• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Andy's Wanderings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Quite a few new shacks on the North Wales Coast line :)

Agreed about waiting for nicer weather for those remote 2-hourly shacks west of Llandundo Junction

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ah you lot are wimps! I've done Breich and Addiewell the day before Storm Gertrude made its full on arrival! Wind so fierce it was trying to blow you backwards, then that rain...Thank Goodness for the bus shelter, not perfect in the conditions but it was better than nothing!

A nice and doubtlessly welcome trip there Andy, jealous of 175106 as I've only 133 miles off it! You've got to shacks I'm nowhere near achieving too...

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
A couple of great reads there! I've been bowled out with that tram before too but I now know that it's only a tram on Fridays (and I think Saturdays and Sundays but I'm not certain). That might have changed with the timetable change though.

50 minutes at Prestatyn would have been horrible by the way... Ouch to the 175 replacing the shovel too.

andyb2706

Having left my alarm set for 05.30 due to being on earlies the day before and on Christmas day I was able to have a coffee and a shower while still trying to figure out as to where I will be going today, once ready I left home and headed for the tram stop still none the wiser as to whether it will be a CDR or WMDR or today, although I am slowly leaning towards the CDR to really face Barbara full on....plus it is cheaper, I’ve decided to make my final decision as I approach the ticket office at Manchester Piccadilly.

At the tram stop I don’t have long to wait, but with having decided today to head to Brooklands I knew the tram would be a dud and it was in the form of 3059 for my trip to Piccadilly. At 0730 in the morning the tram is quiet, might have something to do with the fact the all normal sane people are still tucked up in bed with it being a Saturday and Christmas Eve.

At Manchester Piccadilly I head to the ticket office and it was not until I was at the counter I decided on a CDR for today. After purchasing the ticket I head off to get my breakfast from Greggs.....ah, my usual ritual before returning to the station. I find that the next train to Crewe is the all stopping service which is a no go from the start! So, my next option is the Cross Country service to Stoke-on-Trent, which would mean it would take forever for me to get to the area I want to do today (all will become clearer later – Ed.) So my final option would be the 0830 for Milford Haven which was half an hour off, so be it I will have to hang on wasting half an hour of travelling, or may be not, as I was logging my numbers I noted that I had committed a faux pas by being on my last page in my note book as I had already written in the back pages and I had not brought spare note book with so it was off to W.H.Smiths to buy a new book....where I nearly needed medical attention when I saw the prices of the note books, I found the cheapest one available for £2.99 and purchased it. I was then off to the platform for my train and was very happy to find it was required 175008 for haulage, not a bad start all in all and was well worth a half hour wait at Manchester Piccadilly.

Arriving at Crewe bang on time I am set a dilemma as we arrive a required 153303 is in the bay platform for a stopping service which includes 3 stations on the CDR, all 3 stations are also required, do I stick to my original plan or change it and head a bit further south, I have 16 minutes to decide before this train departs so I head to the other end of the station and await the arrival of my planned train to decide. At 0915 dud 150208 arrives to form the 0923 to Chester, I instantly decide to stick to my original idea as the overall rewards could be greater than the short term gain so I board the dud 150208 and head to Chester.

We arrive at Chester 2 minutes early which gives me 1 minute to get over to platform 7 for the Merseyrail train, unfortunately it was not quite long enough but in hindsight it was for the best as a PNB was had while waiting. During the wait a required 175103 for Warrington Bank Quay arrived and I was tempted to abandon the plan yet again but decided not to, and was my faith in my plan rewarded? No, a dud 507015 arrived to take me to my first required shack of the day.

At Bebington I score my first new shack of the day and with only a +3 to change platforms I don’t hang around, I needn’t have worried as it is a quick change as long as you are in the middle coach when you depart your train. Unfortunately a dud 508117 arrives to take me forward, two new shacks in 8 minutes is nice but I would like some new units as well.

I leave the train at Spital and have a +5 for my next train and when it turns up it is also dud unit in the form of 508117, which takes me a short two hop journey to my next new shack Rock Ferry, where with a 15 minute fester I decide to go and find some food for my lunch later on. Back at the station I strike it lucky and required 508138 arrives to take me forward to my next new shack of Birkenhead Head Central.

With a comfortable 4 minutes fester I was able to amble across the bridge for my next train back towards Chester and a dud 508117 arrived to take me, as we passed through Green Lane I noticed a required 507 going in the opposite direction and after consulting RTT I figured out I would be able to pick it up later from Bebington.

At my next new shack of Port Sunlight I left the dud 508117 and waited for my next train which turned out to be required 507009 which took me one stop along the line to Bebington where I was to pick up the unit I saw later, and it all worked out when required 507030 arrived to take me back to Port Sunlight where with a tight +2 was made for a dud 507029 to take me to the next new shack of Green Lane, or so I thought. I was so busy working on this log is was too late when it dawned on me the train was just leaving Green Lane, at that point I decided to put the log down until I was on the way home, so an unplanned and second visit to Birkenhead Central was made where I crossed to the opposite platform and boarded dud 507018.

At Green Lane I did manage to leave the train this time and ironically I still got the same train I would have if I had got off here when I should have done. Yet again it was dud 507015 as far as my next new shack.

At Hamilton Square I leave the dud 507015 and now I have completed the entire length of line and stations on the Chester/Ellesmere Port section of the Wirral Lines (almost there now – Ed.) I now turn my attention to the remainder of the Wirral Lines and board dud 507003 which takes me as far as another new shack which this time is Wallasey Village.

