• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Amsterdam to Rotterdam

Status
Not open for further replies.

IIRC NS tried to charge €10 at the start and there was an outcry.

The supplement on Inter City Direct is only payable on the new high speed line, between Schipol and Rotterdam Central.

If you purchase a supplenet from a ticket machine with a Chip card, it will charge €2.30. If you go to the booking office and purchase it you will be charged a supplement for not using the ticket machine.

If you arrive on a train without a supplement ticket, you will be charged a €10 supplement, so beware.

If you simply want to try out Inter City Direct, without paying a supplement, you should travel from Rotterdam to Breda, where although the train still uses a part of the High Speed line to Brussels and Paris, no supplement is payable.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Couple of weeks ago did the trip to Amsterdam & Rotterdam.

Have to say the trip was so easy which made it all the more better.
Train London to Harwich Intl, Ferry to the Hoek then train into Amsterdam, it was so seamless and fairly relaxing.

Got me wondering if there are any other sail/rail connection as easy to Europe for short 1,2 or 3 days away, exclude Ireland been so many times.

Thinking about doing Harwich,Amsterdam and Paris by Thalys next, but open to other options/ideas.

radamfi

Established Member
Thinking about doing Harwich,Amsterdam and Paris by Thalys next, but open to other options/ideas.

You could go to Paris the old fashioned way, using the Dover to Calais ferry, but you need separate tickets for each part of the trip nowadays:

http://www.seat61.com/London-Paris-ferry.htm

Or you could still use the Harwich to Hoek van Holland route and go to Germany via Rotterdam and Utrecht, or via Eindhoven and Venlo, or via Heerlen.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
Trouble is, no other ferry route from UK to mainland Europe is rail connected at both ends.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Hull-Rotterdam (Europoort) might be an option, with bus/coach transfers each end. The transfers can be booked together with the ferry ticket.
Similarly Hull-Zeebrugge. There's an hourly local train service from Zeebrugge into Bruges, but the ferry booking also offers a coach transfer into Bruges. There's also the coastal tram through Zeebrugge if you fancy a Belgian seaside holiday!
On the down side, Hull is a long way from some places in the UK.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The great advantage of the Harwich - Hoek route is the excellent rail connections. Most ferry services used to have connections like this, but closure of most of the port stations, such as Weymouth Quay and Dover Western Docks, means that this way of travelling is becoming unique now.

Even Rosslare Harbour has suffered from having the station moved away from the terminal building, where it was so easy, and you now have to walk through the car park for ten minutes to reach a train.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
The great advantage of the Harwich - Hoek route is the excellent rail connections. Most ferry services used to have connections like this, but closure of most of the port stations, such as Weymouth Quay and Dover Western Docks, means that this way of travelling is becoming unique now.

Even Rosslare Harbour has suffered from having the station moved away from the terminal building, where it was so easy, and you now have to walk through the car park for ten minutes to reach a train.

And even Hook of Holland is going to be converted to the metro/tram network - http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/...holland-railway-to-be-converted-to-metro.html
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/light-rail/rotterdam-orders-vehicles-for-new-lrt-line.html
and in Dutch: http://hoekselijn.mrdh.nl

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I know, and it's a shame, but all the more reason to enjoy the trains while you can!

Groningen

Established Member
And even Hook of Holland is going to be converted to the metro/tram network

On the + side; the station Hoek van Holland Strand will be moved to the real strand. (Strand is dutch for beach).

Veteran Member

I don't think this will make a huge amount of difference to most rail passengers, although it means an extra change to get to Rotterdam Centraal. That is, provided the ticketing is done properly.

Groningen

Established Member
It means more that you travel first with RET or RandstadRail to Schiedam or Rotterdam and than by train to Amsterdam. One can travel better with busline 35 to Den Haag Leyenburg and with a tram to CS take the train there to Amsterdam.

radamfi

Established Member
I can see the argument for getting the 35 bus as the rail route north via Schiedam is rather indirect, the bus/tram route is more in a straight line to Den Haag and arguably more interesting if you want to see villages and the suburbs of Den Haag. It could be worth doing if you have already done the regular train route. It is of course not covered by the Dutch Flyer ticket. Has it been decided if the Dutch Flyer ticket will be valid on the Metro line from Hoek van Holland in future?

