• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

American Station Announcers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwrail

I am a regular commuter from Waterloo to Canary Wharf and have noticed recently that there are a number of American station announcers. While having nothing against our American cousins, the style that they use really grates. I just want to be told where the train is going and when the doors are closing. Being a grumpy old man, I really don't want to be told to have a nice day and to brighten up everyone else's day. Unbelievably irritating.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it a new TFL strategy?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tibbs

Not Americans but I have noticed some editorialising on the Northern Line.

I don't travel by tube too often, so it's ok with me. :)

Bertie the bus

Established Member
I guess it’s all part of Boris’ strategy to rebrand London as a ‘World city’ and distance it from the rest of England. I was at Stratford recently and the voice telling people there was a good service on the Underground had a thick Eastern European accent. Whilst it was easy enough to understand it did get me thinking whether the Paris Metro has announcers who sound like they starred in ‘Allo ‘Allo.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I guess it’s all part of Boris’ strategy to rebrand London as a ‘World city’ and distance it from the rest of England. I was at Stratford recently and the voice telling people there was a good service on the Underground had a thick Eastern European accent. Whilst it was easy enough to understand it did get me thinking whether the Paris Metro has announcers who sound like they starred in ‘Allo ‘Allo.

I think I would support a policy of platform announcements being made in the style of characters from Allo Allo. Renee Atois could list all of the stations of the Huddersfield stopper in the style of one of his opening monologues. Announcements at busy stations such as Kings Cross could be prefixed by Michelle of the Resistance saying "Listen very carefully - I shall say zees only once". No smoking announcements could be made curtly by Herr Flick. Monsieur Alfonse could warn that any packages making "dicky ticker" sounds would be destroyed :lol:

Bertie the bus

Established Member
I'm pleased to see you didn't have Michelle saying the no smoking announcements, otherwise it would be "Listen very carefully - I shall say zees every 40 seconds for zee rest of your life".

kentuckytony

I...have noticed recently that there are a number of American station announcers. While having nothing against our American cousins, the style that they use really grates....Unbelievably irritating...

Where do I get a job doing this? I will use my normal Kentucky twang.<D:lol:

Clip

Established Member
Since the 50s TfL have always hired people from other nationalities and its never been a problem - whats changed?

Karl

On Moderation
Basil Fawlty doing the St Pancras International departure announcements would be a hoot too!

me123

Established Member
I just want to be told where the train is going and when the doors are closing. Being a grumpy old man, I really don't want to be told to have a nice day and to brighten up everyone else's day. Unbelievably irritating.

Ok. Have a crap day, then. And make everyone else's day a living hell. Wow, people in London really are as miserable as they look, aren't they?

Established Member
.......Wow, people in London really are as miserable as they look, aren't they?

Bit of a leap there. One poster doesn't like our American cousins style of announcing and suddenly the whole population of London is miserable :(

The announcements add a bit of colour to the day. If the accent irritates, well everyone has an accent of some sort so you just have to get over it.

A happy Londoner :D

Taunton

Established Member
One poster doesn't like our American cousins style of announcing
Actually the style of voice long used at stations in the USA is quite different to what is being discussed here, it is traditionally done in a flat monotone which must have some tradition behind it, listing all the points, ending up with a great crescendo "Aaaaaaaal aboard". It's particularly striking boarding a long distance service at say Chicago "Pass'gers for IllinoisIowaNebraskaEasternColorado, neaaaaarest three cars, pass'gers for WesternColoradoUtahNevadaCalifornia, cars furrrrrther forward"

New York subway drivers (once titled Motorman, nowadays updated to Motorperson) inevitably have their own unique style of live announcements, sometimes starting "Dis is ya Modo-poison speakin' ".

Curiously, USA horse racing commentators on TV/radio all seem to share a very similar flat monotone style, quite different to what you get in Britain.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Well...you could have some fun with the voice of John Cleese in his Basil Faulty character or Billy Connolly as station announcers!

Status
Not open for further replies.