• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

An Irish Quiz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eire Sprinter

(I propose to post answers no earlier than Friday but it could be after this).

1. Name the two principal railway termini in Dublin.

2. The Enterprise runs between the cities of ___ and ____ (half mark for each placename!)

3. Name the missing station in this list of the four intermediate stations on the now mothballed South Wexford line: Bridgetown, Wellingtonbridge, Ballycullane, ___________ (Clues: it was sadly the location of a bombing in World War II and three local people lost their lives and it is not too far from Ireland’s longest railway bridge).

4. The largest gap on the railway map of Britain and Ireland may well be the significant area of the North West and North of Ireland that is devoid of any mainline railways whatsoever. Name two such counties devoid of railways:

5. The station of Cahir has something of an “olde worlde” atmosphere. Is Cahir an intermediate station on (a) the Limerick Junction-Clonmel-Waterford (Plunkett) line? or, (b) the Limerick (Colbert) – Ennis – Galway (Céannt) line?

6. Following is a list of passenger lines opened in Ireland in the last few years. However the list has an “odd man”/”odd woman” out to be found!

(a) Midleton – Glounthaune (Cóbh Junction near Cork); (b) Clonsilla – M3 Parkway (M3 Parkway has also been referred to as Pace); (c) Westport – Achill; (d) Ennis – Gort – Athenry.

7. From which Irish station do additional trains sometimes operate in conjunction with visiting cruise liners at the adjacent berth?

8. The DART electric train service in Dublin has been a resounding success. What do the initials stand for?

9. The only integrated rail station cum ferry terminal remaining on the island of Ireland is the (open) station of?

10. Iarnród Éireann (Irish Rail) was formed in: (i) 1927; (ii) 1834; (iii) 1983; (iv) 1987.

The best of luck!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
Do we post the answers here or PM them, or just keep them to ourselves?

Also, I don't mean to be rude/obnoxious/uppity/whatever, but this is pretty easy.

Eire Sprinter

Good question, I should have clarified that.

Either post here or keep to yourself.

I feel that either of those options is probably best until I get an estimation of interest for possible future quizzes (don't want to run the risk of a hundred messages in my inbox at the moment!)

Hope that is in order.

I suppose it's "starters"! The main course has yet to be served!!

Ivo

Established Member
OK then; let's see...

Connelly; Heuston
Dublin; Belfast
Campile
Donegal; Fermanagh
Limerick Junction to Waterford Plunkett
Westport to Achill
Dun Laoghaire? [guess]
Dublin Area Rapid Transit
Rosslare Europort

N.B.: We had a quiz fad last Spring, started by GNERman using Sporcle. I posted two such quizzes, which in all honesty weren't that popular (probably too hard among other things): [#1]/[#2] I was going to do a third but the demand wasn't sufficient to justify it.

Eire Sprinter

If readers of this have a few spare moments I'd appreciate if they'd use one of the following best fit descriptors to rank the quiz: easy/ about right/ difficult.
Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the feedback, Ivo. By the way what is "Sporcle"?

Ivo

Established Member
For a first quiz I would say the difficulty is about right - something I got badly wrong in making the first one too hard. I would suggest that later instalments need more challenge more.

As for Sporcle, it is a games/quiz website that users can upload their own challenges too. GNERman started the Sporcle fad on here; his Sporcle page can be found here. (I hadn't heard of it either until he introduced us all to it.)

Eire Sprinter

1. Heuston and Connolly (half mark each)
2. Dublin and Belfast (half mark each)
3. Campile (one mark)
4. Any two of: Co. Monaghan, Co. Cavan, Co. Fermanagh, Co. Tyrone and Co. Donegal (half mark each)
5. (a) the Limerick Junction-Clonmel-Waterford (Plunkett) line (one mark)
6. (c) Westport – Achill (one mark)
7. Cóbh (one mark)
8. Dublin Area Rapid Transit (one mark) **see notes
9. Larne Harbour (one mark)
10. (iv) 1987 (one mark)
In fact its 25th anniversary is only days away (2nd Feb)

Notes:
* Spelling is not being tested so if the word is recognisable you get the mark (or half mark).
** for Q. 8 all four words must be correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.