As I leave the train at Wallasey Village it’s the first time I feel Barbara’s wind hit me and the weather seems to have taken a turn for the worse, with a +7 I make a leisurely stroll across to the other platform and it is a bit of a walk. Dud 508141 takes me on to the new shack of Conway Park where a +4 turned into a +7 and resulted in a squeaky bump moment seeing that I only had a +4 at my next stop and I was a bit of a walk and with this delay it was down to a +1 and seeing I had all my moves planned for the rest of the trip it was a bit worrying. Finally dud 507011 arrived to take me forward, I was now in the hands of the railway God’s and just had to sit back and be taken for a ride.
At Wallasey Grove Road we had picked a minute up so I now had a +2 together across, so with a quick spurt of energy (don’t know where that came from!- Ed.) I made the to the opposite platform for a dud 508134 to take me to my final new Birkenhead shack (how many stations does Birkenhead need!!! – Ed.)

At Birkenhead Park I have +12 to wait for my next train (or you serious? The only island platform which takes all of 30 seconds to cross and I have a +12! – Ed) which is a dud 508127 which I rain on to my next new shack of Hoylake, during the journey I make note of where all the footbridges are so that I can strategically position myself so that I can make the quickest of platform swaps.
At Hoylake I’m down to my usual single digit festers again so with a +4 I make my way to the opposite platform and board another dud 507004 to return me to the new shack of Meols, where with a +5 I make the change to dud 508112 to Manor Park, by the way the shacks come thick and fast now!
At Manor Park a reasonable +6 is had and my luck with units is still no better when dud 508127 arrives for my trip to Leasowe. At Leasowe I have a +10 before my next train which is also dud 507016, which I remain on as far as Moreton.

At Moreton, which is my penultimate Merseyrail station I have a very tight +2 to cross to the opposite platform for my next train which was yet again a dud 508112.

Arriving at Bidston I leave the train and with this being my final Merseyrail shack (although I still need 5 class 507’s and 6 class 508’s for haulage – Ed.) there is a sense of achievement, now I am Bidston I wonder what I am going to do!! Of course, there is no reason to kid, at Bidston there is only one thing to do and that is join the Borderlines. Seeing that I have not done this section of the Borderlines, I would have liked to get several of the stations between Shotton and Bidston however with it being Christmas Eve the trains were finishing early so I had to start heading off home soon so when a dud 150241 (even these I can’t get new ones! – Ed.) I board and head off to Shotton about 6 minutes late.

Arriving at Shotton and with the train being late I do not have the time to transfer to the opposite platform to pick the train up that was standing there to go back to Bidston so I had to make my way to the lower level section of the station and wait 30 minutes for the next train to Chester. When the train turned up it was also a dud 175104.

Arriving at Chester I have 10 minutes to make my way over to pick up the next shuttle service to, hoping that the train would have been a different one from this morning I was disappointed. Boarding dud 150208 we leave on time to Crewe, during the journey I nod off having not realised how tired I must have been. I must say these trains are connecting very well because on arriving at Crewe into platform 9 (the bay platform) I only have a short walk onto platform 6 for my service back to Manchester which was due in 12 minutes but yet again it was a dud 175007.

Arriving back at Manchester Piccadilly my plan was to head home, however on pulling in to the platform I look across and see a pair of 150 units formed of dud 150272 but also a required 150111, I head round to the platform and plan to take the 150111 to the first available stop as long as it is not too far away, luckily it was operating a service to Chester so I boarded the train for a trip to Stockport. Arriving at Stockport I cross to the Manchester bound platform and let the first service go as it was formed of a dud 323 unit as the following service was a Virgin Train service so I had a chance, but it didn’t work out as a dud 390002 arrived to take me back to Manchester. This time on arriving I decide that is that and head down to the Metrolink for a dud 3049 to take me back to Brooklands.

All in all, not a bad day. Storm Barbara has not caused me much of a problem, but it was not too clever on the unit front but for shack clearing I have to say it has been stonking!!!!

NEW UNITS
150111, 175008, 507009, 507030, 508130.

NEW SHACKS
Bebington, Bidston, Birkenhead Central, Birkenhead Park, Conway Park, Green Lane, Hamilton Square, Hoylake, Leasowe, Manor Road, Meols, Moreton, Port Sunlight, Rock Ferry, Shotton, Spital, Wallasey Grove Road, Wallasey Village.

NEW TRACK
Bidston to Shotton.

Kite159

Veteran Member
A good little trip for Christmas Eve :)

Congrats on clearing mereseyrail for shacks and I can predict that in the autumn/winter next year you will be back to Liverpool to fester within the city centre to try and bag some of those required 507/508s :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Congratulations Andy for clearing MerseyRail shacks, and welcome to the club! I sympathise with finding required units as it is surprisingly difficult to get them in!

Certainly a better way to spend Frothmas Eve than grafting like I was! Mind you I don't envy you working Frothmas Day!

andyb2706

After having a few beers the night before with Tech we both agreed that the pint of Ghost Mild we had surely couldn’t have been 3.7%, could it!? Anyhow after freshening out we both headed out to Wythenshawe Park to pick up the tram to head into town to start a Beer Bash/South Pennine Day Rover and we boarded a dud 3081 for a short journey to St. Werburgh’s Road to see if we could pick anything new up from there. On arriving at St. Werburgh’s Road we have a 9-minute wait for our next tram and while we were waiting a required 3099 went towards East Didsbury, annoyingly we didn’t have the time to wait for its return later on so when a dud 3071 arrives we board the tram as far as Cornbrook where the tram terminated, can’t wait for another few days when the Manchester Airport line is extended through to Deansgate-Castlefield.

