• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

An example of court outcome,

Status
Not open for further replies.

richw

Veteran Member
Spotted the following example of what a court may issue for fare evasion, from my local newspaper, The West Briton, date 27/6/13, I spotted the following example in their crime section:

ANNA MISACK, 23, of New Street, Falmouth, was convicted in her absence at Truro Magistrates' Court of travelling on a railway without paying the fare en route near Falmouth on December 9 and was fined £400 and told to pay £132 compensation

Being caught near Falmouth means that the furthest she travelled on this service was Truro, which has barriers, so potentially an intermediate station unless in the evening. The fare from Truro to Falmouth, is anytime £5 return, or off-peak £4 return.
Seems a very expensive £5 saved.
Suggests there was a lack of co-operation or unwillingness to pay onboard, as staff always offer ticket sales onboard on the branchline.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

revenueadvice

You wouldn't believe how many people refuse to pay for tickets even if the are is only £3. Plus a lot lie about where they have come from and just give the last stop. I always try and explain to people to at least pay for the journey and I will issue a part paid penalty fare most of the time but so many just don't want to pay so I go with the MG11. Maybe they will learn...

island

Veteran Member
Could also have been passing an open ticket office at the destination having been unable t pay before or during the journey.

Flamingo

Established Member
A little birdie has told me that FGW will be looking for more prosecutions in the near future...

bnm

Established Member
There's a birdie that told me similar. Ex-copper involved in revenue protection for FGW.

Can't call him little though.... someone you'd think twice about going toe-to-toe with....

richw

Veteran Member
Could also have been passing an open ticket office at the destination having been unable t pay before or during the journey.

There isn't any ticket offices at or near Falmouth, all unmanned stations, except truro, so its pay on board anyway. Truro has 1 tvm and 3-4 ticket windows and I've never seen a queue of more than 1 person, and that was late evening when only 1 window was manned,

RPI

Established Member
Or maybe it was a simple "no ticket, no money". The RPI team at the west end of FGW are very active and always have been!

455driver

Veteran Member
Or maybe it was a simple "no ticket, no money". The RPI team at the west end of FGW are very active and always have been!

How dare you, that would mean it was the passengers fault which can never be the case on here!

Maybe the railstaff robbed her? ;)

Flamingo

Established Member
An overheard exchange by a colleague I have quoted before;

Passenger (who had missed his stop because he had his headphones on) - "I'm the customer here, are you trying to tell me it's MY fault?"

Guard - "Of course I'm not saying that, sir. I'm just explaining it's not ours."

Established Member
Passenger (who had missed his stop because he had his headphones on) - "I'm the customer here, are you trying to tell me it's MY fault?"

Ah, the old 'I had my headphones on' excuse. As far as I'm aware, headphones don't also affect you eyes.

Eagle

Established Member
Ah, the old 'I had my headphones on' excuse. As far as I'm aware, headphones don't also affect you eyes.

And also because it's obviously the guard's duty to tap every passenger on the shoulder when their station's coming up (obviously he knows instantly where everyone on the train's going, he should remember from checking the tickets). Maybe there should be a way to broadcast the train announcements to people's headphones. Perhaps that's what the headphone sockets on Voyagers should have done.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
And also because it's obviously the guard's duty to tap every passenger on the shoulder when their station's coming up

... and subsequently be sued for assault. <D

Flamingo

Established Member
Can we nominate who we think would make the best back end of the horse?

455driver

Veteran Member
I didnt start it, Ainsworth did! ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Can we nominate who we think would make the best back end of the horse?

I have been called an A#$£hole twice this week so I dont mind. :lol:

Antman

Established Member
The fact that she didn't even bother to attend court, or presumably offer any defence, makes me wonder if the fine will ever be paid. If she is a foriegn national she may well have left the country anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.