• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

American Express AMEX

Status
Not open for further replies.

pethadine82

On Moderation
Do all railway stations ant ticket machines offer Amex?

If not what happens if travelling late at night and the only facility did not accept amex, and there is no cashpoint?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member

If not what happens if travelling late at night and the only facility did not accept amex, and there is no cashpoint?

As far as I know, they do so it shouldn't be an issue. I have one and never had a problem with it on the railways.

34D

Established Member
As far as I know, they do so it shouldn't be an issue. I have one and never had a problem with it on the railways.

I seem to recall that the machine or website of one TOC (forget which) wouldn't take them. Going back a couple of years though.

route:oxford

Established Member

Then you'd use a different card.

Despite growing acceptance, most Amex users are savvy enough to carry a Mastercard or Visa Card with them too. Some Amex issuers, such as MBNA, supply their customers with an Amex & Visa Card linked to a single account.

If you're going to the Olympics, don't expect to be able to use an Amex, Mastercard, Diners, JCB or essentially any issuer except Visa at the Olympic park.

wellhouse

The machines recently introduced at unstaffed stations by Northern accept neither American Express nor cash. Northern do acccept Amex on board and at staffed stations.

Monty

Established Member
South West Trains accept American Express also at the ticket office, TVMs and via advantix ticket machines.

Ascot

Established Member
Chiltern machines do but I can't confirm nor deny any others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bkhtele

First great western machines, Internet site & stations accept Amex, I always use it as security seems simpler on the Internet

island

Veteran Member
All TOCs are required to accept Amex (along with Visa, MasterCard, Maestro, JCB, and Diners, I believe). If you are one of the half-dozen or so Amex cardmembers in the world who doesn't carry a different card, using one of the few dozen stations which doesn't accept Amex but accepts other cards, I am sure you would be served on board. In fact, even if you aren't, I expect you would, same as if you were trying to pay with cash or an RTV.

ess

in the dying days of one of the east coast TOCs it was decided not to accept AMEX - can't remember which one

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
I believe AMEX charge rather more that Mastercard or Visa to process transactions, so I'm not surprised that some places don't accept them

route:oxford

Established Member
I believe AMEX charge rather more that Mastercard or Visa to process transactions, so I'm not surprised that some places don't accept them

Very few poor people hold Amex cards, so the average spend by an Amex cardholder is significantly higher.

There isn't a huge difference in the fees for Amex really. From memory it isn't far off an International Mastercard.

island

Veteran Member

It's one or two percentage points more as far as I know. But TOCs are required to accept Amex.

Status
Not open for further replies.