At Cornbrook there is only a short wait for a dud 3082 to Ashton to take us to Piccadilly station, on arriving at Piccadilly station we depart and go and get the tickets for the day before purchasing the usual breakfast from Greggs.
We meet up with Rob at the destination boards and head off straight for our first train which is dud 150114 which is working the 0849 to Sheffield which we take as far as Reddish North where we then have a 20-minute walk to our first new shack of the day which is Reddish South and wait for the Stalybridge Flyer, where we meet up with Noddy who is doing the same two shacks as we are doing, when the train arrives it is a dud 142014 for a one stop hop to Denton where myself, Tech, Rob and Noddy leave the train and grab a photograph of the train departing and put it straight up on Twitter and within a few minutes I receive a tweet and it transpires that two other Twitter followers where on the train as well just sat in front of us…only if we knew! At Denton we say farewell to Noddy who has prior arrangements for the remaining of the day and the three of us being a 40-minute walk to Guide Bridge to pick up our next train.

At Guide Bridge we have only have about 10-minutes to wait for a dud 323228 to take us back to Manchester Piccadilly where we have a provisions and PNB stop before heading off to the Middlesbrough service formed of 185141 to take us to Huddersfield and a visit to The Head of Steam on the station. After a 50-minute stay at Huddersfield we board a dud 142047 to take us to Marsden and a visit to The Railway pub with an hour until the next train we all enjoy a drink. For 5 minutes Rob disappears and when he does re-appear music is playing including a couple of Worzels songs and songs that have the word “drink” involved, He has only been programming the juke box!

Back at the station we board a dud 150135 to take us to our next stop which is Greenfield for a stop at Tesco for food and then a visit to The King Fisher pub where the ale was okay, but nothing to write home about and then a stroll back to another pub called The Railway outside Greenfield station. I have been in here a few times in the past and I have to say it was really poor today compared to past visits as half the beers were not available and I ended up having a Black Sheep and Rob had a Carling which he didn’t like and when both myself and Tech had a whiff of the larger we agreed with him as there was an awful smell to the drink. We couldn’t wait to get back to the station for the train and dud 142046 arrives to take us to Stalybridge and the buffet bar.

Stalybridge is where the moment of the trip occurred. I was stood at the bar and then noticed out of the corner of my eye I noticed Tech seemed to slump against the bar and I think if the bar hadn’t been there I do believe he would have been on the floor, a few minutes later I find out that unknown to himself he had ordered a beer that was 9.4% and cost £6, let’s just say two of us made use of this information for the rest of the trip to take the mickey out of Tech, to my surprise he did finish it off, which in hindsight might have been a mistake in the long run. It was time to move on so we left the pub and headed for the platform and a dud 185125 to take us back to Manchester Piccadilly.

Back at Piccadilly we have our final stroll of the day to the final new shack of the day of Ardwick station and board a dud 142056 (required for Tech though) to Ashburys and a mad dash across to the opposite platform as there was a train stood there and boarded a dud 323224 to take us back to Manchester Piccadilly, we didn’t have to rush really as the train wasn’t due to depart for 3 minutes.

Back at Piccadilly Tech is now worse for wear with the ciders and ales (including the 9.4%, £6 pint) he has drunk and help him sort out his ticket and Rob accompanies him to Stockport on the ATW due to it being Rob’s first 175 unit, I say farewell as my first required train of 220024 is stood on the adjacent platform and is booked to depart 5 minutes before the ATW 175 so I arrive at Stockport and position myself on the platform to meet them, Rob gets off the train but doesn’t see me and I locate where Tech is sat but he doesn’t see me as he is well gone and appears absolutely shattered. After the train departs myself and Rob spend a bit of time at Stockport until a pair of EMT 158’s arrive formed of a dud and required 158774 to take us back to Manchester Piccadilly where I say farewell to Rob.

I decide to have a stroll over to St. Peters Square and board a dud 3060 to take me through to Cornbrook followed by a dud 3071 back to Wythenshawe Park.

It was a good day, however a little bit less drinking and a little bit more trains may have been ideal.

noddy1878

Established Member
Great read Andy. Filled in a few more gaps! :lol: as I've said elsewhere good to meet you, although it was far to brief!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Top read that good sir! Yeah that beer really did see me stuffed, and agreed more trains would have been ideal. As would have been a winner tram or two, never mind!

andyb2706

Today I am off to London for a tube bash, so the alarm goes off at 0600 and after a freshen up I am off in the car to Manchester and after purchasing my Greggs breakfast I board a dud 390117 which is working the 0715 to London Euston, in first class with it being a Saturday. At London Euston I head off down to the underground and the queues are massive for the ticket machines so I head back upstairs to the railway booking office where there are no queues at the ticket machines and I quickly pick my ticket up and head back down to the underground. My first few trips are on the Northern line:

51604 Euston – Warren Street
51637 Warren Street – Goodge Street
51721 Goodge Street – Tottenham Court Road

At Tottenham Court Road I leave the Northern line to join the Central line and my planned mega trip on the Central line.

