but there's a whole lotta residences in between as well as a girt big hill. You could always go left field and re-open the fast line platforms at Earlswood though.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.2397775,-0.1650406,577m/data=!3m1!1e3

Last edited:

mr_jrt

Established Member
They may be very very close in your eyes/imagination/estimation but there's a whole lotta residences in between as well as a girt big hill. You could always go left field and re-open the fast line platforms at Earlswood though.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.2397775,-0.1650406,577m/data=!3m1!1e3

Sorry, I think you have misunderstood me. They're only ~45m apart with just wasteland between them here:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.2596804,-0.152333,232m/data=!3m1!1e3

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Sorry, I think you have misunderstood me. They're only ~45m apart with just wasteland between them here:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.2596804,-0.152333,232m/data=!3m1!1e3

What problem does a crossover at Merstham solve? Yes, it would allow faster services from Redhill and Reigate but with the best will in the world there is only ever going to be a half hourly 'fast' service northbound from Redhill and is the expenditure really going to pass a cost benefit analysis when you could, with better timetabling and investment on the junction at South Croydon, accommodate the entire service from Redhill on the slow lines.

Capacity from Gatwick and stations further south is maximised by running all services on the Quarry line without the complication of any services joining the fast line between Gatwick Airport and East Croydon.

Furthermore, a crossover south of Merstham means that the trains using it can't stop at Coulsdon South or Merstham and the capacity at those stations is just as acute an issue as it is at Redhill.

The more I look at the December 2015 timetable the more I notice a poor distribution of services - eg the big gap on off-peak services to London Bridge from East Croydon in the half hour when the Uckfield service doesn't run which is something just short of 20 minutes then four trains in the next 10 minutes.

Bishopstone

Established Member
I can't see this has been raised elsewhere on the forum.

What is the story behind the 'experimental' cancellation of half the off-peak GatEx service, for a week starting on Monday 23rd? Also a number of off-peak Brighton-London Bridge Thameslink trains will now terminate at Gatwick.

We are only three weeks away from the new timetable. Isn't it a bit late to start tweaking the outgoing timetable to see if it can be made to work better?

There's clearly a bigger story in the background, but what?

BzRail

I can't see this has been raised elsewhere on the forum.

What is the story behind the 'experimental' cancellation of half the off-peak GatEx service, for a week starting on Monday 23rd? Also a number of off-peak Brighton-London Bridge Thameslink trains will now terminate at Gatwick.

We are only three weeks away from the new timetable. Isn't it a bit late to start tweaking the outgoing timetable to see if it can be made to work better?

There's clearly a bigger story in the background, but what?

Being cynical, is it coincidence that there are ongoing reports of crew shortage at the moment? I suspect it gets them out of paying fines/delay repay.

There also seems to be spin involved, because they have not (yet) published a list of all the changes, instead referring people to the journey planner to look up individual journeys.

It is important to passengers who use the off-peak services to be able to see the overall changes to the service pattern, without jumping through hoops. It would be interesting to see their defininition of 'off-peak'.

Bishopstone

Established Member
Yes, the run in to Christmas is always difficult, with drivers using up leave days to attend to the same festive commitments as the rest of us. Also, is driver resource now being diverted to type familiarisation on the 387/2s and 700s?

I wonder whether airport stakeholders were given the same notice (24 hours) as passengers?

What's going to change in three weeks time that will make 4 GatEx per hour viable again?

berneyarms

Established Member
I'm going by Realtimetrains - that's the only period that there is a 30 minute service.

Perhaps there are more changes than shown there.

embers25

Established Member
I'm going by Realtimetrains - that's the only period that there is a 30 minute service.

Perhaps there are more changes than shown there.

Full list is below (I would've though the 0956 and 1028 TL ones are rather busy with cheap ticket holders..obviously knowing Thameslink they'll cancel these four and then short form the ones behind them!):

Full Thameslink cancellations:

09:56 Brighton-London Bridge
10:28 Brighton-London Bridge
14:42 London Bridge - Brighton
15:12 London Bridge - Brighton

Part Thameslink cancellations Services (terminating short at Gatwick):

10:56 Brighton-London Bridge
11:28 Brighton-London Bridge
11:56 Brighton-London Bridge
12:28 Brighton-London Bridge
12:56 Brighton-London Bridge
13:28 Brighton-London Bridge
13:56 Brighton-London Bridge

Part Thameslink cancellations Services (Starting short at Gatwick):

