• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anglesey railway track clear-up brings Gaerwen-Amlwch reopening closer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
yes great - I wonder what condition the track formation is in? I would suggest it will not be in great nick!

Has the NR/WAG feasibility study into the reopening of the line been completed?

PinzaC55

If the line hasn't been used for nearly 20 years I would think clearing leaves off the track is more of a publicity stunt than anything else.
Tampers, Ballast Cleaners, new sleepers and S&T personnel would be more impressive.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
In the previous thread on this subject some time ago, was it not stated that there was a political input from a certain politician concerning rail expansion in Ynys Mon, but that the costings that were being looked at seemed to put this project on "the back burner".

I am sure that if this new thread is viewed by the contributors the the previous thread, an updating of the political situation affecting Ynys Mon could shed more financial light on this matter.

jones_bangor

In the previous thread on this subject some time ago, was it not stated that there was a political input from a certain politician concerning rail expansion in Ynys Mon, but that the costings that were being looked at seemed to put this project on "the back burner".

I am sure that if this new thread is viewed by the contributors the the previous thread, an updating of the political situation affecting Ynys Mon could shed more financial light on this matter.

I don't think there's much change there - it's a shame this track was not properly mothballed with a weed train every spring / summer, reopening costs would have been much less I'm sure.

Maybe now that Wylfa B plans have gone "pop", with only the Russians' (Rosatom) as potential saviours, an infrastructure investment such as this might attract more interest?

Jonny

Established Member
If that's £25 million, how much the Leamside Line?

DaveHarries

Established Member
Just seen a link to the full report from NR - click here

Chris
A very interesting document. Just a couple of thoughts:

1. Anyone notice on pages 13 & 84 of the document that Rhosneigr station is named twice on that map?

2. Glad to see that the report, on page 16, states that attempts will be made to do the signalling work with a "minimal amount of changes to the existing signal box’s interlocking, lever frame, and associated signalling". Seems as if some mechanics will be lost but what they could do is to get some semaphore signals from elsewhere which would therefore allow some (if there are any) redundant levers in Gaerwen box to be put back into use. That would eliminate the need for any LEDs to be installed excluding, perhaps, one just before the crossing which might need a junction arm. Unless they use a double-bracket signal of the sort found at, for example, Par with signal PR5, shown here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neil_harvey_railway_photos/6852563657/

I see that they go into this towards the end of the document though.

Dave

SIGGY56

They took the Amlwch line connection off the main line at Gaerwen due to the condition of the points. All signalling is still intact to and from the branch - the latest I heard that they want to relay the trailing crossover in the facing direction !

Status
Not open for further replies.