• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Amsterdam Eurostar

Status
Not open for further replies.

sisyphus

Just to clarify:
Did you have to scan the barcode (i.e. a 'closed' gate station)?
Was it at Rotterdam Centraal?
Was it a Eurostar ticket?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anme

Established Member
The option of changing trains at Lile and Brussles is even less appealing than doing so in England. I wish they made the Amsterdam services more accessible!

Why? It's a great deal easier to change in Lille or Brussels than to go from Kent into London and out again.

ALANDW

The 11:04 departure to Amsterdam on the 23rd of June became bookable to Brussels yesterday, if it's of any help.
yes and with quoted fares of £35 to Amsterdam and £117 to Brussels....Just who are they kidding?

AlexNL

Established Member
You can leave at Rotterdam with an Amsterdam ticket, yes.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
The 11:04 departure to Amsterdam on the 23rd of June became bookable to Brussels yesterday, if it's of any help.

Ah well. I won't mention it to the rest of the party that it might now be avaliable just stick to early start.

YorkshireBear

Established Member

Ah well. I won't mention it to the rest of the party that it might now be avaliable just stick to early start.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
yes and with quoted fares of £35 to Amsterdam and £117 to Brussels....Just who are they kidding?

Maybe they want to 'encourage' Brussels passengers not to consume space on Amsterdam trains (with wasted space Brussels-Amsterdam), until Brussels trains have filled up.

Entirely reasonable.

anme

Established Member
Maybe they want to 'encourage' Brussels passengers not to consume space on Amsterdam trains (with wasted space Brussels-Amsterdam), until Brussels trains have filled up.

Entirely reasonable.

It's simply market-based pricing. It's the same as operators in the UK charging fares which are not based on distance.

Veteran Member
It's simply market-based pricing. It's the same as operators in the UK charging fares which are not based on distance.
Not quite. I can't recall UK operators effectively removing a stop from the timetable and then reinstating it to control loadings. They may do it by price, which ES could have done - but in any case those in the know booked to Amsterdam at the normal Brussels fare, and it was always bookable as a DB Sparpreis London... (but see the thread on that!).

You can buy the Amsterdam ticket and get off at Brussels, so why would anyone pay the Brussels price on an Amsterdam train if it's more?

anme

Established Member
You can buy the Amsterdam ticket and get off at Brussels, so why would anyone pay the Brussels price on an Amsterdam train if it's more?

I assume most Brussels passengers will not check the price to Amsterdam.

jellybaby

I'm not sure how they'd catch you.
Failure to scan the ticket on an exit barrier at AMS? Add an exit check at BRU? Spot check of empty seats between BRU and AMS? Track your mobile phone MAC address as you leave? Facial recognition cameras? Black helicopters?

How they catch you isn't really what I was wondering but what the T&Cs say. I suppose I should read them myself.

I've done it. £35 Amsterdam ticket. Non stop to Brussels
Walk straight out at Brussels. Zero checks or barriers.

Groningen

Established Member
As long as there is no chip in the trainticket movement of travellers is not controlled.

AlexNL

Established Member
That could be changed if Eurostar felt they were missing out on significant revenue.
Not really.

The gatelines on Dutch stations are usually near the entrances/exits to the stations, and are used by all passengers. There is no guarantee that they will be used by passengers at all (they can be opened for operational reasons at any time).

Passengers arriving on Eurostar may immediately continue their journey on a Dutch domestic train by touching in their OV-chipkaart on the platform and boarding an NS train.

The only way Eurostar could enforce restrictions is by doing a ticket inspection round between Brussels and Rotterdam and cross-checking all tickets against those which have been checked in at St. Pancras. This will then come up with a list of tickets which are for the Netherlands, but are no longer present on the train.
As long as there is no chip in the trainticket movement of travellers is not controlled.
If the booking number and passenger last name is encoded into the QR code stamped on the ticket, it's theoretically possible to keep track of people like that. But that would most likely run into privacy objections (think GDPR) as the gates were not built for that purpose.

jellybaby

The only way Eurostar could enforce restrictions is by doing a ticket inspection round between Brussels and Rotterdam
Or an exit check at Brussels. Or half a dozen other things if they really wanted.

But I wan't really asking if it was possible for Eurostar to catch people leaving the train early but if it was allowed. There are lots of rules in life that you can break without being caught but that doesn't mean it is actually allowed.

