• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Amsterdam Eurostar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gadget88

Any updates on this? Last I heard they would do a media run in December before a new service comes in the Spring? Is this still the case?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Groningen

Established Member
De Eurostar Amsterdam – Londen gaat rijden. Vanaf het voorjaar van 2018 moet de trein 2x per dag gaan rijden.
Source: Treinreiziger (Traintraveller)

Eurostar Amsterdam - London is going to run. In spring 2018 the train should run 2 times a day.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Will it be a single train doing 2 out and back runs or will it need 2 trains, one for each out and back run?

Groningen

Established Member
I have sent out a request for information about traveltimes of the Eurostar. Do of course whether i get a reply, but often .......

MisterT

From December, Eurostar wants to start with one train a day, with the second service added in the spring, but I'm not sure if passengers are allowed on the Eurostar until the launch of the spring service.
Today, there should be a first full test run from London to Amsterdam. Last Wednesday, the run in the opposite direction was cancelled because of the storm.

Last edited:

GingerSte

From that article...

The Article said:
Services will depart from London St Pancras International at 08.04 and 17.04 Monday - Friday, 08.04 and 16.01 on Saturday, and 11.04 and 17.04 on Sunday. Departures from Amsterdam Central will be at 07.48 and 16.48 Monday - Friday, 07.48 and 14.18 on Saturday, and 09.25 and 17.21 on Sunday.

So for a 4:10 journey, the 08:04 from St Pancras would arrive in Amsterdam at 13:14 (don't forget they're an hour ahead), and not return until 16:48. (The same cannot be said for the service in the other direction, as different sets could be used.) It seems to me to be a waste, having a set sat idle for 3.5 hours. I know that there will be cleaning/servicing time, but not that much.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
From that article...

So for a 4:10 journey, the 08:04 from St Pancras would arrive in Amsterdam at 13:14 (don't forget they're an hour ahead), and not return until 16:48. (The same cannot be said for the service in the other direction, as different sets could be used.) It seems to me to be a waste, having a set sat idle for 3.5 hours. I know that there will be cleaning/servicing time, but not that much.

These times also coincide with business peaks at Brussels, which has a Eurostar roughly every two hours at present. It's likely they could justify some extra Brussels trains in the peaks but the train in question wouldn't be doing much in between, so might as well send it to Amsterdam.

Veteran Member
From that article...

Eurostar tend to have generous rather than minimum turnrounds. I don't think an earlier return time would allow better stock utilisation, and it would be less useful to business travellers to London.
I suspect the Amsterdam based set will operate in marginal time, with the 09.00-ish from Brussels being cancelled in its favour.

Groningen

Established Member
If this article is true than it does know more than NS International!

Jordeh

I know there are some complexities but this seems to have been delayed so many times. It really is disappointing it will have taken 25 years from the Channel Tunnel opening, for a pretty poorly serviced London to Amsterdam route to emerge.

Nevertheless I look forward to it, I just wish they'd face some on-rail competition as Eurostar don't seem competitive in the slightest.

Gadget88

From December, Eurostar wants to start with one train a day, with the second service added in the spring, but I'm not sure if passengers are allowed on the Eurostar until the launch of the spring service.
Today, there should be a first full test run from London to Amsterdam. Last Wednesday, the run in the opposite direction was cancelled because of the storm.

Did the test go ahead today? Any pics of the Euro star arriving in Amsterdam?

MisterT

Yes, the test run from yesterday did go ahead and the set arrived safely at Amsterdam.
Some pics from yesterday and today via social media.
Yesterday, pic taken by a fellow train driver: https://twitter.com/MachinistASD/status/908670192418525184

Today from the traffic control post at Amsterdam: https://www.instagram.com/p/BZGbqzeg0t7/

Today, the set is being tested at other parts of the Dutch network, but I'm not sure if that's for the paperwork or already driver training or testing different scenarios, like diversions in case of disruptions on the High Speed Line.

GingerSte

Eurostar tend to have generous rather than minimum turnrounds. I don't think an earlier return time would allow better stock utilisation, and it would be less useful to business travellers to London.
I suspect the Amsterdam based set will operate in marginal time, with the 09.00-ish from Brussels being cancelled in its favour.