As an aside, Den Haag Leyenburg is an example of European style integration that is frowned upon by many British commentators. Many bus routes terminate there at the edge of the city with passengers expected to continue on by tram. Many people in Britain would see that as undesirable, preferring to see the buses continue into the city centre, duplicating the tram route.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
As an aside, Den Haag Leyenburg is an example of European style integration that is frowned upon by many British commentators. Many bus routes terminate there at the edge of the city with passengers expected to continue on by tram. Many people in Britain would see that as undesirable, preferring to see the buses continue into the city centre, duplicating the tram route.

which is similar to how the T&W Metro operated when it was first opened, ofcourse that disappeared with Bus deregulation

DeeGee

Most bus operators would like to take the full fare from their pax into the city centre, rather than only take a part and then have a tram, operated by a rival group, take the rest. Most pax would rather only pay once, or get a day ticket from one operator. There's no incentive to do anything else.

Integrated ticketing would help this hugely, rather than complete deregulation. As it is now, Stagecoach* will duplicate routes and undercut the other providers to force them out of business, so naturally they'll run their buses alongside whatever else is available. If payment of, say, a 60 minute single fare, gave you a choice on arrival at the Transport Interchange of a 10 minute journey to the city centre by tram, or 25 minutes round the houses, I know what I'd choose. If, however, I've paid my 2 quid flat fare for a single bus journey, I don't want to get off and pay again to save 15 minutes.

*similar practices are employed by other operators

HowardGWR

Established Member
In the Netherlands, with OV jaarkaart, you just check in at the start and then check out and in as you change methods (if required). If living half way out of a city like Den Haag it could be better to get off at the outskirts and travel in a bit, than travel to the centre and then go back out. The Randstad area (Rott, DH, Ams, Utrecht) lends itself to these ideas. A bit like Greater London, as is now being achieved with Overground, Crossrail, etc.

button_boxer

Established Member

I guess Harwich survived where other port stations didn't because it is a through station rather than the end of a branch and thus has a reason for its existence aside from purely offering ferry connections to foot passengers.

I feel like dipping my toe again to the european market.

Looking for suggestion on a day return from Amsterdam or Rotterdam.

Leaving either at about 10am with a return back at about 16:30.

Any ideas welcomed..........

Last edited:

gazthomas

Established Member

Veteran Member
Not an expert on NL and not sure what your interests are but...
The new line from Amsterdam to Zwolle via Lelystad?
The Utrecht railway museum?
Pay a couple of Euros to do the HSL Rotterdam to Amsterdam.
If you like olde Dutch towns then Hoorn and Enkhuizen (and even Alkmaar though it's a bit cheesy), and on the right day there's the steam tram to Medemblik.

Groningen

Established Member
Stoomtram Hoorn - Medemblik: http://www.museumstoomtram.nl/en

At Albert Heijn you can buy an all dayticket for the Netherlands untill August 23, 2015. The Albert Heijn in Hoek van Holland is located 150 meters away from the railwaystation at Prins Hendrikstraat and costs 17 euro per day. Valid after 9 am Monday till Friday and the other 2 days the whole day.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Was thinking more about a short trip by train, say Rotterdam to Brussels maybe.

Can I recommend Antwerp, if only for the multi-level central station.
If freight's more your thing, possibly Antwerp Berchem.
Alternatively, Venlo, on the German border, looked like it might be interesting when I passed through the other year - NS and non-NS passenger services, and varied freight in the sidings as well. I only changed trains there though, so others might have better info.

Veteran Member
Venlo may be good for freight but is boring for passenger unless the Emmerich route is blocked and international trains are diverted.

I'm assuming Paul will have a Dutchflyer which is now a day ticket in NL - but only good as far as Rosendaal towards Brussels.

After a few ideas I have now decided to travel down to Brussels for the day.

Amsterdam out on 11:17 Thalys
and return
Brussels to Rotterdam IC

Can people advise is there much difference in the classes of travel, is it worth going 1st Class.?

Status
Not open for further replies.