I suppose the other option is could you buy a ticket from London to Brussels and stay on to Amsterdam? Sometimes that might be cheaper depending on when you book etc.

ALANDW

Or an exit check at Brussels. Or half a dozen other things if they really wanted.

But I wan't really asking if it was possible for Eurostar to catch people leaving the train early but if it was allowed. There are lots of rules in life that you can break without being caught but that doesn't mean it is actually allowed. to

I suppose the other option is could you buy a ticket from London to Brussels and stay on to Amsterdam? Sometimes that might be cheaper depending on when you book etc.
When I asked Eurostar, their response was "we're sorry to say that you can only board and disembark at stations named on your ticket, so it wouldn't be possible for you to book to Amsterdam and disembark in Brussels"...seems a bit of weasily wording to me and suggests that they know people will do this and there is nothing they can do about it.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
...we're sorry to say that you can only board and disembark at stations named on your ticket...
which sort-of contradicts the advice in their FAQs at https://help.eurostar.com/faq/uk-en/question/I-ve-booked-from-one-station-can-I-board-at-another
I’ve booked from one station, can I board at another?
Tickets booked from St Pancras International
Tickets from St Pancras International can also be used to board at Ashford or Ebbsfleet International.
Tickets booked from Ashford or Ebbsfleet International
Tickets booked from our Kent stations can be used to board the train at St Pancras International.
Tickets booked from the Continent to the UK
You may only board the train at the station shown on your ticket. Once we're back in the UK though, you can get off at Ashford, Ebbsfleet or St Pancras International – just check where your train's stopping. The exception is the Direct Disney train - passengers must be booked on the train from Ebbsfleet International in order to get on or off there.

nw1

Established Member
Is this 1104 to Amsterdam a replacement for the current 1058 to Brussels, incidentally, or an entirely separate train?

If it's a replacement I can see a few problems:
a) Brussels fares being higher, as suggested above here - so less choice for Brussels passengers;
b) consequently, less London Spezial fares being available to Germany (while they last...) - the 1058 is IIRC the only departure from London with ICE connection at Brussels, except the 0647, soon to become the 0613, and one fairly late in the day which reaches Cologne late. It's certainly the ideal departure if you want Cologne or Frankfurt, for example, or even further afield in Germany with an overnight stop at Cologne.
c) Ebbsfleet losing a service as presumably the 1104 path is the same as the 1058 path minus an Ebbsfleet stop.

Not saying a third Amsterdam departure is a bad thing - far from it - but surely it should be additional to the regular Brussels services?

Veteran Member
Is this 1104 to Amsterdam a replacement for the current 1058 to Brussels, incidentally, or an entirely separate train?

If it's a replacement I can see a few problems:
a) Brussels fares being higher, as suggested above here - so less choice for Brussels passengers;
b) consequently, less London Spezial fares being available to Germany (while they last...) - the 1058 is IIRC the only departure from London with ICE connection at Brussels, except the 0647, soon to become the 0613, and one fairly late in the day which reaches Cologne late. It's certainly the ideal departure if you want Cologne or Frankfurt, for example, or even further afield in Germany with an overnight stop at Cologne.
c) Ebbsfleet losing a service as presumably the 1104 path is the same as the 1058 path minus an Ebbsfleet stop.
Looks as though the 1104 is bookable 3 months ahead to Brussels; the fares on random midweek dates are higher than the cheapest but sometimes cheaper than the 1258 (which now also has a DB connection BTW, which has probably taken the pressure off the old 1058).

With higher capacity trains ES want to maximise loadings as the track access agreement doesn't encourage them to run extra services.

johnnychips

Established Member
OT, but I don’t want to start a new thread. Has the bar in the departure area at St Pancras reopened yet?

Bit off topic as this is "Amsterdam" thread, but those TV screens in the new Eurostar are really annoying and a negative to the overall experience.

johnnychips

Established Member
Thanks for confirming the bar is open. At something like £7 for a pint of Leffe, you really should remember to buy your beer before, but sometimes you don’t.

I honestly haven’t noticed any TV screen on the new trains!

And back on topic, I am very interested in paying for an Amsterdam ticket for a cheaper price than a Brussels ticket. Realistically, if they don’t do exit checks at Brussels - and I’ve never ever seen this, what could they do? Even if they did, they could hardly physically force you back onto the train. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.