• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

An Early Monorail in Uganda!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been enjoying Adrian Garner's book "Monorails of the 19th Century." I discovered that the first rail link between what was at the time Port Kampala and Kampala itself was a monorail!

Rolling stock was propelled along the line by bullocks rather than any form of mechanical propulsion.

The line was less than 8 miles long and lasted no more than a few years.

These are the details:

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/02/28/a-monorail-in-kampala

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Very interesting -- thanks. I'd been aware of the Patiala State Monorail Trainway (mentioned in the link -- a steam loco from it preserved at India's National Rail Museum, New Delhi); but not that this monorail-construction variety was called the Ewing system -- or that as well as in Patiala, a number of other such lines had operated, including this one in Uganda.

Whimsically, the name conjures thoughts of the lengthy TV drama serial Dallas, highly popular a few decades back: involving the turbulent doings of the fabulously wealthy and not very principled Ewing family, who seemingly owned large swathes of Texas. The notion occurs, that if the makers of this drama had thought to have the family's estates served by Ewing monorail lines, managed by the family: they might have increased their viewing figures by a fair number of railway enthusiasts :smile: .

Taunton

Established Member
Rolling stock was propelled along the line by bullocks rather than any form of mechanical propulsion.
This could have suited the Listowel & Ballybunion monorail, where if cattle (apparently a regular freight) were to be carried they had to be in pairs, one each side of the central rail. If their special wagons had the floors removed the cattle could then have propelled the train by being driven to walk along ...

Calthrop

Established Member
This could have suited the Listowel & Ballybunion monorail, where if cattle (apparently a regular freight) were to be carried they had to be in pairs, one each side of the central rail. If their special wagons had the floors removed the cattle could then have propelled the train by being driven to walk along ...

There's only one wheel on the line,
And the cows are the power and the freight, too:
Sure there isn't a railway so fine,
Not even the Guayaquil & Quito.

(And if you think that's a forced rhyme, you should see some of the things which our Irish friends get up to in that area.)

AndrewE

Established Member
I have been enjoying Adrian Garner's book "Monorails of the 19th Century." I discovered that the first rail link between what was at the time Port Kampala and Kampala itself was a monorail!

The line was less than 8 miles long and lasted no more than a few years.

These are the details:

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/02/28/a-monorail-in-kampala
I think this is more-or-less how the Mestre to Venice trams work, but with rubber-tyred road wheels at the corner of each vehicle.

dazzler

I think this is more-or-less how the Mestre to Venice trams work, but with rubber-tyred road wheels at the corner of each vehicle.

With the Ewing system, the steel rail was used for propulsion, weight bearing and guidance. With the Translohr (and similar) systems, the steel rail is only for guidance - propulsion and weight bearing is done only through the rubber-tyred road wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.