11:12 London Bridge - Brighton
11:42 London Bridge - Brighton
12:12 London Bridge - Brighton
12:42 London Bridge - Brighton
13:12 London Bridge - Brighton
13:42 London Bridge - Brighton

Southbound Gatwick Express cancellations:

09.14 Victoria-Gatwick
09.44 Victoria-Gatwick
10.14 Victoria-Gatwick
10.44 Victoria-Gatwick
11.14 Victoria-Gatwick
11.44 Victoria-Gatwick
12.14 Victoria-Gatwick
12.44 Victoria-Gatwick
13.14 Victoria-Gatwick
13.44 Victoria-Gatwick
14.14 Victoria-Gatwick
14.44 Victoria-Gatwick
15.14 Victoria-Gatwick
15.44 Victoria-Gatwick
19.14 Victoria-Gatwick
19.44 Victoria-Gatwick
20.14 Victoria-Gatwick
21.14 Victoria-Gatwick
21.44 Victoria-Gatwick

Northbound Gatwick Express cancellations:

09.35 Gatwick-Victoria
10.05 Gatwick-Victoria
10.35 Gatwick-Victoria
11.05 Gatwick-Victoria
11.35 Gatwick-Victoria
12.05 Gatwick-Victoria
12.35 Gatwick-Victoria
13.05 Gatwick-Victoria
13.35 Gatwick-Victoria
14.05 Gatwick-Victoria
14.35 Gatwick-Victoria
15.05 Gatwick-Victoria
15.35 Gatwick-Victoria
16.05 Gatwick-Victoria
20.05 Gatwick-Victoria
20.35 Gatwick-Victoria
21.05 Gatwick-Victoria
21.35 Gatwick-Victoria
22.05 Gatwick-Victoria
22.35 Gatwick-Victoria

Additional stops:

09.45 Littlehampton to Victoria call additionally at Preston Park(Southern service)

10.08 Brighton to Bedford call additionally at Hassocks and Balcombe (Thameslink service)

10.38 Brighton to Bedford call additionally at Hassocks and Wivelsfield (Thameslink service)

13.24 Bedford to Brighton call additionally at Preston Park (Thameslink service)

13.54 Bedford to Brighton call additionally at Balcombe (Thameslink Service)

neilm

Also the new off peak gatex to Brighton, will southern tickets be accepted on it?

I see in the evenings they stop at Haywards heath but it is not clear what tickets will be accepted.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Full list is below (I would've though the 0956 and 1028 TL ones are rather busy with cheap ticket holders..obviously knowing Thameslink they'll cancel these four and then short form the ones behind them!):

Full Thameslink cancellations:

09:56 Brighton-London Bridge
10:28 Brighton-London Bridge
14:42 London Bridge - Brighton

Part Thameslink cancellations Services (terminating short at Gatwick):

10:56 Brighton-London Bridge
11:28 Brighton-London Bridge
11:56 Brighton-London Bridge
12:28 Brighton-London Bridge
12:56 Brighton-London Bridge
13:28 Brighton-London Bridge
13:56 Brighton-London Bridge

Part Thameslink cancellations Services (Starting short at Gatwick):

11:12 London Bridge - Brighton
11:42 London Bridge - Brighton
12:12 London Bridge - Brighton
12:42 London Bridge - Brighton
13:12 London Bridge - Brighton
13:42 London Bridge - Brighton

Southbound Gatwick Express cancellations:

09.14 Victoria-Gatwick
09.44 Victoria-Gatwick
10.14 Victoria-Gatwick
10.44 Victoria-Gatwick
11.14 Victoria-Gatwick
11.44 Victoria-Gatwick
12.14 Victoria-Gatwick
12.44 Victoria-Gatwick
13.14 Victoria-Gatwick
13.44 Victoria-Gatwick
14.14 Victoria-Gatwick
14.44 Victoria-Gatwick
15.14 Victoria-Gatwick
15.44 Victoria-Gatwick
19.14 Victoria-Gatwick
19.44 Victoria-Gatwick
20.14 Victoria-Gatwick
21.14 Victoria-Gatwick
21.44 Victoria-Gatwick

Northbound Gatwick Express cancellations:

09.35 Gatwick-Victoria
10.05 Gatwick-Victoria
10.35 Gatwick-Victoria
11.05 Gatwick-Victoria
11.35 Gatwick-Victoria
12.05 Gatwick-Victoria
12.35 Gatwick-Victoria
13.05 Gatwick-Victoria
13.35 Gatwick-Victoria
14.05 Gatwick-Victoria
14.35 Gatwick-Victoria
15.05 Gatwick-Victoria
15.35 Gatwick-Victoria
16.05 Gatwick-Victoria
20.05 Gatwick-Victoria
20.35 Gatwick-Victoria
21.05 Gatwick-Victoria
21.35 Gatwick-Victoria
22.05 Gatwick-Victoria
22.35 Gatwick-Victoria

