• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Amsterdam Eurostar

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
I understand the cheapest "non promotional" fare will be £35 one way. This seems too good to be true that someone could turn up on the day and get this ticket without having to go for a ticket booked weeks in advance. That said, if they are wanting to compete with low cost airlines then this is the way forward.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MisterT

The timetable cuts time in Brussels from 44-48 minutes to 28 minutes. Pressumably Eurostar will hold services in the event of a delay.
Unfortunately, that is not the case. Passengers have to use the earlier Thalys train to Brussels to be able to catch the Eurostar from Brussels and the current 45 minute check-in time will still be in place.
When you use the Eurostar train, there is not enough time for all checks, so you'll end up on the next Eurostar.

williamn

Frankly bizarre way to launch a service! It's one way only - I'm surprised they haven't copied the model from south of France and detrained people at Brussels or Lille for processing, at least that way they could claim to have a service in both directions.

Second, the day they announce it, its not on sale. Only from Feb 20th.

HowardGWR

Established Member
If there will be a direct train direct to AMS, does this mean that the unit has to return ECS to Brussel? Even if pax have to 'change' at Brussel on the return, why could they not be conveyed by the E320 instead of Thalys (I wonder)?

MisterT

As I understand it, the E320 is running as addition to the regular Thalys service between Amsterdam and Brussels. So you can use it, but not when you want to travel to London.
When you want to travel to London, you take the Thalys train that will depart 30 minutes earlier.

BahrainLad

Yes. It will be impossible to travel from Amsterdam to London all on the same train. If you want to use the particular trainset from Amsterdam to Brussels, you will have to get off in Brussels. If you want to use it from Brussels to London, you will need to start Eurostar formalities before it arrives from Amsterdam (so needing to use an earlier train if coming from there.)

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I understand the cheapest "non promotional" fare will be £35 one way. This seems too good to be true that someone could turn up on the day and get this ticket without having to go for a ticket booked weeks in advance. That said, if they are wanting to compete with low cost airlines then this is the way forward.

I expect it will be priced from £35 so once those fares sell out it will cost more.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
For what it's worth, Eurostar say they will be running 2 services between Amsterdam and Brussels to supplement the Thalys services.
But they don't explain the connectional arrangements at Brussels Midi.
The seat61 item shows a 28 minute wait for the through trains at Brussels, presumably for passport/security checks.
So can you travel on the through train or not?
All very unclear.

StephenHunter

Established Member
For what it's worth, Eurostar say they will be running 2 services between Amsterdam and Brussels to supplement the Thalys services.
The seat61 item shows a 28 minute wait for the through trains at Brussels, presumably for passport/security checks.
All very unclear.

You have to get off for the checks.

tricky_dicky

All very unclear.

You have to get off at Brussels go through security and get on the next Eurostar, the one you arrived on from Amsterdam will goto London but not with you on board - I assume it's running purely as a Brussels - London service from there

MisterT

All very unclear.
No, you can not travel on the same train. The 28 minute wait is for the security sweep of the train itself, not for the passport checks.
So for the time being: take the Thalys train to Brussels and change there for the Eurostar, just like it is now.
The Thalys will depart half an hour before the Eurostar from Amsterdam, and with those additional 30 minutes, there is enough time for the passport checks and you'll be able to board the Eurostar from Brussels.
Passengers on board of that Eurostar coming from Amsterdam will have to take a later train to London.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
All very unclear.

To summarise:

Eurostar will be running from Amsterdam to Brussels, and Brussels to London, with one train.
On arrival at Brussels from Amsterdam, all passengers, and their luggage, must leave the train.
Passengers from that train intending to travel to the UK must then proceed via security and border control.

The train is at Brussels for 28minutes, whence it then departs for London.

The minimum check in time at Brussels for standard tickets, is 30 minutes (45 minutes at busy times) to allow for the security and border control checks.
Therefore if you alighted the Eurostar ex Amsterdam, you would not reach check in before it closed for the onward journey (for standard passengers)*

Eurostar will therefore not sell you a ticket that officially connects you off the Eurostar arriving from Amsterdam back on to the same Eurostar departing on to London.

Therefore your options are either 1) take the earlier Thalys train from Amsterdam, which does provide sufficient time at Brussels to clear security and catch the Eurostar (that originated at Amsterdam) and is thus an official connection, or, 2) catch the Eurostar at Amsterdam, and connect into a later Eurostar from Brussels (that has not started in Amsterdam).

Simples.

* given that the check in time for Business Premier is only 10 minutes, it would, in theory be possible to catch the Eurostar from Amsterdam, alight as required at Brussels, run round to check in, check in for the Brussels-London leg, clear security and board the same train for the trip to Blighty. Eurostar won't let you book it as one journey though, presumably as it breaks the minimum connection time, so you would need to book as separate legs, and risk the connection. (ie if the train was say 18 minutes late into Brussels, it could still leave on time, and there would not be sufficient time to to get checked in).

Nevertheless (and if it's ok with the Mods) I will stand a pint to the first forum member who publishes evidence on the Trip Planning & Reports forum of them making this unofficial (but technically official) connection, with the added spice of occupying the same business premier seat (reserved as such) on both the Amsterdam - Brussels and Brussels - London legs. Appropriate photographic evidence of timings etc. required to claim the prize.

Last edited:

dutchflyer

Established Member
Rather conflicting info here in NL on this service:
the whole week all newspprs were telling us, that due to Brexit etc. there wont be any through trains untill at least 2020.
Then yes, hurrah, today €* itself got out a notice that the new service is to start 4/4, booking possible from 20/2, lowest fare quoted as 40€/single, IF booked well advance etc. (Well, just today also got the weekly advert. mails from an airline called U2=EZ, with lowest fares from just under 30€/also to book long before and without all the extra's for seat/luggage/cf etc.). From my home its a little cheaper to go to AMS/Schiphol airport as to AMS-Central. Further details as described above.
But at least TO NL-for me back home, its just sit&relax (well, to be very honest, I've ever been very enthusiastic about the cramped seating and all people perched into a few coaches all together-often even worse as on a cheap TGV-but then I've not yet been into the new E320 yet)-often enough in an AB320 (and 321 too) though.
BTW-seems very strange to me that the €* cannot provide a special channel at BRU for its through pax-but then its probably more a thing of the UK bordercheck people standing on their grounds and rights etc.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
More seriously now, given the publicity Eurostar are getting over this, I confidently expect the trains to be reasonably full, and a extra service or two to be put on sharpish.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
One thing is not clear to me from all the above posts: when the train leaves after the 28 minutes, does it:

a) Pick up a load of previously checked in passengers from Bruxelles for London, effectively starting from there?
b) Run ecs to London?
c) Run ecs to Fforest?
d) Run ecs to Fforest and then back into Bruxelles to form a later departure for London?
e) Do something else?

AlexNL

Established Member
So theoretically speaking you should be able to make it back onto that train if you're traveling in Business Premier?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
So theoretically speaking you should be able to make it back onto that train if you're traveling in Business Premier?

Provided the arrival in Brussels is on time (or a handful of minutes late at worst). But you won't be sold that as an itinerary (and I guess if one booked it as two separate legs, *you* (not Eurostar) would be responsible if the onward leg was missed, due to having insufficient time at Brussels.)

Status
Not open for further replies.