• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Andy's Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
19th August 2017 - Lancashire Day Ranger

An early start saw me take 158857 on the 05:20 Nottingham - Liverpool (but just as far as Manchester Piccadilly). While I was waiting to get on it in Nottingham I was marvelling at the sight of 6 158's all coupled together in the station awaiting separating and preparing. This early 'Liverpool' seems to take a slightly different routing to the main daytime service and doesn't require a reverse at Sheffield.

On arrival at Manchester I walked down to Victoria station and got on 158795 to Hebden Bridge. A nice run out into the countryside but unfortunately we got stuck for 20 minutes just outside Todmorden due to a unit blocking the station after a brake issue.

Eventually arrived at Hebden Bridge and had a walk around the town before returning to the station for the 9:52 towards Blackpool North. Eventually late running 158902 turned up, the guard blaming the delay on a fault with the unit. We definitely weren't running at full speed and as we were now full with standees I bailed out at Blackburn.

From here I got on the unit is planned to change to in Preston, 142039 to Blackpool South which was a 'proper' 142, bouncing away and bus type seats.

After a walk across Blackpool and some chips I got to Blackpool North, but unfortunately the Manchester Airport train I was catching was expected 30 late. Eventually I was able to board the double 156 combo (I travelled in 156489) to Preston before a Transpennine move in the form of 350406 to Manchester Piccadilly.

After such an early start I decided to call it a day and head back to Nottingham and my car but I was pleased to find the booked double 158 set was in fact a 156/158 combo which even though not unusual it was still nice to travel south in 156497 which was running late,apparently due to an involuntary emergency brake application earlier in the journey which necessitated a safety inspection!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That early train you got from Nottingham is booked to use Dore South Curve, which links the mainline to the Hope Valley line just before the tunnel.

A bit of a long day but a nice bit of variety :)

Andy Pacer

Established Member
16th September 2017 - Greater Manchester Rail Ranger

Started at Nottingham with an EMT service north to Stockport courtesy of 158847 and 158785 lightly loaded early in the morning.

On arrival at Stockport I purchased my rail ranger and plotted my next move, I had no great plan other than to try and visit some new shacks. 142046 was my first ride along to winning shack Hazel Grove and then after a short break for a wander around the locality before joining 150204 and 150206 along the line to Woodsmoor.

Rather than waiting for the next service I decided to walk along to Davenport where I caught 142046 again on its return journey. This took me to another new shack Levenshulme which was quite interesting watching the longer distance services running through before my next train, 323224 on the Crewe service, but just as far as Heaton Chapel. I then had the pleasure of getting wet on the station before double winners 150112 and 156464 took me back to Manchester Piccadilly.

I then wanted to get out to another extremity, so opted for the line out to Hadfield and Glossop. 323234 was first to Hadfield, before a walk to Glossop and 323235 as far as Glossop, and then rejoining 323234 from earlier to Broadbottom. The 3rd train on the Hadfield line 323225 then ferried me back to Manchester Piccadilly.

Next up was a run in another direction, so I took 150113 and 150143 to Altringham and then a slight change of scene with Arriva Sapphire 263 back into the city.

Short formed 158813 then took me back from Manchester Oxford Road to Nottingham, definitely a squeeze as this is usually a double 158 set, or at least a 156/158 combo....

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Having seen how busy those trains are when they're pairs, a single 158 must have been very unenjoyable!

Good day otherwise though!

Andy Pacer

Established Member
It was incredibly busy. They run some single units early in the morning up to Liverpool which tend to be fairly busy running back south but they are booked as doubles the rest of the day.

Yes, an interesting day!

Andy Pacer

Established Member
18th November 2017 - Some Arriva Trains Wales Action

A fairly unplanned trip into Wales, beginning by parking at Marston Green and heading into Birmingham New Street on 350375. A short wait then until my first ATW service of the day, the 07:24 to Holyhead with dud 158818 in control, this took me to Shrewsbury. On arrival 158818 was coupled onto another 158 before it carried on its journey.

About an hour in Shrewsbury gave time for a wander round to the bus station before some observations back at the train station including the class 153 service down the Heart of Wales line. I then caught double winners 158834 and 158822 to Aberystwyth somewhere i'd not visited for many years, an uneventful but pleasant journey along a line that's been on my list for a while. Had an hour at Aberystwyth, time for a quick wander around and to have a chip move at a fantastic place across the road from the station, £3.40 for a generous portion of chips, beans and cheese hit the spot!

I then begun my return moves on 158821 which was operating what seemed to be an additional timetabled journey supplementing the standard 2 hourly frequency with a 12:30 departure which just goes as far as Shrewsbury. I bailed at Machynlleth somewhere that had also been on my list, and an opportunity to scratch another shack, before then joining 158819 which had come from Pwllheli and then joined with 158838 having come from Aberystwyth which transported me all the way back to Birmingham New Street. A slight delay around Wolverhampton & Smethwick Galton Bridge got me back to New Street around 10 mins late, but within easy reach of 350235 taking me back to Marston Green.