91234 Tottenham Court Road - Holborn
91307 Holborn – Chancery Lane
91109 Chancery Lane – St. Pauls
92452 St. Pauls – Bank
91005 Bank – Liverpool Street
93202 Liverpool Street – Bethnal Green
91297 Bethnal Green – Mile End
91117 Mile End – Stratford
92232 Stratford – Leyton
92100 Leyton – Leytonstone
93434 Leytonstone – Snaresbrook
91057 Snaresbrook – South Woodford
92340 South Woodford – Woodford

From Woodford I am now starting on new shacks and going to rattle off the line between Woodford and Leytonstone via Hainault.

92030 Woodford – Roding Valley
92165 Roding Valley – Chigwell
91091 Chigwell – Grange Hill
Grange Hill – Hainault
Hainault – Fairlop
Fairlop – Barkingside
Barkingside – Newbury Park
93004 Newbury Park – Gants Hill
Gants Hill – Redbridge
Redbridge – Wanstead
Wanstead – Leytonstone

The Central line loop at the east side of the line has now been completed, time to head over to the West side of the Central line.

93016 Leytonstone – Leyton
91067 Leyton – Stratford
93178 Stratford – Mile End
93464 Mile End – Bethnal Green
91073 Bethnal Green – Liverpool Street
92012 Liverpool Street – Bank
91193 Bank – St. Pauls
93062 St. Pauls – Chancery Lane
92248 Chancery Lane – Holborn
91147 Holborn – Tottenham Court Road
91139 Tottenham Court Road – Oxford Circus
92238 Oxford Circus – Bond Street
92448 Bond Street – Marble Arch
92159 Marble Arch – Queensway
93188 Queensway – Notting Hill Gate
92080 Notting Hill Gate – Holland Park
91051 Holland Park – Shepherd’s Bush
Shepherd’s Bush – White City
92150 White City – East Acton
91138 East Acton – North Acton
91135 North Acton – Hangar Lane
92129 Hangar Lane – Northolt
Northolt – South Ruislip
South Ruislip – Ruislip Gardens
Ruislip Gardens – West Ruislip

On arriving at West Ruislip that is the Central line completed and a stroll over to Ickenham to pick up the Metropolitan line to do the Piccadilly line towards Heathrow Airport, the plan was to go straight there but during the walk over I came across a beautiful pub in Ickenham called The Coach and Horses were a drink and pub grub was purchased. After I was suitably refreshed I headed off to the Underground station and only had a few minutes to wait to start my next lot of moves.

21109 Ickenham – Ruislip Manor
Ruislip Manor – Eastcoate
Eastcoate – Rayners Lane
Rayners Lane – South Harrow
South Harrow – Sudbury Hill

At Sudbury Hill, it transpired that the Piccadilly line to Acton Town was suffering from delays due to shortage of “Transport Operators” (or train drivers to you and me) so I decide to head back to the Metropolitan line to work along there.

116 Sudbury Hill – Rayners Lane
21026 Rayners Lane – West Harrow
West Harrow – Harrow on the Hill
21061 Harrow on the Hill – Moor Park

From Moor Park I am about to leave the zone 1-6 travelcard area so transfer to my contactless card for the next lot of moves and seeing the amount of travelling I do I am presently surprised it cost me only £4.60

21056 Moor Park – Croxley
Croxley – Watford
Watford – Moor Park
21027 Moor Park – Rickmansworth
Rickmansworth – Chorleywood
Chorleywood – Chalfont & Latimer
21104 Chalfont & Latimer – Chesham
21103 Chesham – Chalfont & Latimer
165030 Chalfont & Latimer – Amersham
165039 Amersham – London Marylebone

It is now 2025, and I have a train at 2100 and should have a few more after that as well, so with only two stations remaining on the Metropolitan line to get I decide to hunt them out before heading home.

3245 Marylebone – Baker Street
21074 Baker Street – Euston Square
21073 Euston Square – Farringdon
21078 Farringdon – Barbican
Barbican – Moorgate
51639 Moorgate – Angel
51638 Angel – Euston

Back at Euston I head upstairs for the train home, realising that I had missed the 2100 by 5 minutes I look at the destination board to see what time the next train to Manchester was and to my horror I couldn’t see one, I found a member of staff and asked the dreaded question “Have I missed the last train to Manchester?” and the reply was yes, on Saturdays the last train is at 2100 to Manchester!!! Stranded, in London and I am supposed to be leading a walk for the walking group in the morning, my phone was down to 8% and I didn’t know what I was going to do. I went out of the station and checked a few of the hotels in the area and all were full, I returned to the station to see if I could locate a charging point for my phone so that I could search for somewhere on the internet to stay and found the burger restaurant on the mezzanine but they informed me that the section of the restaurant was closed where the charging points where, I ordered some food and explained the situation and they were kind enough to allow me to eat and charge my phone to find somewhere to stay in the closed section of the restaurant, but my first job was to phone a friend to see if he could lead my walk tomorrow, thankfully he could so I now owe him several pints. After searching booking.com the cheapest I could find, and one I had stayed in previous was at Kilburn but with the short notice, it being Saturday night and it being London it was ching!! It doesn’t take long to spend £160.10!! So it was back off to the underground to head towards my impromptu stop for the night, I had already decided if I am paying this amount of money for accommodation I am going to make the most of tomorrow as well.

