• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'angled end train' on A428 near Caxton Gibbet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotted by family member...any ideas? Never seen anything like that round there!

"A dull/darkish blue train with an angled end on the A428 east of Caxton Gibbet, Cambs Tue 4 Dec around 1030 travelling west ... on a low loader"

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nat67

Established Member
Could it not be a 'Peak' on the move from Nene Valley as the diesels have been booted out. 45041 or 46045 there both in blue.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
GWR HST power car sounds possible, as are they not storing some of these sets after coming out of service at Potter Group sidings Ely, Cambridgeshire?

sprinterguy

Established Member
Could it not be a 'Peak' on the move from Nene Valley as the diesels have been booted out. 45041 or 46045 there both in blue.
Highly unlikely seeing as it was seen heading towards the Nene Valley Railway at a location well to the east of there.

I would think that sd0733s' suggestion of an ex-GWR HST power car is most plausible, seeing as a number of off lease ex-GWR HST carriage rakes are being stored at the nearby Ely Papworth sidings.

Last edited:

Steve Harris

Highly unlikely seeing as it was seen heading towards the Nene Valley Railway at a location well to the east of there.
I think you need to survey an Atlas. As Caxton Gibbet is more south than east from Wansford ! (Probably 3 times more south than east according to Google).

I do concur that it probably was an ex GW HST power car though.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I think you need to survey an Atlas. As Caxton Gibbet is more south than east from Wansford ! (Probably 3 times more south than east according to Google).
Duly noted, I've usually little reason to consider how much further south Cambridge (and its environs) are compared to Peterborough.

nat67

Established Member

I would think that sd0733s' suggestion of an ex-GWR HST power car is most plausible, seeing as a number of off lease ex-GWR HST carriage rakes are being stored at the nearby Ely Papworth sidings.
Ok, ok I guess as you say, maybe being picked it up by road to go to Brush? But which power car? speculation.

Afraid no pics, I had wondered about an HST off Ely though so let's go with that. Route to Loughborough sort of makes sense. Ish.

On Moderation
Afraid no pics, I had wondered about an HST off Ely though so let's go with that. Route to Loughborough sort of makes sense. Ish.
All the other power cars moved from Ely to Brush have gone by rail.

There is that. I guess if one couldn't for some reason it would get trailered. Can't think of anything else though. Will show family some pics of what they look like...

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Spotted by family member...any ideas? Never seen anything like that round there!

"A dull/darkish blue train with an angled end on the A428 east of Caxton Gibbet, Cambs Tue 4 Dec around 1030 travelling west ... on a low loader"

If it was wrapped in Christmas paper, it could be a big Christmas present for someone! :lol: ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.