An enjoyable day, not many units, but nice scenery and an area i've not sampled for many years.

Dhassell

The delays around Smethwick where due to Trespass! I was at Birmingham at the time that happened. Sounded like a nice adventure into central wales!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Aber is somewhere I used to go to often years ago, but I haven't been for ages. It's not as appealing as it used to be for some reason.

Certainly a nice and relaxing day had there, and yes at various points during the day Aber to Shrewsbury is hourly. Not all day though!

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Heart of England 3 in 7 Rover - Day 1 - Saturday 23rd December 2017

A few days off over the Christmas period has inspired me to do a multi day rover, so the 3/7 Heart of England took my fancy as it is local-ish to me but still gives me a chance to do some areas new to me, and uncovered by the various day rangers. I'd chosen a day of XC industrial action which did make things more difficult - but who wants life to be easy?!

Saturday was the first day, I wanted nothing to do with Christmas preparation as i've been fairly organised this year, so a day on the rails was order of the day.

I made a later start than usual with the 09:12 from Syston into Leicester, formed of 156498. I'm down to two EMT 156's so the chances of getting winners is getting less and less. My next move to Derby looked busy (only 1 train per hour rather than the usual 2 due to engineering) so I opted to take the HST up to East Midlands Parkway in the hope of a winner or two. Unfortunately it was 43083 and 43064 which seem to be a regular combo on my weekly trips to Luton. On arrival at East Midlands Parkway I waited a few minutes for 222005 to roll in, very full, and took a stand in the vestibule area as we left East Midlands Parkway - little did I know I was set to return here later...

I'd got a couple of notes of times for the XC HST sets, but in the event it didn't appear any were out presumably due to the strike action. One was scheduled for the 10:29 Derby to Exeter St Davids which I had planned to use as far as Cheltenham Spa had it been an HST, but strangely it was only shown as going to Birmingham New Street despite the temporary timetable suggesting otherwise. There were a horrendous amount of people waiting (there are usually the hourly Cardiff Central services to help convey people to Birmingham) so when the 4 car Voyager arrived I decided to pass. Half of the people were left behind, luckily i'd already decided to take the double dog box towards Crewe, formed of double winners 153321 and 153383.

I was still hopeful of getting to the south of the area so was plotting a bit of a plan as I went. I bailed at Stoke on Trent as I knew I would have a half hour or so wait for an XC Reading service which would at least get me down towards Birmingham. A quick walk into Stoke town centre and a visit to Sainsburys for a PNB, and a very nice warm sausage roll then I was back on the platform for dud 220005 (despite only having been on 3 class 220's before...) and winner 221141 to Wolverhampton. It was fairly busy but at least I got a seat.

I decided to bail at Wolverhampton as there was a Virgin service that would probably have more room to take me on the short journey to New Street, so 390046 was waiting for me and we made an almost on time departure at 12:45. I'd got my eye on a 13:12 departure to Exeter which RTT claimed would be an HST but a suicidal male seemed to put pay to this as we were held outside Smethwick for a while, eventually arriving into New Street +20. The Exeter service was still there showing 'delayed', despite the Virgin train manager announcing that anyone with ideas of making the connection had missed it. As it was another double Voyager set, and packed full, I decided to pass.

A walk down to Moor Street was tempting, as i'm always interested in some Chiltern action, and it's a network quite difficult to access on rovers. My decision paid off, as the 13:55 to Marylebone was in and was winner 68015 and I didn't realise until I was on it that it was the 'Santa Train' set that did the special last Saturday. I was finally headed south and to my next winning shack Banbury. I had a +4 onto winner 165001 (I always like the first of any batch) to Kings Sutton which doesn't boast a particularly frequent service. Fortunately I only had about a 20 minute wait here, so I took a walk around the village. Interesting place that boasts a train station but no shops (apart from a Post Office that had closed at 1pm). Back to the station I went before GWR 165134 arrived to take me down to Oxford. A quick connection here to take me back north (I intend to return to Oxford later in the week) was a bit of an own goal as it was the same double XC Voyager as i'd taken earlier, 220005 and 221141. It was +9 on arrival but around +25 by the time we got to Birmingham New Street where I had a rush for the 17:22 to Leicester (if it was running). It was, and was packed, but luckily it was a double set which helped and double winners 170110 and 170113. I had to stand until Nuneaton but at least I was on my way home.

We lost some time on the approach to Leicester and it was touch and go whether i'd make the 18:26 to Syston. It became academic anyway as it was cancelled due to a train fault. I was then met with a decision - wait an hour or catch the bus. I decided on neither and took a risky -2 connection at East Midlands Parkway (here we go again) on the basis that the train I was hoping to get was showing +6. One good thing, the HST had winner 43066 leading 43046 so another one in the book. The connection proved easy as the HST was on time, and the Sprinter was now showing +13. Eventually 156404 trundled in to take me back to Syston, slightly earlier than had I waited in Leicester for it to turn up there.

All in all a slow start to the day, but certainly got better, and looking forward to my other two days later this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.