51626 Euston – Kings Cross St. Pancras
21025 Kings Cross St. Pancras – Baker Street
3559 Baker Street – Paddington
3254 Paddington – Kilburn Park

New routes:

Woodford Junction to Newbury Park
Northwood to Watford (Metropolitan line)
Uxbridge to Harrow North Junction
Rayners Lane to Sudbury Hill

Underground lines completed:

Metropolitan line
Central line

Finally arrived and checked in to my hotel and after a shower and a brew I head off to bed from what has turned out to be a very eventful day with 83 red pens, 33 new shacks, 4 new sections of track, 2 underground lines completed, 1 missed train and 1 very expensive night in a hotel.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Ouchie on having to fork out that sort of money for a hotel room at short notice.

Just think how many more winners you would get if you included the other 3 parts on a central line service ;)

andyb2706

I set the alarm for 0800, well it’s a Sunday morning and not much will be running so I can sleep in, well that was the plan. I was awake for 0600 so decide to check when the underground starts running and was surprised the Bakerloo line started just after 0700, so I freshen up and am checking out of the hotel for 0730 and heading across the road to Tesco to purchase some breakfast before heading off to the underground station to purchase my travelcard. Down on the platform I don’t have long to wait and my day starts at 0800 and I must say looking at the PIS I am surprised that almost form the start the underground operates a normal service like you would get during the week, very impressed.

3462 Kilburn Park – Maida Vale
3242 Maida Vale – Warwick Avenue
3432 Warwick Avenue – Paddington
3434 Paddington – Edgware Road
3449 Edgware Road – Marylebone
3456 Marylebone – Baker Street
3435 Baker Street – Regent’s Park
3233 Regent’s Park – Oxford Circus
3465 Oxford Circus – Piccadilly Circus
3438 Piccadilly Circus – Charing Cross
3431 Charing Cross – Embankment

My plan for today now that I have arrived at Embankment is to complete all the circle line stations that I have still got outstanding, which is still quite a lot. I decide to do it in the anti-clockwise direction, which proves to be the wrong decision as proceed along the line some incident occurs behind me resulting in hardly any circle line trains turning up, thank goodness for the Hammersmith & City line that came to the rescue.

21339 Embankment – Temple
21522 Temple – Blackfriars
21538 Blackfriars – Mansion House
Mansion House – Cannon Street
Cannon Street – Monument
Monument – Tower Hill
21365 Tower Hill – Aldgate
21045 Aldgate – Liverpool Street
21346 Liverpool Street – Moorgate
21345 Moorgate – Barbican
21558 Barbican – Farringdon
21557 Farringdon – Kings Cross St. Pancras
21068 Kings Cross St. Pancras – Euston Square
21059 Euston Square – Great Portland Street
21060 Great Portland Street – Baker Street
21382 Baker Street – Paddington
21381 Paddington – Royal Oak
Royal Oak – Westbourne Park
Westbourne Park – Ladbroke Grove
Ladbroke Grove – Latimer Road
Latimer Road – Wood Lane
Wood Lane – Shepherd’s Bush Market
Shepherd’s Bush Market –Goldhawk Road
Goldhawk Road – Hammersmith (Circle, Hammersmith & City)

Arriving at Hammersmith I have now completed all the stations on the Hammersmith & City line, another milestone completed. I left the station and did something I don’t normally like doing, I went into a pub to use the toilets and then left immediately, I did feel guilty about it but I wanted to get a move on. I now transfer to the Piccadilly/District line to head back to the circle line stations so that I can complete them too.

369 Hammersmith (District/Piccadilly lines) – Barons Court
Barons Court – West Kensington
West Kensington – Earl’s Court
Earl’s Court – High Street Kensington
High Street Kensington – Notting Hill Gate
21433 Notting Hill Gate – Bayswater
Bayswater – Gloucester Road
Gloucester Road – South Kensington
South Kensington – Sloane Square
Sloane Square – St. James’s Park

St. James’s Park was my last required station on the circle line, it is amazing how quickly you can knock off these stations when you put your mind to it. My next target is the Victoria line, and like the Central line the stations I needed where either end of the line, so I head back along the Circle line to Victoria to start on the Victoria line.

21542 St. James’s Park – Victoria
11083 Victoria – Pimlico
Pimlico – Vauxhall
Vauxhall – Stockwell
11015 Stockwell – Brixton
11016 Brixton – Stockwell
11038 Stockwell – Vauxhall
11037 Vauxhall – Pimlico
11035 Pimlico – Victoria
11036 Victoria – Green Park
11054 Green Park – Oxford Circus
11053 Oxford Circus – Warren Street
11061 Warren Street – Euston
11062 Euston – Kings Cross St. Pancras
11088 Kings Cross St. Pancras – Highbury & Islington
11087 Highbury & Islington – Finsbury Park
11007 Finsbury Park – Seven Sisters
Seven Sisters – Tottenham Hale

With Seven Sisters and Tottenham Hale being visited that is now Victoria line completed with the only lines now outstanding are the Piccadilly line and District line, I will get them done at some point in the future.

