• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Amsterdam Eurostar

Status
Not open for further replies.

FQTV

So, it could be Rotterdam or anywhere?

:D

I'm up for €* serving Lime St and Termini, too...

:D:D

Wrong direction if you want the beautiful south, though.

:D:D:D

Just completed the great triangle - ie Darlington-London VTEC, London-Amsterdam E*, Amsterdam-Newcastle DFDS ferry (and TPE back to Darlo). I was on the second direct service on the first day of the new service, the 17.31 arr 22.12. Still handed a free waffle, flag and a bag, which I proundly used around Amsterdam. The train meanders rather slowly after Brussels for a while, but was bang on its planned time arrival. The train was not full dispite the cancellation of other Brussels services - most people got off in Brussels in fact, although quite a few others joined at Brussels. I agree that Antwerp should be the next easy target for Eurostar and that extending a couple of Brussels services and stopping the Amsterdam service here would be a good way to achieve this. I was pleasantly surprised that the hard seats in Standard Premier were not quite as unpleasant as I first expected.

That was pretty much my routing (well, apart from the fact that I went via Munich and Venice, too) and I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I found this e320 ride much more comfortable than the one that I took shortly after the first trains in the new fleet started to be deployed.

Perhaps the seat foam has ‘matured’!

I also neglected to note in the earlier post that the arrival of the inaugural service apparently with, as reported upthread, 750 disembarkees, was delayed to favour another late-running service, and the station conveniently turned off the escalators down from the platform in readiness for our arrival.

It’s a poorly-kept secret that the city burghers of Old Amsterdam are ambivalent at best to the new service, so perhaps there’s a connection.

If any of them happen to be reading, our party of one middle-aged company director and his two senior citizen parents spent a grand total of EUR33 in their city, before we fled to DFDS, so they should perhaps be careful who they risk discouraging when they try to dissuade stag parties with such blunt instruments!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Groningen

Established Member
Zoetermeer is a huge benefit of Rotterdam

To reach Zoetermeer you must use metro E to Den Haag Centraal, change at Leidschenveen and use tramline 4. An only busconnection is to go to Delft with busline 40 and 55. Hoewever this busconnection is (say) 50 minutes longer than metro and tram. There is also a train/tram connection at Den Haag Laan van NOI to go to Zoetermeer.

Today the fastservice between Amsterdam and Brussel via Breda (change of direction with a 8 minutes wait) begins. With increased prices. When using that train you get the advice to change trains in Antwerpen, because the Benelux train has a detour at/to Airport Zaventem. Say 20 to 30 years ago it already had the current time of travel between both capitols. So improvement; none!

By the way. With this latest addition it becomes very crowded between Rotterdam Centraal and just before Breda where the tracks to and from Antwerpen/Brussel (Thalys/Eurostar) and Breda/Eindhoven (IC/ICD) separate. They are talking about (weekdays) 246 trains a day. I hope that is in both direction. For example; the ICD to Breda departs at 51 and a Thalys at 58 right behind it. ICD has 160 km an hour; the Thalys has 300.

In 2017 there were 628 major disruptions on the HSL; of which 92 caused serious problems to the passengers. Major painpoints is the bridge across Hollands Diep. With too much wind it cannot be used and the transition from Dutch 1500 Volt currency to the HSL currency and v.v..

33Hz

This week I took the 17:31, but only as far as Brussels. On the way back I was on the 18:56. Both trains are non-stop London <-> Brussels, yet the former is timed at 1h48m and the latter at 2h01m. Why? The return across France seemed positively leisurely.

citycat

I’m just curious, does the return working to London carry passengers? The Eurostar set passes me at about 17:50 as I drive a truck between Rotterdam and Antwerp, and it always looks empty. Unless I am missing seeing passengers due to the speed it passes me.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I’m just curious, does the return working to London carry passengers? The Eurostar set passes me at about 17:50 as I drive a truck between Rotterdam and Antwerp, and it always looks empty. Unless I am missing seeing passengers due to the speed it passes me.
Yes, as far as Brussels only, and then the train number continues forwards as a Brussels to London train (I'm on 9157 tonight). Its running from Amsterdam to Brussels arriving P3 or 4 later and we are apparently departing P1, so will be a set swap, I expect they aren't running them through as they'd have to security sweep the entire train and platform, and load all passengers in the 25mins available.

33Hz

When is a Eurostar ticket not valid on a Eurostar? When it's Any Dutch Station (via Brussels) to London.

One would think this was valid on the Rotterdam to Brussels service (the ticket conditions only mention not valid on Thalys), but no, it cannot be used on the Dutch leg of the Eurostar trip either.

DavidGrain

Established Member
My guess is that they will make the Any Dutch Station ticket to exclude Rotterdam and Amsterdam or not valid on the Eurostar/Thalys beyond Brussels. They can after all make their own conditions on connections on tickets like I regularly travel on Chiltern tickets which are marked valid via High Wycombe only.

