• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Amsterdam Nightjet on test

Status
Not open for further replies.

citycat

The Amsterdam Vienna portion of the Nightjet was on test through Utrecht last Sunday the 9th May 2021.

I don’t think I’m allowed to provide a direct link so just copy and paste:

(SPECIAL) NS international Vectron

into the youtube search engine and the video should come up.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanNCL

Established Member
The Amsterdam Vienna portion of the Nightjet was on test through Utrecht last Sunday the 9th May 2021.

I don’t think I’m allowed to provide a direct link so just copy and paste:

(SPECIAL) NS international Vectron

into the youtube search engine and the video should come up.
I believe it was used to take the Austrian delegation to Rotterdam for the Eurovision Song Contest which is taking place there next week.

DanielB

It was a test run as well. Therefore, the train back to Austria also operated according to the timetable which is going to be used as of the real start of this connection end of May.
That revealed as well that the information displays on the stations were only showing one of the destinations, as can be seen in this thread on Twitter.

Veteran Member
That revealed as well that the information displays on the stations were only showing one of the destinations, as can be seen in this thread on Twitter.
Presumably because the Wien portion carries a different number, 40421? Train numbers for multi portion trains need care!

DanielB

That's very likely the cause indeed. The software used for the train information displays on the platforms in The Netherlands is capable of displaying multi portion trains, but this requires the pre-programming which combinations of train numbers run as one train on parts of the route.
And even then it has several bugs... with a Nightjet stopping at a busy station like Utrecht Central you'd really not want a delay due to the two destinations being on the displays the wrong way around (which happened for some time with domestic multi-portion trains).

Hopefully they did take this into account in the specifications of the new software for these displays which is due to go-live in december, which should solve several problems the displays currently have.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I am told the sleeper will carry the number "420" - this means something special to various people.

Hint - "marijuana or weed smokers who refer to "420" time as time for a smoke" !

Veteran Member
I am told the sleeper will carry the number "420" - this means something special to various people.

Hint - "marijuana or weed smokers who refer to "420" time as time for a smoke" !
420 from Innsbruck, 421 from Amsterdam, as it was previously from Düsseldorf.

DanielB

And 40490 Vienna - Amsterdam / 40421 Amsterdam - Vienna for the other part of the train. Which actually are also the train numbers the former CityNightLine from Amsterdam to Vienna used to utilize.

As usual even numbers towards Amsterdam, odd numbers from Amsterdam. So not that weird that train numbers from the past are now used again.

Veteran Member
And 40490 Vienna - Amsterdam / 40421 Amsterdam - Vienna for the other part of the train. Which actually are also the train numbers the former CityNightLine from Amsterdam to Vienna used to utilize.

As usual even numbers towards Amsterdam, odd numbers from Amsterdam. So not that weird that train numbers from the past are now used again.
Don't think it was the history. There are some suggestions on Twitter about additional items on the breakfast menu :)

Aictos

Established Member

Can you explain why they refer to 420 as such though?

As to the service, does anyone know when OBB is planning on launching the service?

Gag Halfrunt

Congratulations, you've brought the discussion back to where it started.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member

“420 started somewhere in San Rafael, California in the late ‘70s. It started as the police code for Marijuana Smoking in Progress. After local heads heard of the police call, they started using the expression 420 when referring to herb - Let’s Go 420, dude!”

peteb

I thought all trains are non smoking so I guess the additional breakfast items could include "hash" browns?

Aictos

Established Member
“420 started somewhere in San Rafael, California in the late ‘70s. It started as the police code for Marijuana Smoking in Progress. After local heads heard of the police call, they started using the expression 420 when referring to herb - Let’s Go 420, dude!”
Ahh thanks for that.

jamesontheroad

Established Member

As to the service, does anyone know when OBB is planning on launching the service?

In written American-English, the month precedes the day, hence 4/20 is the 20th of April, which is now an informal national celebration of cannabis and pot culture in the USA.

XAM2175

Established Member
Looks quite promising! And seeing the NS Vectron at Köln will be a bit of treat too.

Status
Not open for further replies.