11018 Tottenham Hale – Blackhorse Road
11078 Black Horse Road – Walthamstow Central
11077 Walthamstow Central – Blackhorse Road
11003 Blackhorse Road – Tottenham Hale
11031 Tottenham Hale – Seven Sisters
11032 Seven Sisters – Finsbury Park
11089 Finsbury Park – Highbury & Islington
11090 Highbury & Islington – Kings Cross St. Pancras
11051 Kings Cross St. Pancras – Euston
11052 Euston – Warren Street

I could have easily carried on the Victoria line as there still appeared to be a load of required stock knocking around but I wanted to head off home at a reasonable time due to being in the same clothes for 48 hours, plus Stoke where playing at Tottenham, there was six nations match at Twickenham and the EFL Cup Final was on at Wembley so the trains back up to Stoke and Manchester where likely to be very busy this evening. I transfer to the Northern line to head back to Euston.

51521 Warren Street – Euston

Back at Euston I head straight for the train as the train was under 10 minutes off and boarded a dud 390157 for the trip home at 1500, the earliest I have ever headed home from London!

Today’s score is 3 underground line completed, 73 new red pens and 27 new shacks.

Although unplanned I have had two enjoyable days in London and look forward to the next time I do a Travelcard, although I might have to watch what I am doing.

noddy1878

Established Member
What an incredible haul! Unfortunate you missed you last train though but at least you made the most of it!

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Sounds like one heck of a good haul in London!

For future reference, there is a 2200 VTEC departure to Leeds on a Saturday which would have at least put you in the right direction, albeit the next service from Leeds to Manchester was an 0220 replacement bus service...

andyb2706

What an incredible haul! Unfortunate you missed you last train though but at least you made the most of it!

After forking out that type of money I was going to make the most of the Sunday. Was a good couple of days in London.

Last edited:

Keith Jarrett

Shame about missing the last one back on Saturday night by a small margin. Presumably a night tube bash was out of the question? (just thinking how many red pens would have been achieved)

andyb2706

Shame about missing the last one back on Saturday night by a small margin. Presumably a night tube bash was out of the question? (just thinking how many red pens would have been achieved)

I did think about it for a few minutes, but with working nights I did not want to be up all night when I didn't have to be.

andyb2706

Today is more of an ale train day with a few colleagues from work, but seeing it was my trip to organise I thought I would plan it for a line I hadn’t travelled along and of course a few new shacks.

At 0730 my alarm wakes me which gives me ample time to prepare and leave my home just before 0900 and make my way to Wythenshawe Park and the Airport line curse strikes again when I am about 150 metres from the stop a tram pulls out resulting in a 12-minute wait for the next one, this may be tight now for me getting to Manchester Victoria on time, not a good thing for the tour organiser to be late! After waiting 12 minutes (which seemed much longer than that! - Ed.) dud 3081 arrived and I boarded it, the plan was to go as far as St. Werburgh’s Road and then change onto a Rochdale bound tram to take me to Manchester Victoria but as we arrived at St. Werburgh’s Road I could see a Rochdale/Shaw tram pulling out in front of us and the PIS stated the next one was in 6 minutes time and with the time issue I decide to remain on the tram I am on as far as Deansgate-Castlefield where I would have the option of either a Rochdale/Shaw or Bury tram to take me to Manchester Victoria.

At Deansgate-Castlefield I leave the tram and wait for a tram to Manchester Victoria, with 20 minutes until my train from Manchester Victoria I knew I had enough time to hang on for the Shaw/Rochdale tram that was only now 4 minutes off so let a pair of dud trams to Bury depart. Dud 3031 arrives for Shaw and I board and there was a specific reason I wanted this the Rochdale/Shaw tram because on depart St. Peters Square we turned left and headed onto to newly opened 2CC and new track for me, it’s only been open for just over 24 hours and I have already cleared it. A word of advice, if you are tram hunting in Manchester the best place to position yourself in my opinion will be St. Peters Square as the only trams you do not see are the ones operating the Bury – Piccadilly and Deansgate Castlefield – Manchester Airport routes. Also, if you want to travel to Manchester Victoria from St. Peters Square it is so much quicker over the 2CC than the old route.
At Manchester Victoria I head off to meet my work friends and wait for our train on platform 5, while standing there a service to Blackburn leaves but goes towards Rochdale, even to today I still cannot get used to the fact that trains for Blackburn can go eastwards as well as westwards. Not long afterwards a dud 156460 arrives and we board for our trip to Clitheroe, at Bolton we are joined by another friend and off we go. On departing Blackburn I am on new track travelling to Clitheroe.

At Clitheroe (my first new shack for the day) we leave the train and head off into the town, after a stroll up to Clitheroe Castle, while one of my colleagues went half way up and turned back to go to the pub, the rest of us continued to the top and admired the few for a while and eavesdropped into someone else’s tour, once we had enough we headed down to the first pub stop of the day and a new pub for me the New Inn, if trade description act applied to naming of pubs they would be in trouble, the clothed seat benches were getting a bit thread bare and the décor was tired, however the pint of Pride of Pendle (a new brew for me) went down nicely, after finishing there we still had over an hour for our next planned train….so what should we do now? I know let’s visit the Inn by the Railway pub, this pub was a lot more modern and lacked a bit of character, but yet again the pint of Bread of Heaven was a first for me and enjoyable, we had time for another pint here but it was lunch and I wanted to put some food on my stomach before continue drinking, so I left the rest of the guys drinking while I strolled up the rod to the butchers I saw earlier and purchased a Steak Canadian with Mushrooms and Onions sandwich, I returned to the pub with my sandwich and stood in front of the window that my friends were sat in front of and scoffed the sandwich in front of them so they could see, a few obscene gestures were sent in my direction but I had the last laugh because the sandwich was awesome.