BahrainLad

A quick question about the Standard Premier service on the 0831 departure from London to Amsterdam. Presumably it'll be a light breakfast with tea, coffee, juice etc. served on departure from STP (like the Paris service) but is there anything further through the journey after that? A YouTube video taken from the Business Premier carriage on the launch day indicates that there was a light snack service with wine on departure from Brussels, but I am not sure if that was a) for launch day only or is b) only for Business Premier.

It's not a big issue, as we will be stocking up with snacks (and fizz!) from STP anyway, but just curious as to what was offered.

GingerSte

A quick question about the Standard Premier service on the 0831 departure from London to Amsterdam. Presumably it'll be a light breakfast with tea, coffee, juice etc. served on departure from STP (like the Paris service) but is there anything further through the journey after that? A YouTube video taken from the Business Premier carriage on the launch day indicates that there was a light snack service with wine on departure from Brussels, but I am not sure if that was a) for launch day only or is b) only for Business Premier.

It's not a big issue, as we will be stocking up with snacks (and fizz!) from STP anyway, but just curious as to what was offered.

I'll tell you in about a month!

AlexNL

Established Member
I was on the inaugural morning service from London to Amsterdam, in Standard Premier. Shortly after departing from STP, they came round with breakfast:

g4mcNcd.png

(picture of the Eurostar breakfast tray with pastries, jam, butter, coffee, orange juice and yoghurt on it.)

They came round a 2nd time to see if anyone wanted more pasties or some more coffee/tea, and after that they came back to collect the trays and to wipe the tables clean.

After leaving Antwerp they came round with wine and nuts, but I don't know if this is a regular thing or if it was to celebrate the launch.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

That was probably my video - I asked the staff at the time, and they confirmed it was a normal service and that there would be a second pass of the breads and pastries after Brussels in Standard Premier.

fowler9

Established Member
I was on the inaugural morning service from London to Amsterdam, in Standard Premier. Shortly after departing from STP, they came round with breakfast:

g4mcNcd.png

(picture of the Eurostar breakfast tray with pasties, jam, butter, coffee, orange juice and yoghurt on it.)

They came round a 2nd time to see if anyone wanted more pasties or some more coffee/tea, and after that they came back to collect the trays and to wipe the tables clean.

After leaving Antwerp they came round with wine and nuts, but I don't know if this is a regular thing or if it was to celebrate the launch.
Pasties! Blimey! Ha ha.

citycat

Is there an evening direct service to Amsterdam these days? An e320 just passed me on the Antwerp ring road heading towards Holland. It was too far away for me to see if it had passengers on board.

Just curious what a Eurostar was doing heading out of Antwerp at 21:00. Maybe a test run?

AlexNL

Established Member
There are two direct services from London to Amsterdam a day, as per the following timetable (courtesy of The Man in Seat 61):

SjtNnhw.png

If you saw a Eurostar at Antwerp around 21:00, it's the evening train.

williamn

Took the 08.31to Rotterdam the other week. Very smooth journey. Train was pretty full until Brussels but emptied out significantly after. Only a handful got off in Rotterdam. We were on time but we really crawled between Brussels and Antwerp. As an aside, not a huge fan of the new trains - claustrophobic and hard seats! Still beats the plane hands down. We just need a couple more services a day and the return portion sorted out and it'll be really competitive.

Is it possible to buy a London Rotterdam or London Amsterdam ticket then get off early at Brussels?

radamfi

Established Member
Is it possible to buy a London Rotterdam or London Amsterdam ticket then get off early at Brussels?

I don't think there's anything to stop you doing that as there's no ticket check once you pass the ticket barrier at St Pancras. Is there a rule forbidding getting off early?

CMS

Technically, the answer is no as you need to scan your E* ticket on the NS ticket gates in NL in order to leave the station and 'end your journey'. In practice though, there is nothing stopping you doing this as if your E* terminates at Brussels, you can leave the ticket area there and if it is direct to The Netherlands, it will arrive on platforms 3-6 it would be highly unlikely to have arrival checks as there isn't really the room and there are multiple exits.

In the opposite direction, this is certainly doable as you are required to change at Brussels Midi anyway.

On Eurostar website:
5th July
London Brussels 8.31am is £56
London Amsterdam 8.31am £49

AlexNL

Established Member
Technically, the answer is no as you need to scan your E* ticket on the NS ticket gates in NL in order to leave the station and 'end your journey'.
The only purpose of scanning the barcode is to operate the gates. It is not used to keep track of your exit station.

CMS

The only purpose of scanning the barcode is to operate the gates. It is not used to keep track of your exit station.

Indeed, I believe it's an NS thing, not a E* thing, as NS run the service within NL (which could explain why the barcodes on e-tickets/mobile tickets on E* changed from a standard QR-code-type to the current-type identical to the ones on international tickets issued by NS). Unlike on flights, not travelling on the outward journey (intentionally or not) on E* does not affect/invalidate the inward return journey. So by all means it can be done.

