• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Amtrak Amfleet 1 replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just scrolling through Twitter and came across this in the International Rail Journal:

AMTRAK issued a Request for Proposals (RFP) on January 18 for a contract to replace its fleet of 470 Amfleet I and ex-Metroliner coaches.

Amtrak says the base order will comprise “75 trainsets or their railcar equivalents” for use on Washington DC- New York – Boston Northeast Corridor (NEC) Northeast Regional service and adjacent state-supported routes, including the Empire Service, Ethan Allen Express, Maple Leaf, Adirondack, Vermonter, Downeaster, Carolinian, Pennsylvanian, Keystone Service, Virginia Service and New Haven/Springfield Service trains.

The new trains will offer improved passenger Wi-Fi, larger windows, improved climate control systems and completely new designs for toilets and inter-vehicle gangways.

The trains will feature bi-directional operating capability which Amtrak says “will minimise endpoint turnaround times and provide operating efficiency.”

The new fleet will feature all necessary equipment for Positive Train Control technology, meet recently updated federal Tier I safety standards for equipment operating at speeds of up to 200km/h, and adhere to all accessibility requirements under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

“Nearly half of Amtrak’s annual ridership is comprised of trips along the Northeast Corridor and adjoining corridors, and this new state-of-the-art equipment will provide customers with an enjoyable and efficient travel experience,” said Amtrak vice president of corporate planning Mr Byron Comati. “While Amtrak has recently refurbished the interiors of its Amfleet I cars with new seating upholstery and carpeting, the age of the fleet and industry-standard lead times for new equipment requires that the replacement effort for this workhorse fleet begins now.”

The Amfleet I replacement is part of Amtrak’s modernisation of the NEC, which also includes the replacement of the Acela fleet with new Alstom Avelia Liberty trains and improvements to major stations in New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Wasington DC.

Looks like a big order for Amtrak. I wonder who will respond. I get the impressing that usually even if its a overseas company they tend to manufacture in the US (those Siemens locomotives that Amtrak have bought recently for example).

Still, considering the current state of things over there good to see that Amtrak are looking to invest. I've always thought that the Amfleets were getting on a bit (though that's only from looking at dates of build, sadly I've never used them).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
Just scrolling through Twitter and came across this in the International Rail Journal:

Looks like a big order for Amtrak. I wonder who will respond. I get the impressing that usually even if its a overseas company they tend to manufacture in the US (those Siemens locomotives that Amtrak have bought recently for example).

Still, considering the current state of things over there good to see that Amtrak are looking to invest. I've always thought that the Amfleets were getting on a bit (though that's only from looking at dates of build, sadly I've never used them).

Likely to be either; Siemens, Bombardier or Kawasaki.

k-c-p

Siemens has just won a contract in Canada to supply bi-directional rolling stock to VIA Rail. So, they might have something in place that could be used for the Amtrak bid as well.

AndrewNewens

The 'must be built in the USA' rule has applied to all public procurement contracts in the US for quite some time and pre-dates the current POTUS. Bit of an inconvenient truth for anyone placing much hope is a super-duper UK/US trade deal post Brexit.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The FRA has just modified the structural safety standards which may may it easier for European designs to comply. However that may come with a restriction on use with grade crossings.

American federally funded stuff is subject to "buy American" legislation which generally means at least assembly in the States (not sure about Canada).

Groningen

Established Member
We will first have to see how the funding goes. It is the USA after all.

On Moderation
Siemens has just won a contract in Canada to supply bi-directional rolling stock to VIA Rail. So, they might have something in place that could be used for the Amtrak bid as well.
Siemens also supplied the coaching stock for the Brightline service - the US version of the their "Viaggio Comfort" loco-hauled stock, derived from the RailJet stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.