Back at the station and the train was stood waiting and was formed of a dud unit 150226 which was to take us to our next station which was required station of Whalley, the station is about a 10-minute walk from the village centre, which ever route we took, so we decided to go via the abbey with views of the viaduct we had travelled over, under the impressive abbey gate and then on pass the ancient churches and abbey of Whalley before arriving on the main street where at the centre of the village is a mini roundabout with four, yes four pubs (basically one on each corner! – Ed.) the first pub we visited was The De Lacy Arms where a Lancaster Bomber was consumed, this pub was slightly tired and quiet, but a nice village pub. The following pub was The Swan Hotel, a fairly modern pub which caters to serving food and is a little too modern if you know what I mean, but the Pheasant Plucker I had was a nice brew, then it was off to the third pub, the best of the lot in my opinion and the best named beer I had during the day. The pub was The Dog Inn, this pub was the local, a brilliant atmosphere, the busiest of the three, quirky pictures and items hanging on the walls (all to do with dogs, hunting and fishing), the bar staff was really friendly the pint of Old Slapper was cracking. We never got to do the fourth pub as this pub was closed today so on leaving the pub it was back to the railway station for a dud 156460 to take us to the final pub of the day at Entwistle, this station is a dud one, also the pub is but I don’t care as I saved the best till last.

At Entwistle (which is a request stop – Ed.) we leave the train and head up the slope to exit the station and the pub is just across the road from the station. The pub is only accessible by train, car or on foot. There is no bus service. This pub has exposed beams and a homely feeling and having eaten here in the past this is where I had planned for us to have dinner. I purchased a pint of Strawbury Duck and once we had all placed our food order I settled back into the high back leather/cloth seat to chill before moving to the table for the food and what a feast I had ordered. Bury Black Pudding with poached egg and crispy bacon for starters, followed by homemade fisherman’s pie and sticky toffee pudding with ice cream for dessert….I could not move for half an hour after that. There were a few mumbles about the cost from some of them as they usually eat in Wetherspoons but as I point out you pay for what you get and they had to concede that the food was stunning. If you are shack hunting along the Bolton – Blackburn corridor I would recommend that with it being an hourly service to have Entwistle as a lunch/dinner stop and allow yourself to miss the next train and spend a couple of hours in the pub to enjoy the food, drink and hospitality of the pub, they are open from 11am.

So with the day drawing to an end we bid farewell to our hosts at The Strawbury Duck and head back to the station, the darkness has now brought the freezing cold with it and one of the group has requested that he should stick his hand out to request the train to stop to pick us up, actually as the train approached he got his handkerchief out and waved it above his head to request the train to stop and it turned out to be a dud 142034, which as usual with it being cold outside it was freezing on the train and our hats and gloves remained on for the entire journey back to Manchester Victoria.
Back at Victoria I bid farewell to my friends and head off to the tram stop and have to sprint a short section to pick up the dud 3030 tram for East Didsbury which I remain on until Trafford Bar where I leave it with one of my mates from today’s trip as he wants a Altrincham tram (by the way, with this journey I have now done the 2CC in both directions! – Ed.) His tram arrived a few minutes before mine so I bid farewell and waited for dud 3081 to take me home to Wythenshawe Park.

Although not a true train bash day I can’t complain with new lines, new stations and new beers. A thoroughly productive day.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Congrats on being one of the first of the regular trip reporters to do the 2CC ;)

Sounded like some good company with some good ales

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That day sounds like quite the enjoyable one, and some mighty fine pubs along the way too. I shall have to load Untappd in a bit and look more closely at what you drunk :)

Nice work on getting 2CC in, I really need to get it done. Problem is I also need to save money for my ALR bash in June!

andyb2706

It was a late start this morning, as I was still not too sure what I was going to do today. As the alarm went off at 0730 I got up and had some breakfast and waited until 0900 to leave the house to call at the shops to pick up some cat food as I know I wouldn’t want to be doing that later then it was off to Sale Water Park to pick up a tram that was an off-peak service. I didn’t have long to wait for dud 3109 to arrive to take me to onto Deansgate-Castlefield, it is so much better now the Airport line goes into the city centre.

At Deansgate-Castlefield Metrolink start teasing me again 3099 and 3115 are both heading off towards East Didsbury…. totally in the wrong direction yet again!! Although 3115 was needed for first sighting, a few trams later and dud 3074 arrives operating a service to Ashton which I travel on as far as Piccadilly, I’ve decided to head off to London and okay it is going to be between 1230 and 1300 when I arrive but I will still have a good 7-8 hours of haulage and with the amount I still need I should get a fair whack, and it starts at Manchester Piccadilly. I start to head off for the 1035 Virgin Train to Euston and notice on the adjoining platform a ATW 175 working the 1030 to Milford Haven and on checking the unit I discover 175004 is a required unit so a quick change of plan and I hop onto the ATW for a short ride to Stockport. Arriving at Stockport I remain on the same platform and a few minutes later a dud 390124 arrives to take me onto London, where I settle back and get on with my logs and reports.

On arriving at London Euston, after a PNB stop I head off on foot across to St Pancras International to pick up Thameslink to South of the Thames, having let the first dud train go I board a required 319433 for a one station hop to Farringdon, here I leave the train and wait for the following train and as I wait an idea begins to form in my head as to what I want to do. The Brighton train arrives and is formed of dud 377520 and required for both sighting and haulage 377509, which of course I board and will travel on as far as East Croydon, the journey itself was slow, I could has sworn we must be late but I checked RTT as we passed through Herne Hill and we were still on time! During the journey to East Croydon I saw three new sightings for the class 700 (004/031/036).