GingerSte

As promised...!

As per AlexNL's post for the pastries and yoghurt between London and Brussels (08:31 midweek). Same with the second pass for tea/coffee. They did come round with a drinks trolley after Brussels. I can't remember if alcohol waas offered, but I went with a mini can of cola anyway. They also offered a small pack of pear drops.

Took the 08.31to Rotterdam the other week. Very smooth journey. Train was pretty full until Brussels but emptied out significantly after. Only a handful got off in Rotterdam. We were on time but we really crawled between Brussels and Antwerp. As an aside, not a huge fan of the new trains - claustrophobic and hard seats! Still beats the plane hands down. We just need a couple more services a day and the return portion sorted out and it'll be really competitive.

Slightly different experience on my journey. Note: I can only spek for my carriage (standard premier). Approx 95% full from London, and only a few people off and on at Brussels. Approx 90% full from Brussels to Rotterdam, at which point a large group (and a few others) got off. No replacements. Approx 70% full from Rotterdam to Amsterdam.

Oh, and Amsterdam's cyclists are psychopaths! Plus, if you're in a wheelchair, or have a problem with stairs, don't visit Amsterdam.

GingerSte

Something I've just remembered.

It's not specifically for the Amsterdam Eurostars, but I noticed it on my return from Amsterdam. On the platform at St P when I arrived back, there was one of the 374's. The yellow line under the window was looking very tatty (bits missing, or hanging off) for a train so new.

Gadget88

Something I've just remembered.

It's not specifically for the Amsterdam Eurostars, but I noticed it on my return from Amsterdam. On the platform at St P when I arrived back, there was one of the 374's. The yellow line under the window was looking very tatty (bits missing, or hanging off) for a train so new.

Yes I’ve noticed this too on a few trains do they not fix these issues? Can they not put a new sticker on?

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Had an interesting experience attempting to get through the gates at Amsterdam having come off my Eurostar. Attempted to scan the barcode at the gates, but it was having none of it Ended up resorting to the help point, the operator only wanting to know if I was ending my journey there before letting me out.
Apart from that I thought my journey was rather good.
Sam

BahrainLad

We travelled out to Amsterdam last Friday on the 0831 service. We booked back in early June and paid £78 one-way pp in Standard Premier.

St Pancras was extremely busy, but they were doing a good job of 'combing' the queues and pulling people forward whose trains were leaving soon. Try and use the left hand checkin gates, as they lead through to manual passport control, which I noticed was far quicker than the automatic gates down the right hand side. We rolled up at 0745 and just as we got through, boarding was announced.

We had Standard Premier tickets and chose carriage 1, as in the middle of that carriage the direction of the seats switch around, and instead of the configuration being 1-2 it basically goes to a row of 1-1 with the pair of seats facing each other over a table. There is a small partition behind each set of seats, so a nice little private area (we were travelling with friends on the opposite side of the carriage) with the added bonus that I could park up my daughter in her buggy next to us. Recommended if you're travelling this way.

On time departure, and shortly breakfast was served - the tray posted upthread with croissant, roll, jam, yoghurt and OJ. After the trays were dished out the crew came down the carriage passing out pain au chocolat (including an extra one for my daughter, which she was delighted with). After the clear in they came round with a basket of apples which I thought was a nice touch.

After what seemed like a very short while an announcement was made saying the bar/buffet would be closing shortly, I was surprised but then I realised we were only 15 minutes from Brussels at this point (I am much more used to the 'rhythm' of the longer Paris service).

We had three minutes pause at Gare du Midi, so I took the opportunity to get some fresh air and show my daughter a bit of Belgium. Quite amused by the thousands of discarded cigarette butts visible between the platform and the train.

Upon departure from Brussels we trundled north at a leisurely pace and the bar/buffet was reopened. After 10 minutes or so the trolley came round with a full bar service, soft drinks, beer and red/white/rosé wine. I had the rosé and was pleased to note it was a very pale Coteaux d'Aix en Provence, my favourite. After I finished that getting another bottle (and one for my travelling companion) from the galley was no trouble. Drinks were served with a bag of nuts and they also came round later with some Dutch liquorice (I think...)

North of Antwerp we speeded up again and eventually arrived in Amsterdam just around 20 minutes late. No reason was given for the delay (we did come to a standstill a couple of times during the slow bit in Belgium) but one of the crew did come through the carriage shortly before arrival thanking everyone for travelling with Eurostar.

All in all it was a fantastic trip, very convenient especially the ability to wheel my daughter all the way on board and then park her next to us. Compared to to the return, where we had the hassle of flying back from Schiphol to LCY on a cramped Dash 8, I would take the train every time - when they get the return arrangements sorted.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
My trip was also late coming into Amsterdam, but dear me did that bit after Brussels feel like a crawl until we hit the high speed line. I don't have a track map but would be interested to know what route it takes.
Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.