Additional stops:

09.45 Littlehampton to Victoria call additionally at Preston Park(Southern service)

10.08 Brighton to Bedford call additionally at Hassocks and Balcombe (Thameslink service)

10.38 Brighton to Bedford call additionally at Hassocks and Wivelsfield (Thameslink service)

13.24 Bedford to Brighton call additionally at Preston Park (Thameslink service)

13.54 Bedford to Brighton call additionally at Balcombe (Thameslink Service)
I imagine unless they change the timings or their is also enough allowances, those services will run late.

The reason for doing this was for reliability in the current weather. I guess if those run late but the others on time it won't matter.

Interestingly the details were not in the Thameslink site when I looked earlier but are on the Southern site. The above link is not mobile friendly. Perhaps they don't expect people to lookup some information whilst on the move and only wish to use journey planners.
Will Thameslink only ticket be valid on the Southern service from Littlehampton for passengers travelling from Preston Park or any station served by that train and the cancelled Thameslink one?

If there are punctuality issues off peak, necessitating a reduction in service, what about punctuality during the peak? Is that OK?

Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I think that the idea is to allow recovery between the peaks - ie if there are delays in the morning peak, the reduction in service during the day gives a chance for the service to recover for the evening peak.

What happens during the peak period itself is a different matter.

LBSCR Times

Being cynical, is it coincidence that there are ongoing reports of crew shortage at the moment? I suspect it gets them out of paying fines/delay repay.

There also seems to be spin involved, because they have not (yet) published a list of all the changes, instead referring people to the journey planner to look up individual journeys.

It is important to passengers who use the off-peak services to be able to see the overall changes to the service pattern, without jumping through hoops. It would be interesting to see their defininition of 'off-peak'.

There are no crew savings from the alterations, as the plans were drawn up by Control staff, and crew diagrams were unaltered.

When I looked on the Thameslink website yesterday evening, all the alterations were on there.

asylumxl

Established Member
This travel update has been posted today on the Thameslink website (taken directly from NRE I assume, given they talk about themselves in the third person).

Due to poor punctuality during autumn, and the very busy nature of the service, Thameslink have worked with Network Rail to temporarily remove a number of off-peak services from the timetable. This is to help reduce congestion on the network, so that a more reliable service can be provided overall. This will start on Monday 23 November, for a one week trial.

Seven off peak services each way between Brighton and London Bridge will run between Brighton and Gatwick Airport only, and two services will not run. Additional station stops have been added into other Thameslink or Southern trains to provide travel alternatives. Ticket acceptance is in place so Southern and Thameslink passengers can use each others services between London and Brighton.

Thameslink state that they have considered these temporary changes carefully to minimise the impact on passengers. Thameslink will review the effect they have on overall punctuality during this week, and assess if they should continue up until the timetable change on 13 December when a new off peak timetable pattern is due to be introduced.

To check your journey, please use the National Rail Enquiries real-time Journey Planner

As a regular user i would say their poor punctuality isn't limited to the Autumn season, but that's another topic.

I'm not sure what to make of this. It seems to me as if they are moving the goal posts in order to improve their punctuality figures.

I would like to know what other members of this forum make of this decision. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Bishopstone

Established Member
The reason for doing this was for reliability in the current weather. I guess if those run late but the others on time it won't matter.

But autumn started two months ago, along with dedicated leaf-fall timetables for certain routes. Granted, the season began mild so perhaps leaves have been later in falling, but what is it about this week that gave GTR particular cause for concern? The weather forecast is quite tranquil for late November.

I remain surprised that this plan was settled on Sunday afternoon (it seems), and that on Monday morning the Twitter crew - who I believe sit in the control room now - were scrabbling around trying to establish an official line on mutual ticket acceptance between Thameslink and Southern/GatEx.

And again I ask: given the weather is unexceptional this week, what changes on December 13 which renders 4x GatEx per hour viable again? Is the new off-peak timetable thought to be inherently more robust, even though (if I recall correctly) the number of trains per hour on the BML remains constant?

Starmill

Veteran Member
When is a 378/2 due in service? Apologies I'm not sure where the thread for this would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.