The 7:48 from Amsterdam wouldn't make it to Brusseld in time to replace this. It would be departing Brussels roughly 10:10 by my estimate. Either it would slot in between the (current) 08:52 and 10:56 departures, or it would replace them both. (Option 3 is a complete recast, I suppose.)

I was actually thinking of going the other way: making the 08:04 London-Amsterdam an hour earlier (ie an extension of the current 06:57 London-Brussels service), and making the 16:48 service an hour later (ie an extension of the current 19:52 Brussels-London service). Then slotting in a third service in between for both sets.

Veteran Member
The 7:48 from Amsterdam wouldn't make it to Brusseld in time to replace this. It would be departing Brussels roughly 10:10 by my estimate. Either it would slot in between the (current) 08:52 and 10:56 departures, or it would replace them both. (Option 3 is a complete recast, I suppose.)

That's what I was meaning, to cancel the 0852 (the 1056, when it runs, has a Cologne connection).

Whilst it's fine and dandy to see the Eurostar service to Amsterdam. What ever happened to the extension to the Scottish Capital Edinburgh. After all the various Northern/Scottish regions contributed to the Eurostar/Channel Tunnel project. Their contribution being to extra trains to operate a servise from Edinburgh via Newcastle, York and Doncaster to London. Whilst I believe there was some gauging/training runs, nothing came of the servise. The furthest North I've seen a Eurostar was York on a day out from Tyneside. When some were leased to GNER, who used them to there and Leeds.

Last edited:

gazthomas

Established Member
Whilst it's fine and dandy to see the Eurostar service to Amsterdam. What ever happened to the extension to the Scottish Capital Edinburgh. After all the various Northern/Scottish regions contributed to the Eurostar/Channel Tunnel project. Their contribution being to extra trains to operate a servise from Edinburgh via Newcastle, York and Doncaster to London. Whilst I believe there was some gauging/training runs, nothing came of the servise. The furthest North I've seen a Eurostar was York on a day out from Tyneside. When some were lease to GNER, who used them to there and Leeds.

Low cost airlines came a long and killed Eurostar to the regions.

GW43125

Established Member
Does the Dutch line use a different signalling system from the French and Belgian ones (TVM430, KVB etc); and are 373s cleared/going to be cleared to Amsterdam?

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Does the Dutch line use a different signalling system from the French and Belgian ones (TVM430, KVB etc); and are 373s cleared/going to be cleared to Amsterdam?

I think that there must be a fair chance that they use the same. afaik Thalys services run between Brussels and Amsterdam. They use a TGV variant

MisterT

The Dutch High Speed Line is equipped with ERTMS Level 2 (with a fall back to Level 1) and on the regular track sections, the Dutch ATB safety system is in use.
So no, the 373 will not be able to run in the Netherlands, but the 374 is.
Thalys has been retrofitted with ERTMS.

Gadget88

Just wondering if signs at St Pancras will be updated to have Dutch signs and announcements?

Also are stations like Antwerp and Rotterdam all set up with check in areas for Euro star?

MisterT

Also are stations like Antwerp and Rotterdam all set up with check in areas for Euro star?
The Eurostar will not stop at Antwerp. The security area at Amsterdam is currently under construction at platform 15, the one at Rotterdam will be constructed in the near future at platform 1 (which will be platform 2 in the future to accommodate the Eurostar).

Gadget88

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Just wondering if signs at St Pancras will be updated to have Dutch signs and announcements?

Unlikely. Signage in Brussels is bi-lingual in French and Flemish (which is very similar to Dutch) so if that logic applied St Pancras would be tri-lingual already. Announcements on Brussels Eurostars are in all three languages.

MisterT

They looked into it, but Antwerp didn't have the capacity to have a track dedicated to the Eurostar and the security checks. For the same reason, the stop at Schiphol Airport has also been omitted.

Gadget88

They looked into it, but Antwerp didn't have the capacity to have a track dedicated to the Eurostar and the security checks. For the same reason, the stop at Schiphol Airport has also been omitted.

Ah cool so unlikely to happen even in the future? I guess those two stops should knock some journey time off maybe a good bit under 4 hours now?

Also can it do 200 miles per hour on Dutch railway lines too?

Status
Not open for further replies.