• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

And they say our trains are too crowded...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Seen that at Manchester Victoria on a Saturday evening. Only difference was that there weren't any uniformed officials to help push us on !

Nym

Established Member
And there in japan it's 30tph and 8 car units all round, as apposed to round here it's 4 car pacers at 2 - 4tph crammed like that where a 6 car 156 would fit everywhere.

stanley T

That looks like between Shinjuku and Tokyo stations at the peak of the morning rush hour, which has become a stock image of Japan and quite misleading. A single line connects Shinjuku, where a host of private lines have terminuses, and the Marunouchi business district. Off peak the Tokyo Subway seems less crowded than the London Underground. Try Victoria - Green Park at 8.45 am on a weekday.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
That looks like between Shinjuku and Tokyo stations at the peak of the morning rush hour, which has become a stock image of Japan and quite misleading. A single line connects Shinjuku, where a host of private lines have terminuses, and the Marunouchi business district. Off peak the Tokyo Subway seems less crowded than the London Underground. Try Victoria - Green Park at 8.45 am on a weekday.

Then again the same can be said for the UK. Look at how many commuter services here are crushed during the rush hour but quiet off peak. Only zone 1 on the Underground is busy even off peak. Most off peak underground or mainline trips I've had in London off peak and outside zone 1 would have seemed quiet with a 153.

Nym

Established Member
Yeah, but there are a fair few routes around me here that are busy off peak, not as busy as peak, but you try finding a service leaving Bolton southbound for Oxford Road you can easily get a seat on...

stut

Established Member
And there in japan it's 30tph and 8 car units all round, as apposed to round here it's 4 car pacers at 2 - 4tph crammed like that where a 6 car 156 would fit everywhere.

That's not quite universal, though - I've been on DOO, 2-car diesel trains in Japan, too!

(And in this case, DOO means that the driver is also the conductor...)

33056 said:
At least they are actually inside the train, unlike some trains in Bangladesh

Having done some hopping around the Mumbai area on suburban trains, it seems that spaces hanging out the door (or indeed on top on non-electrified routes) are the premium spaces. You get the views and the breeze, you're able to jump off before the crowds try to barge on, and you seriously have to stand your ground to keep it.

island

Veteran Member
I've been on Japanese trains at peak commuting but they never got quite to that stage.

Also worth noting is that in Japan there is absolutely nobody who makes a phone call on the train!

stut

Established Member
Goodness, no, you'd get shouted down for that, although the vestibules on peak time Shinkansens can get quite crowded with callers! The Shinakansens also feature a "multipurpose room", which you can ask to use if you're feeling unwell.

Similarly, you wouldn't find loud music blaring out of someone's headphones, although children's video games are tolerated rather well...

The best thing about rail travel in Japan, though, is the ekiben - the station bento. I've had some wonderful meals from these vendors! Still not sure about fish noodles and natto for breakfast.

stut

Established Member
Ah, that's another thing, the bowing.

I had a pleasure of travelling on the (largely single track) JR Nara line over the summer, sitting right at the very front on the return, with a see-through panel into the cab. It was fascinating to watch.

Before departure, a supervisor boarded (there was a bow and a salute), and went through an extensive checklist, inspecting all sorts of things (I have to say, it was spotless, too). He left, there was more bowing and saluting. As we left, I noticed the driver doing an odd gesture (a very expansive point forward) every time we passed from double track to single.

PaulLothian

As we left, I noticed the driver doing an odd gesture (a very expansive point forward) every time we passed from double track to single.

An interesting way of improving memory of a situation/event - I have used fairly similar techniques with people when working on anxiety problems (such as worrying they have not locked the door) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointing_and_calling

Advanced driver training uses some allied techniques (commentary driving)

Trog

Established Member
Having done some hopping around the Mumbai area on suburban trains, it seems that spaces hanging out the door (or indeed on top on non-electrified routes) are the premium spaces. You get the views and the breeze, you're able to jump off before the crowds try to barge on, and you seriously have to stand your ground to keep it.

I have read that the Euston - Watford DC line service used to run with the doors open in the summer. With the original sliding door stock.

I wonder if London Overground could be persuaded that the practice has grandfather rights? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.