At East Croydon I wanted to work my way to Clapham Junction but I couldn’t figure it out so I jumped on required 377136 to my first new shack of the day in the form of Norwood Junction where I had a short wait for my second new class 377 in 377138 for the trip to London Bridge which resulted in a new section of track for me between New Cross Gate and Southwark Park Junction. This trip resulted in my first visit to London Bridge since the completion of the new bay platforms and although I did not have a look at the new lower concourse the station is starting to look impressive. Today I was trying to avoid the underground, but to no avail….so I headed down to the Jubilee line and boarded a required 96071 as far as Southwark where I then transferred to the second half set of this train which was also required in the form of 96088.

At London Waterloo I knew which trains I was after today so walked the line to find the trains I wanted and my first unit was a double whammy as I needed it for both sight and haulage in the form of 458501 which I took as far as my new shack of Barnes, here I left the train and had a 10-minute wait for required 458502 (am I going to work through these numerically on this trip? – Ed.) to my next new shack of Mortlake.

At Mortlake I cross to the opposite platform and have a 13 minute fester for a pair of dud 455 units in the form of 5849 and 5855, so I board the former for the trip back to Barnes, where I cross to the opposite platform and with a 16-minute fester a few passing units where spotted including a first sighting of Colas 66846, once the fester had ended I was on board a required (for haulage and sighting – Ed.) 458527 which takes me to Kew Bridge, I have now travelled along the entire length of the Hounslow Loop but I still require a few of the shacks, so that is my next target.

At Kew Bridge I have a 5-minute wait for my next train which is on the opposite platform and am pleased to find it is also a required 458526 to take me onto my next new shack of the day which is Barnes Bridge.

At Barnes Bridge I have a 15-minute fester, which I am pretty glad with because it is quite a hike around to the opposite platform when a pair of required 450’s arrive in the form of 450001 and 450003, I board the former as far as Chiswick where I swap units via the platform and board 450003 as far as my next new shack of Brentford where I again swapped platform to when a pair of required 450’s arrive and I board 450103 before transferring to 450080 at Barnes as far as Clapham Junction.

As I arrive at Clapham Junction on the opposite platform was 707003 that must have been out on training or testing and as the train I was on drew down the platform I noticed that also 707005 was coupled to 003 (005 is new for sightings), within a minute the 707’s left the platform towards the city and only shortly afterwards they were entering the sidings. After 10 minutes my next new red pen arrived in the form of 458518 which I take as far as Wandsworth Town, my plan was to remain here until my next new red pen turns up and after 14 minutes a pair of 450’s arrive so I board 450018 to Clapham Junction where I then transfer to 450026 as far as Queenstown Road.

At Queenstown Road I have a 5 minute wait for a required 458 to arrive attached to a dud one so I board 458534 to Clapham Junction, where 5 minutes later a required 450549 arrives on a Reading service which I take as far as Richmond. With a 11 minute fester a pair of required 458’s arrive with 458533 being on the rear which I take as far as Whitton where I transfer to 458506 to Feltham.

At Feltham I had planned to get on the next service towards Reading to get a couple of new stations but the units were both dud and with time now getting on I decide I should be heading back into the city and head home so I cross to the other platform when a pair of required 450’s and board 450081 as far as Twickenham and then transfer to 450040 to Richmond.

At Richmond I leave the train and wait for my next required unit and only have a few minutes to wait for required 5864 to take me Barnes, it takes another 12 minutes before my next required unit to arrive which is 458532 which I take all the way back to London Waterloo where I head straight down to the Northern line to head back to London Euston. I decide to grab a few tube trains on the way back and the first train to turn up is formed a required half set in the form of 51726 which I take as far as Embankment where I let the next train to depart before a pair of required half sets arrive so I take 51513 to Charing Cross and transfer to 51514 to Leicester Square and wait for the next train which again is a pair of required half sets but decide to get this train all the way back to Euston. I board 51676 as far as Goodge Street where I then transfer to 51675 back to Euston.

Back at Euston I head upstairs and head for a PNB before heading to get a Burger King and off to the platform 13 for the train, even before it is on the boards…thanks RTT. The train is formed of a dud 390115, and I get a table window seat to charge my phone, when everyone else starts to board the train soon gets packed and an additional stop to Milton Keynes. Speaking to some of my fellow passengers this is due to the 1920 to Manchester Piccadilly had been cancelled.

Back at Piccadilly the usual happened when I went down to the Metrolink station and that was I would have to wait for over 10 minutes for the next tram so I decide to walk over to St. Peters Square and pick up a tram from there. It still did no good as a dud 3062 took me as far as Deansgate-Castlefield and from there to Sale Water Park dud 3029.

Although a late start it has been a grand day with 30 new red pens and 6 new shacks, I am now realising I do not need to start at stupid o’clock in the morning to have a good day in London.

noddy1878

Established Member
Another productive day! The thames link trains from the core to Easy Croydon currently take an eternity as they drag themselves through south london! It's really painful!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Someone else who's had 377509! When will it be my turn?!

Considering the late start that's a mighty fine set of results, both in terms of shacks and haulages!

Status
Not open for further replies.